best IPS penel for gaming?

tazza

n00b
I'm looking for an IPS panel because im a graphic designer but I play a lot of games too. Is there a IPS monitor that is good for gaming? No ghosting and no input lag? noticeable anyway

thanks

The Asus PA238Q is currently the best, just make sure you can get one from a place with a good exchange policy. Read my post in the official thread.

It is true 8bit, has no lag and is the fastest (tied with the Eizo Foris FS2332 but it is 600$). If you are in Canada I recommend getting Staples to price match New Egg (110% price match), but you have to email them to do so. The Asus has aggressive matte anti-glare coating which makes whites+light colors look grainy and you may mistake picture noise for the anti-glare grain or vice versa. If you have the money I would opt for the Eizo since it has less grainy coating.

Here is a forigen review
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/asus-pa238q-hobby-grafik-nad-kvalitou-zajasa

Also PRAD.de gives it their highest rating but their review is not up for free yet, scroll down to see that the Asus+Eizo get a Very Good rating vs Good for Dell U2412.

The Asus PA238Q is currently the best, just make sure you can get one from a place with a good exchange policy. Read my post in the official thread.

It is true 8bit, has no lag and is the fastest (tied with the Eizo Foris FS2332 but it is 600$). If you are in Canada I recommend getting Staples to price match New Egg (110% price match), but you have to email them to do so. The Asus has aggressive matte anti-glare coating which makes whites+light colors look grainy and you may mistake picture noise for the anti-glare grain or vice versa. If you have the money I would opt for the Eizo since it has less grainy coating.

Here is a forigen review
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/asus-pa238q-hobby-grafik-nad-kvalitou-zajasa

Also PRAD.de gives it their highest rating but their review is not up for free yet, scroll down to see that the Asus+Eizo get a Very Good rating vs Good for Dell U2412.

cool thanks for the info. how would the Asus PA238Q compare to the Asus PA246Q? Would the Asus PA246Q be better? for gaming?

There is a reason I said the PA238Q is currently the best

Yea, I would be interesting in knowing the reason as well. The PA246Q looks like a pretty nice monitor.

Which was what exactly, is his question.

Which I answered by posting that the PA238Q and Eizo are the best and did not mention the PA246Q.

The PA246Q is a waste of money because you are paying a premium for wide gamut color which is pointless unless your work requires WG support, it has 1 frame of input lag (18ms) and mediocre contrast (33% less=greyish blacks washed out colors) compared to the PA238Q, U2412m and Eizo mentioned above.

@NCX
review you posted states clearly "6+2-bit, 16,7 mil." so it's far from being 8bit :rolleyes:
also you said it skips frames at >60Hz so how come this be the best IPS for gaming? :eek:

Dell U2311H is much better 23" as it do 77Hz without problems and is CCFL not crappy LED :rolleyes:

PA238Q is true 8 bit+10 bit LUT which may be useful for a graphics designer. PRAD rates the Asus higher:p

Most people won't use custom refresh rates and many games don't support them. The quality control for the U2311H was non-existent, not only did it have horrendous backlight issues but suffered from tinting as well. PA238Q's just have bleeding issues but this is unavoidable with any panel type these days, including the 1000$ NEC displays.

Wow, what the hell. Why won't they release that here? Some of those are really good.

And you can choose glossy, semi-glossy or matte, AG is not a problem!
They include Mitsubishi's unique MP engine, mode, 3D and 120 Hz just for gaming or movie, you can choose what you want, and most of those are IPS panel.

PA238Q is true 8 bit+10 bit LUT which may be useful for a graphics designer. PRAD rates the Asus higher:p

Most people won't use custom refresh rates and many games don't support them. The quality control for the U2311H was non-existent, not only did it have horrendous backlight issues but suffered from tinting as well. PA238Q's just have bleeding issues but this is unavoidable with any panel type these days, including the 1000$ NEC displays.

Actually, there are hardly any games that DON'T support custom refresh rates (out of my 60+ games installed, none have the issue, and I got many others not installed right now that work just fine as well) as long as you do the EDID override trick, which isn't that hard to do anyway.

I would have thought by now you would have realized there was a reason for mentioning certain monitors and not others and possibly read the links+reviews provided.

yes but the link you provided is in a different language and only supplies a satisfactory or well, or very well rating. I just wanted to gather more information and peoples opinions on certain monitors. I need to know more than a simple rating, like why etc. my bad

I would have thought by now you would have realized there was a reason for mentioning certain monitors and not others and possibly read the links+reviews provided.

Usually, it means someone wasn't aware of the other models if they aren't mentioning them in a direct comparison of similar ones.

Don't worry about it though Tazza, hopefully someone who actually knows will chime in... I haven't kept up with these models too much lately so I unfortunately can't help a lot on this one :(.

2410 uses the same panel as the PA246Q which is the newer slightly better version, both are a waste of $ unless one needs wide gamut support and have mediocre contrast. No point in mentioning bad monitors which are also a waste of $ and not meant for gaming. The Eizo FS2332>PA238Q>2412m=best IPS for gaming in that order.

Using google chrome or just plain old google to translate other languages (as in the review links posted) works well. PRAD has reviewed all of these monitors, which is why I posted their review page (their review of the Asus is not up for free yet but the other review I posted is just as good) hoping people could figure out to scroll down rather than having to be babied constantly. A simple X monitor review google search would also suffice.

Last edited:
Wait for HP ZR2440w reviews to come, might become a really good monitor.

yes but the link you provided is in a different language and only supplies a satisfactory or well, or very well rating. I just wanted to gather more information and peoples opinions on certain monitors. I need to know more than a simple rating, like why etc. my bad

www.bing.com

www.google.com

Also every hardware forum on the Internet..thousands of them, all have a search function.

what do you guys think of the DELL ULTRASHARP U2410?
it happens I have this one and it's good in motion handling :)
wouldn't be my choice if I searched LCD for gaming because of only-60Hz operation and 14ms input lag but overall it's very good and have faster panel than most monitors because H-IPS is faster. Have also weaker RTC and that is very good thing for me as I just hate RTC artifacts but it make this monitor somewhat slower in some transaction. Still imho better to have natural transactions in below 16ms than some transictions slower and some faster but with artifacts...

This monitor also have annoyance: to get sRGB/aRGB and 14ms you have to enable game mode (that have ugly colors) and then open menu once again and select desired mode and not click it but wait until menu disappears :rolleyes:

Having mainly fast paced FPS gaming in mind I would grab something on CCFL and with 77Hz and good panel like Dell U2209WA but if it doesn't have to be "best for gaming" then U2410 is very good too :)

ps. contrast is on par with all else IPSes. Some have slightly better but off angle they loose it very fast so overall are not better at all. Stability is imho more important because lack of it makes imperfect contrast much more visible :eek: also contrast can be increased in service menu. It don't void warranty so it's one of first thing to do after switching it on for first time ;)

@NCX
then throw some evidence at us that this asus have truly 8bit panel and not 6bit like every other 23" LED e-IPS

On a budget, I'd say HP LP2475W, Got mine for really cheap and it runs game so smooth I've never seen any ghosting and that's all that really matters.

HP lp2475 is not good compared to modern IPS, hopefully you paid no more than 300$ for it since the superior Dell 2412m can be purchased for around 320$.

@XOR The Asus info is available right on the product page as well as in PRAD.de's review but it is not up for free yet. It couldn't have a 10bit LUT if it was 6+FRC.

The other monitors you recommend all have mediocre contrast, so who cares if you can view them way off angle especially since the viewing angles are good on the "e-ips models" as it is. I got a dud Asus, contrast ratio is <700:1, it looks washed and the blacks are greyish unless you have a light blasting on it.

@NCX
AFCR operate on higher bit-depth. Look at 24" PA, it's 8bit and have 12bit LUT. Sole reason A-FCR is able to do it's trick of emulating all colors is because it uses more bitdepth, probably 10bit for 6bit panels and 12bit for 8bit ones. Also most even TN monitors that are obviously 6bit can use higher bitdepth of VGA port by not showing banding after gamma changes.

as for U2410, it's contrast can be increased in service menu. Probably in your Asus too :)
and from Czech review this asus have only 22% more CR than U2410. So both are "medicore" at best...

I don't really understand your hate for WCG-CCFL monitors... those have very good sRGB emulation (check ixbt.com measurements done with spectrometer) and way more natural light spectrum than any other technology, especially W-LED that have too much violet. I can tolerate 380cd/m2 of my U2410 but couldn't watch more than 200cd/m2 of my previous LED monitor because it seemed "too bright" even if obviously wasn't... :eek:

I can only agree on LP2475 with you but not fully. It's not good display (no sRGB/aRGB emulation), though U2412M is not superior, it's just better. U2410 is this HP superior :)

ps. ixbt measured your Asus @700:1 CR so they were closest to reality so far ;)

Dell U2412 is a great monitor for it's price point ($300-325) .. the IPS glow on it is a bit on the high side and the AG coating is still thicker then it needs to be, about the same as my 2311h was. I'm still quite pleased with it and the 16:10 as well. I don't know if you can find 'better' IPS glow without a polarizer though.

I like my HP ZR2740w.

Virtually no Input lag and with overdrive to the max in CCC it's pretty blur free too and @2560x1440 to boot.

Back