Best headphones for $200 +/-?

Grado recently released a refresh on their line of headphones. I'd check out the SR125e's.

But since you'll be mobile most of the time, I think you'd really like the Bose AE2's. I know there's lots of hate surrounding them, but they're great for travel. They will be easily driven by phone, are very comfortable, and fold for storage.

I second the Grado suggestion. They seemed to be overlooked a bit lately as other manufacturers churn out new models and eye catching designs. Their reputation for synergy with rock and acoustic music is absolutely deserved. The SR225 was traditionally considered the sweet spot in the price:quality ratio in their lineup. I'll assume the same applies in their newest "E" refresh.

OK now I'm looking for something around $150, preferably less.

From what I've heard Grados suck for gaming.

OK now I'm looking for something around $150, preferably less.

From what I've heard Grados suck for gaming.

They suck big time for gaming. Grados are fantastic but only for certain genre's of music. They are a great low cost solution and made in NYC. But again they suck for gaming.

Well, it looks like the Philips Fidelio X2 is coming. I'd imagine it's price point will be beyond the budget limit, though.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729413/philips-fidelio-x2-a-review-by-baycode

Problem with that whole impressions article is that it almost looks like a knock off. Philips has gone on record to say they will not be making any more headphones. And some in that thread seem to think someone simply upgraded the cushions to be removable and that the resemble other replacement cushions seen on knock off brands.

Philips is suppose to be announcing some new products in Sept so maybe we'll get confirmation. Even if we do they will be Europe only for a while (like 6-8 months) so the waiting game probably won't pay off.

The sonic impression from these supposed X2's are very good and some complaints about the X1 (not sure if there where many..) seem to have been addressed. However they seem like the exact .. EXACT same driver and if that's the case its going to be $200 for replaceable ear cushions (which is absurd , if you keep them clean they will last) and a waiting game for North America release.

I would still recommend the X1's to you regardless.

m50's all the way, not gonna find something that sounds this great for music that also sounds this great for gaming IMO not anywhere else in the price range.

The soundstage is small on the M50s. It seems to be a pretty unanimous opinion.

I was going to ask about those again. They seem great for gaming but bad for electronica. How are they for alt rock and why are they bad for electronica?

From what I've heard it's the Phillips X1s. But look through the thread and if you don't find what you need, create a new thread. Don't steal threads.

I'm sorry, as I'm sure you get these types of threads a LOT. But I'm just gonna create a new one, since all the threads I've found didn't ask exactly what I'm looking for: a pair of 'phones for $200 (would prefer around $150, am okay with up to $250 if it's really worth it), good for electronica (I listen to many of the sub generas), great for gaming, and they have to be somewhat mobile (not looking for anything crazy light, just something that doesn't limit me to one place). This means I need something that doesn't need a DAC/AMP to sound good (I will be driving them with a laptop, a phone rarely, and a desktop the year after next).

So far I've been looking at:

Phillips X1
Beyerdynamic DT700 80ohm
Beyerdynamic DT900 250ohm (will need to ask Santa Clause for a amp)
Yamaha MT220 (the people who have them seem to love them, but few people have them)
Shure 440s

P.S. Don't limit yourself to that $200. As said, I'm more then willing to do $250 if it's really worth it. But if it's only slightly better then a similar $200 pair, I'm not gonna do it.

Hi... I just googled them Yamaha MT220's I haven't listened too them but I'm eager to try them out if i get a chance now..they seem pretty good based on the limited info available...

I have listend to the Shure 440s they are sort of bright in my view... and while portable the design of these is not nearly as robust as the AudioTechnia M50(M50X / M40X ~about the same price as the 440s is the M40X which seem to be getting pretty favorable reviews for $100~ ...) I have owned the M50's for awhile .. they are very rugged and they are my monitoring / travel headphone of choice.. sound stage is sort of small as mentioned previously Hardcore gamers might not dig it.

I also own the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s these are great cans easy to drive with a phone or whatever... great bass (lots of bass not overwhelming like some..but lots of bass... the m50's have a pretty good deal of bass also.)

at home I use the DT770s mainly...

most of the senns mentioned here are going to pretty much need a amp and are going to be open designs so if you need something to isolate noise in / out not such a good options.

Back