BenQ VW2410H or Asus ML239H?

Skipper007

Limp Gawd
Been looking at these since ++++ has the Asus for $230 Canadian and the BenQ for $200 Canadian. As far as I know, the advantages of each option are:

BenQ:
+actually 8 bit rather than 6bit + FRC
+1 inch larger
+$30 cheaper and has a DVI port, so I won't need a DVI to HDMI adaptor

Asus:
+IPS panel, so it has better viewing angles
+IPS panel, so it has faster response time

Since I'm generally not the person who notices lags easily, the main reason I'm holding back on the BenQ is the viewing angle, as reviewers have mentioned that while its better than a TN panel in this regard, there is still colour degradation at wide angles. Due to budget constraints, I won't have a TV at the apartment I'm moving into for a while. Yet I often show videos to 4-5 people at a time. I will most likely do this by putting the monitor on my coffee table and having people sit back around six feet, meaning that some people will definitely be off to the sides.

I'd go for the Asus. The only thing the BenQ has going for it is excellent black levels. Your issue is that if you are showing video to 4-5 people at a time I'm going to assume they are sitting next to each other and not on top of each other, and that's where MVA has more viewing angle issues (horizontally).

A DVI to HDMI cable is a cheap thing. I bought a 6 footer for $7.99 from Canada Computers a while back and it works fine.

Thanks for the feedback!

Turns out the Asus comes with a DVI to HDMI cable anyway and I was able to get ++++ to price match it to $201. Threw in the zero dead pixel warranty option for $10. Now I just need to wait for them to ship it from the warehouse to my local retail location (they don't charge shipping if you pick it up from one of their stores).

Good stuff. Let us know what you think of it.

I try and buy most monitors from them because of their dead pixel warranties and great customer service. The Markham, Ontario warehouse is 15 minutes from where I live, which is very convenient.

I have an EW2420 which I'm selling to a friend and while the black levels are top-notch, and don't rise much off-angle, and the anti-glare coating is very smooth, the response time is probably worse than my old BenQ FP241VW was. It's too bad, because otherwise this could be a top-notch budget monitor outside of this issue.

That 23" panel on the Asus is known to have decent response time when not overdriven and quite good response time when over driven.

Enjoy!

Really? I own a EW2420 too. I play COD on it and don't notice any sort of lag or slow response time. I love how its filled with connectors. I was going to recommend the EW2420 actually. Or you can also check out the EW2430. It's supposed to have improved slightly on picture quality and response time. The AG coating is very smooth and black levels are definately great. It's an ideal budget monitor that has great picture quality, deep blacks, LED backlit, AG coating, and multiple connectors: HDMI x2, DVI x1, D-Sub x1, USB x4. The response time is slower than IPS or TN though. Lots of people out there feel that IPS is getting more and more affordable, but do pay attention to the types of IPS. In my opinion VA panel surpasses e-IPS monitors, especially in picture quality and black levels. It's the e-IPS monitors that are affordable, not the S-IPS or H-IPS.

What exaclty do you use your EW2420 that felt like it had slow response time?

Back