BenQ BL2710PT Review: 2560x1440 Matte AHVA (AUO's Version of IPS/PLS)

1440p monitor is nish marked. 1440p Monitor with 1000:1 contrast for 500+€ hell no.

Yes but have in mind that U2713H is a more expensive model, comes with wide gamut that only a photographer can take advantage and bad pixel response means ghosting and overshoot clearly noticeable when for example you move one window across the screen...

I think you are confusing wide gamut over-saturation with "better" color quality. The U2713H's colors are more vibrant, but they are wrong for consumer media.

The U2713H's pixel response times are faster vs. most IPS/PLS=less color streaking, however it suffers from an aggressive overdrive solution which causes overshoot ghosting.

I think you are confusing wide gamut over-saturation with "better" color quality. The U2713H's colors are more vibrant, but they are wrong for consumer media.

The U2713H's pixel response times are faster vs. most IPS/PLS=less color streaking, however it suffers from an aggressive overdrive solution which causes overshoot ghosting.

Not at all, that's why I'm saying u2713h is more suitable for a professional.
Im aware of wide gamut over-saturation and together with overshoot these were the two reasons I gave up on this monitor. To my eyes though u2713h after calibration seemed superior in overall picture quality.
Anyway thanks for your clarifications.
So about Benq could u pls check uniformity of your unit's panel? Do you find it normal?

Last edited:
Got mine today.

I am not able to see any differences in white color. It is still the same. I tried Dead pixel test
to check it.

I have the same glow as presented here - easy visible from front side, when monitor is in black screen:
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...-ahva-auos-version-ips-pls-2.html#post1105544

Absolutely no backlight bleeding. Maybe very small point in the down left corner, but hardly to see.
I tried to use it in dark room for about one hour and my eyes did not hurt me at all.
Also OSD menu comes very intuitive to me and like that no button touch.

I am satisfied, the only question I have in my mind is, if this monitor is worth of the money I paid.

If the Dell U2713HM would not suffer from such backlight bleeding, I dont see any difference between these two. And is about 150 USD cheaper.

Well having tried both the U2713HM and now the BL2710PT I agree that more or less they perform the same. The good thing with BenQ though is that you don't get the bleeding and the cross-hatching crap of Dell's U2713HM. So yea I think it worth the extra money...

I am impressed with the color quality even from the factory.

Colors are imho amazing. If I compare it with the Asus PB278Q it is about 80% better.

Also the on/off button switch on the monitor's back comes usefull to me.

I dont have installed any game at the moment, so I tried some Windows mahjong,
where the bricks at the begining falling down very fast and did not notice any ghosting/picture
artefacts/frame delay. Very clear and sharp.

Now I would say cons only price and shorter power cord cable :)

Is this OK with bleeding, glow etc? Do you consider it a flawless 27 monitor?
I was heading for this one but unfortunately I had to pay 770 euros to get it in my country :(
So I opted to go with the Benq.
BenQ is better than Dells but it still has its flaws, so I may have to switch to the Viewsonic as well.

Sigh! Why is it so hard to get a decent 27' 1440p monitor?
I don't get it...

I agree that it's tough to find that perfect 27 inch monitor. Ive beenwaitimg nearly 5 years to find one I really liked. I actually don't notice any bleeding, and the PLS glow is a little less than any IPS I've seen, and not noticible really unless staring at a black screen. I wouldn't say flawless, but like NCX has said, it's a great choice. Then again, the BenQ is also a great choice. If the BenQ was significantly cheaper than 770 euros, id personally just wait until the next generation, so to speak.

so this benq monitor has contrast ratio of what again?

1,000:1 once set to the User Mode and the Color Temperature setting is set to User.

-------

Review should be finished by the end of next week. Busy with University homework & work.

Last edited:
1,000:1 once set to the User Mode and the Color Temperature setting is set to User.

-------

Review should be finished by the end of next week. Busy with University homework & work.

NCX how did you manage to achieve 1000:1 contrast? The maximum I could get was 798:1
I calibrated using User mode setting everywhere...

Profile.jpg

The maximum I could get was 798:1

Make sure to not let the calibration software set the brightness and RGB Levels. If you let the software automatically adjust these settings the contrast ratio will be reduced. The accuracy of your <unknown> colorimeter also makes a difference.

Got the BL2710PT aswell now, very satisfied coming from a crt and Samsung S27A350H(and before that eyefinity with 3x Benq G2420HD). Can not say I notice any input lag in comparison to the 3 year old samsung, and the ghosting is less than the samsung. Payed the same as the cost of a U2713HM.

Even though im used to crt gaming I did not have any issue going over to this in gaming, still plays alot of CS 1.6 and I do the same as always if not even better due to bigger screen and more details.

I also brought home the Dell U2713hm and a Eizo EV2736W-BK. Both the BenQ and Eizo has almost no backlight bleed at all. The blacks is so to say the same maybe a tiny bit better on the Eizo. While gaming I felt the BenQ to be superior so that is the only one im sticking with. The two other got delivered back. Going to get another one aswell probably with the next payment.

How does the AG coating compare between the BenQ and the Eizo?

On this BenQ monitor, I am able to play music and sounds on monitors inbuilt speakers,
using the digital output of my onboard soundcard only. Without any audio cable connection.

Very cool.

Make sure to not let the calibration software set the brightness and RGB Levels. If you let the software automatically adjust these settings the contrast ratio will be reduced. The accuracy of your <unknown> colorimeter also makes a difference.

OK thanks! My calibration tool is x-rite's i1 display pro

I work in a super quiet environment on large text documents with small fonts and a white document background. I have found that many monitors make a faint buzz/hum sound when I work on these documents. When I read reviews of panels at tftcentral, they often do this 'high contrast' test to look for this noise. I wanted to know from those of you who have the BenQ BL2710PT whether it emits ANY noise whatsoever?

Also, how is the text quality, in general?

If there is no noise from this monitor, it's between it and the Asus PA279Q, which according to a professional review site also is silent.

Thanks,
Mike

The PA279Q's overshoot ghosting will show up when scrolling text, even slowly.

Buzzing varies between the same monitors and brightness settings, best to get some ear muffs/plugs, or ear/headphones rather than basing your 700$+ purchase on how silent a monitor is. Mine doesn't hum/buzz/whine and I used it for MS Word, Powerpoint, Scholarly Papers (PDF's), but it can vary.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply NCX. I'm glad to hear your experience is that the BenQ is silent. I don't mind paying a premium for silent computers and monitors. I'm still debating whether I should get one 27" monitor (now likely the BenQ) or two 24" monitors--does BenQ have a comparable 24" model? If not, any other 1920 x 1200 24" you recommend for my requirements? Thanks, Mike

Already ordered an asus pb278q. viewsonic wasnt availabe from my favourite webshop, so went asus.
I am now thinking of canceling my order and getting the Benq bp2710pt instead. Allthough i will have to wait 1/2 weeks longer then (they dont have it in stock).

I am feeling a bit insecure about this because i dont wanna wait and i am just a casual gamer.I feel the asus will suit me fine. But i do tend to have much attention to detail and have good eyes. As u can probably tell i dont know much about monitors and dont have much monitor experience NCX' review has certainly been very helpfull (ty for this and other reviews) But i think maybe it is more a review for enthusiasts instead for the average user and in practise the differences arent that big? I could be very wrong. I dont know. Also dont know if the pwm will be an issue at all as most users wont even notice it?

More info regarding my situation in this tread i made: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1787037

Guess i want confirmation: is the benq really a that much better buy then the asus for an average user?

Last edited:
1.) My favorite webshop

2.) In practise the differences aren't that big?

3.) So I don't know if the pwm will be an issue at all as most users wont even notice it?

4.) Is the benq really a that much better buy than the asus for an average user?

1.) I hope your favorite webshop has a hassle return & exchange policy

2.) The differences are minimal, the Asus actually has slightly better color presets but suffers from very obvious ghosting unless you change the Trace Free (overdrive) option from 60 (default) to 40, or even better 20

3.) Only you can determine if LED PWM Dimming will bother you. Read about the side affects of PWM here:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1362457985

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/pulse_width_modulation.htm#side_effects

Since most people plan to keep their monitors for a few years (3+) I think it is silly to buy a monitor with PWM and risk having issues later on. What's 50$ per year to avoid getting headaches and or eyestrain?

4.) Not really, the main differences lie in the BenQ's inclusion of 4x USB Ports, the lack of LED PWM Dimming and lesser degree of ghosting which you may not notice.

I think even the most casual users will notice the Asus's ghosting out of the box, however, once the Trace Free setting is reduced it likely will never be an issue.

Ty so much for your response.

Yes it has an exchange policy. But only if it has at least 2 dead pixels or 4 dead subpixels. I think this is decent?

Yes, i know about setting the trace free to 20. Allthough some review sites suggest 40 for some reason. Probably not with gaming in mind i guess. I am casual but i do put some effort to calibrating (without a device). Once i own a monotor i really put some time into calibrating it manually. I'll try your suggested settings and then tweak it slighty to my personal preference.

About Pwm. Yes if i can get an equal or slightly better screen without. Why not. Allthough its only about 10% of ppl that notice it? And i've never had eyestrain/headaches before (and used to sit behind my crt a looong time years ago). I am the type of person who will sit behind his screen like 10 hours straight many days though and may have issues later on. Anyway waiting 2 weeks for a screen without it will be worth it.

So i will contact my webshop and see if i can get the benq.

Or, maybe the eizo ev2736w? I've seen u and others suggest it.
Havent looked into it that much as the asus. But from what i gathered it may have some dark overshoot (neglectable i guess). But good response times overall and decent input lag. Also withouth device calibrating its less good then asus or benq? I may be wrong about all this. I could also get it in a few days (the benq may take a while). Gathering more info about the eizo atm.

So asus, benq or eizo? really leaning towards benq now. waiting for reply and info i am gathering on the eizo.

btw: prices arent a real concern of mine, allthough it is for me: asus 500 euro benq 580 euro, eizo 680 euro. More concered with the 2 week waiting time on the benq (so eager to get my screen!).

Last edited:
Make sure to read the PWM articles I linked. CRT's and CCFL back-lit LCD's are different than LED back-lit LCD's which use PWM.

For your uses I don't think Eizo is worth the extra $ unless you want the 5 year warranty and vastly prefer the design.

Ok, i will contact my webshop and get the Benq.
Thanks a lot for making my choice easier and making me feel more secure about it.
Btw: are u still working on the benq? I keep checking if u updated your review or if your youtube review is out hehe. Love those video's, watched the viewsonics and asus' review many times. Also eager to read tft's and prads review.

Written Review is 70% complete, have not started the video review. 30 minute narratives are very time consuming and I have to find time for 5 of them this fall along with university and work.

No, refer to the product page

TFT Central's Review is up. We emailed, his had worse User mode colors than mine so he would end up with an 800:1 contrast ratio after calibration since the RGB levels were not nearly perfect like mine.

-----

Going to be make a thread in the For Sale section, so if anyone wants to avoid the exchange game and get a blb free BL2710PT with a 1,000:1 contrast ratio PM me.

Bit dissapointed and confused by their review tbh....
If i interpret it correctly:
According too their review the viewsonic seems a bit better and not on par?
Even the asus seems a bit better?! besides the pwm.

Was curious why not many people are discussing the benq, maybe this is why? (besides being new)

Gotta say quality control seems a bit better from benq then viewsonic and asus. havent read any issues. Allthough this may be hard to conclude.

Am also curious why TFT's input lag measurements seem so high for the viewsonic and the benq
Think ive read ncx explaining this with the viewsonic before, but cant remember and now the benq's.

Thinking of not getting the benq and just getting the viewsonic from amazon.co.uk (i am from the netherlands btw, but cant find the viewsonic here)
Or just getting the asus (more convenient for me, my order is in place atm) and return it if the pwm bothers me.
Or maybe a qnix for the overclock... dont play many fps, but i do rly like games like dmc, darksiders etc..
So hard to pick

Any thoughts and/or maybe advise plz?

Last edited:
as i read it the 3 models you mention do seem to be quite similar overalll, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as the Asus and Viewsonic are decent models and popular here. The BenQ has more "extras" and features including ambient light sensor, human sensor, USB ports and speakers for instance. The Asus has speakers and the Viewsonic has USB ports but not the other extras.

The Viewsonic has the most accurate out of the box setup thanks to its factory calibration, but also the lowest contrast ratio of the three at 752:1 after calibration. To be fair though, all 3 have a similar contrast ratio after calibration between 752:1 and 858:1. TFTCentral did comment also that their BenQ unit could achieve a 1000:1 contrast ratio like NCX's does, but that was measured in the 'user' mode (the mode NCX also used for his test). However, they said it's not possible to calibrate the screen properly in the user mode and recommend the standard mode instead, hence the slightly lower contrast ratio. So it's possible to get a higher CR nearer 1000:1, but at the cost of some colours by the sounds of it.

The Viewsonic and BenQ are both flicker free, but the Asus uses PWM. Viewing angles seem to be very similar between the AHVA and PLS panels. Although they tested the Asus and Viewsonic before they had exact response time measurements, they did say that they felt the BenQ and Viewsonic were very similar, and the Asus was slightly faster in practice. The BenQ did seem to have a better uniformity than the other two.

in regards to lag, it's very common for screens like this to have around 1 frame of lag, so the figures measured don't surprise me really. Overclockers.ru measured 26.3ms for the Viewsonic using the SMTT tool and TFTCentral got 26.2ms so two independent sources there. Prad i know achieved a lower result, but then their measurement method is not explained anywhere and may or may not be accurate, we just don't know. There's only the one review of the BenQ so far for lag which is 25ms overall (20ms signal processing lag) which also fits in with NCX's basic stopwatch measurements and interpretation of around 1 frame of lag. Both TFTCentral and NCX measured a lag of ~17ms from the Asus using SMTT. Oddly Prad's was a longer measurement.

Tnx for your great response.

I dont care at all for the usb ports,speakers and other extra's. Allthough i see myself using 1:1 pixelmapping at times. Only the viewsonic doesnt have that i believe.

So what i am taking from your post (and from ncx's before) that for an average user,me: mainly playing games, surfing and watching movies these 3 are pretty much the same?
Maybe i have been overthinking everything the last week...I tend to be like that hehe

Still dont know if the pwm is really an issue. Lots of people dont mention it at all and are very happy with a pwm-monitor and some others cant stand it. Guess ill just have to experience that for myself.

At this time i think ill go with the asus. Easiest availabe for me and i like the design the most..Can exchange it for the benq if pwm bothers me.
But i am really going back and forth on what to pick lol

if you don't need the extras then i don't think there's really much in it to separate the 3 of them. If the Asus is readily available for you it seems a logical choice and if you do experience any problems with the PWM backlight control you could return it and look at the BenQ or ViewSonic from there like you say :)

Areyou talking about the asus vn279q ? Doesn't it also have less uniformity ? Also doesn't the benq have better whites than asus or viewsonic ?

if you don't need the extras then i don't think there's really much in it to separate the 3 of them. If the Asus is readily available for you it seems a logical choice and if you do experience any problems with the PWM backlight control you could return it and look at the BenQ or ViewSonic from there like you say :)

TFT Central and I exchanged a few emails before he published his review. My unit has worse average gamma presets but near perfect RGB levels. He had to turn the RGB values down to the mid 80's to calibrate it in the User mode while the lowest value I used was 97.

HCFR Gamma/RGB Levels/Color Gamut Compilation. Without seeing TFT Central's I can't know how much better his units gamma was. For photo editing my BenQ is better due to the higher Absolute sRGB color space coverage when calibrated in the Standard mode. When using the User mode for normal use my BL2710PT has more accurate sRGB color space coverage and RGB levels, but worse gamma.

PRAD was the first site to use and quit using the SMT Tool in favor of an oscilloscope, I think they know what they are doing. The Stop Watch Timer.exe version is ok when Windows Aero is disabled, otherwise Windows Vsync causes anomalies (much higher and lower values) and messes up the "average," value. I didn't need to average anything since the results are always the same.

Last edited:
Hello,

has anyone testet the ECO Sensor on the BL2710PT (not the light sensor)?
On my first model the sensor recognized movement only in very short distance, about a few centimeters. In a distance about 40 to 70 cm he recognizes no movement at all and turned off the monitor after a few seconds. In addition the whole left side of the screen was noticeably warmer than the right side. So i got an new one from Benq (RMA). This has now a quite better uniformity. Only the right lower corner is "cooler" than the rest.
BLB on both models war very good.

But...the same with the ECO Sensor. No response to a movement in a "normal" distance about 40 to 70cm.

Regards
Marcus

This Sensor does not work properly. Frankly said, is useless. I was sitting in front of the monitor about 30-40 cm distance and monitor turned off itself.

Therefore I dont use this function.

Last edited:
So this seems to be a general problem of the series.
I still wait for the repsonse from the benq support....

NCX, will you publish ICC profile for this BENQ monitor?

I dont own any calibration sonde and I would like to try some calibrated profile.

Prad has a review up.

But it only got good when almost all 27" 1440p screen get very good unles there's some deal breaker in them.

NCX, will you publish ICC profile for this BENQ monitor?

Eventually.
-------------------

My written review is finally finished aside from some spelling and grammar checks. All pictures with the BenQ BL2710PT (left) & Matte Qnix QX2710 (right) were shot using the BenQ's User Mode, Gamma 2, User Color Temperature settings (best presets) and reduced brightness to match the Qnix. Saving my pictures of the stand in various positions and 1:1 pixel mapping for the video review.

Last edited:
Back