Beat youtube ad block blocking with FreeTube

The gap between stealing food from a store and blocking an advertisement on my pc makes the grand canyon look like a scratch on a piece of chalk. Seriously, google doesnt need you to white knight for them, they own and control so much already.

If kroger was collecting my data and selling who i am to other people like google and still showing me ads , yes probably.

I have my cease and desist letter still at my parents house that NetZero sent me when i blocked their banner back when i was 14 lol
It could be anyone, has nothing to do with Google specifically.

Kroger is collecting your data and selling it to people.

Not something to be proud of IMO.

It's more like being forced to go to the movies at gunpoint and then being shamed for stealing a soda from your captors.
I don't understand. You don't have to use google products, don't have to use android, don't have to use google.com. Also blocking trackers isn't the same as blocking ads. I don't think anyone would blame you for blocking trackers.

You don't have to use google products

That's absolutely untrue they are the biggest gatekeepers of the internet. They killed RSS and replaced it with Google News. They destroyed advertising outside of Google and YouTube.

Even if I don't use their services, other people do, and the things Google lets them see shapes their world view. There is no "just don't be into Google;" the company is intertwined with all of the information in the world. Inescapably so.

And if you don't think YouTube killed off independent media like [H] I have no idea what to tell you. Alphabet is everywhere.

Yep, they cracked down hard on me these past few weeks, so I switched to Brave and it works 90% of the time.
I tried to log into YT with another browser that wasn't setup with that site and they had suspended my account because I block their ads.
I'm not paying them for ad free content since they like to censor comments because it hurt other's feelings.

More often than not, I open in private window just to see what is on the front.

I can't help but think the people they're pandering to are Frito from Idiocracy.
I read youtube comments 2 days ago RE: 1984 (it was posted 2 years ago) & I was shocked at how many people were from viewing it from the WOKE vs AWAKE perspectives and they "got it" and applied it to recent times vs how many people relegated it to a fictional projection of the historical political world that Orwell lived in 1948 & those people stated he was not predicting the distant future, he was just analyzing his current realm and illustrating how quickly things could change in 36 years (1948~1984). Those people also called out the AWAKE for being paranoid like "See - that never happened & isn't happening now." Of course, many more mentioned Brave New World, Animal Farm and other books in that vein.

I kept thinking about how incredibly small his circle of information was w/ no internet, crappy radio & TV (if any) & nothing but propaganda news... and how similar that is to today, even though we have internet, radio, TV we still have nothing but propaganda news & now youtube - force feeding us ads and censoring vids as if they are BIG BROTHER.

When you mentioned Idiocracy I thought - wow - that nails the "state of youtube" drivel that the masses watch & have huge view numbers and channel subscribers, but 1984 did it better - it's just that not many people who've read / watched 1984 apply it to being force fed ADS.

RE: the OP - youtube has not backed down and I can't watch anything while I am logged in. I can still LIKE & comment after watching the same vid in another browser where I am not logged in, but I quit liking or commenting on everything & wonder what hurts the content creators more?

They get a small % ad money & a big % goes to youtube and they claim adblockers prevent creators from making money (but it's really hurts the bigger % collector). However, with fewer likes & fewer comments, the creators discoverability & number of views will suffer.

I'm sure yt employs Richie Rich accountants & they know that blocking the ad blockers is a money maker & it will force viewers to watch the ads & make ZEE money or it will force viewers to buy premium to avoid ads.

I'd like to know how youtubers make money if I buy premium to avoid ads & they lose their % ad money?

99% of creators I watch are doing sponsored / promo ads smack in the middle of their vids to make $ but at least I can skip those.

/RANT with no point whatsoever

View: https://youtu.be/GQxOKXEff4I?si=YPlOTLG2wLBStd-G

Last edited:
Yep. All our favorite hardware sites died due to rampant adblocking... You want youtube gone eventually too? Keep freeloading...
If you share YouTube videos in any forum, will wachers see the ads? No? Did YouTube lose money this way?
uBlock and similar can be added as extensions in Google Chrome, no? Why they do not remove it from its store?

I would love it if YouTube became a paid service, would be very cool for everyone to go out from there and the Internet to become one better place.

so i just found out that youtube is attempting to block people from using youtube if you are using any kind of ad blocker. just started getting popups on certain videos telling me "ad blockers not allowed" but i could just close the box and keep rolling. now the popup window's on a cooldown so prob won't be too long until they just won't let you watch.

well someone mentioned FreeTube and you have to install it but it lets you watch whatever you want without ad's and without letting google keep watch history. you can even import all your subbed channels into it and they give you directions on how to do it. just thought i'd let you guys know in case anyone else looking for a solution.

works on windows and linux!

https://freetubeapp.io/#download
https://github.com/FreeTubeApp/FreeTube
I have used it since a year, very nice applet :)

$180 - I think that is a 9 device "Family" plan. Pass for now, but I'm testing the extension in a diff browser now.
WTF are you talking about? It’s $12.97 for personal (5 devices) and $16.97 for family (9 devices). Where did you get $180 from? Did you even click the link?

Get a lifetime license for AdGuard. There's a big sale right now: https://www.stacksocial.com/sales/adguard-personal-plan-lifetime-subscription

It works outside the browser, so it won't have the same issues as built-in ad blockers. I've had zero issues with YouTube.

WTF are you talking about? It’s $12.97 for personal (5 devices) and $16.97 for family (9 devices). Where did you get $180 from? Did you even click the link?

I read "lifetime license for adguard" ~ highlighted that text & hit search.

I did not notice the link you gave was for a "special coupon" site which I typically do not trust.

But look - the price is $240 & $180 with a discount.

The adguard website is a clusterfuck.

Attachments

• 1699640115457.png
    1699640115457.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 0
I read "lifetime license for adguard" ~ highlighted that text & hit search.

I did not notice the link you gave was for a "special coupon" site which I typically do not trust.

But look - the price is $240 & $180 with a discount.

The adguard website is a clusterfuck.
Dude, I’ve been using this website for years. They give you a license code and you bind it to your account. I bought my lifetime license through them. If you want to be weird about it, that’s on you. I don’t link anyone to shady websites on here. I didn’t expect to end up irritated by showing fellow [H] members a good deal, but here I am.

Dude, I’ve been using this website for years. They give you a license code and you bind it to your account. I bought my lifetime license through them. If you want to be weird about it, that’s on you. I don’t link anyone to shady websites on here. I didn’t expect to end up irritated by showing fellow [H] members a good deal, but here I am.
You asked me QUOTE: Where did you get $180 from?

I showed you.

Too damm expensive already I pay $79 for their low res 720/1080 tv service and they want to add 12.99 on top of that. I use Fadblock extension from the Chrome store it speeds up the ads so you don't see them.

f*ck google

thanks OP!

edit: I'll leave this here as well. I don't have an android phone, so I can use it... but figured I'd share the wealth. It sort of reminds me of that gab plugin to comment on any website without said sites supporting said comment system.

https://grayjay.app/

I was out of town a few days ago and using my wife's computer, she only uses YouTube in the browser.
So I watched a 90 minute video and every 3 minutes there was a 2 min advertisement - If anyone agrees with this crazy storm of adds - fine, I'm not and I'll use anything but not premium. Google doesn't deserve a cent.

Last edited:
edit: wait, is this an app or a whole new website?

Last edited:
You could just pay up for the service you clearly use a lot of if you are concerned about ads... It's only $12 a month. Just a thought.
I actually didn't mind the ads for a while (basically this entire time using YouTube). But then, recently, the ads have been getting more numerous and longer. Now to start a video it's two 15 second unskippable ads followed by more ads every 5 or 10 minutes or so. This isn't poor google just trying to make money, no this is greed by a large corporation continously trying to make more money. This really comes down to the continuation of pushing a product to make it worse and worse. So yeah now I'm pissed and there's no way I'm going to give them $12 a month for something only a few months ago I could totally tolerate and use. This the natural progression of protesting. When a product is so bad that there's an entire cottage industry to making it better and it's popular, well that's a sign your product is sucking and is likely going to start contracting when people get tired of playing the cat and mouse game.

I also try to use youtube less now.

edit: wait, is this an app or a whole new website?
To late I already clicked on the link you posted! My virgin eyes! What have you done?! Also I need to run to the store for tissues, for some reason I'm out.

To late I already clicked on the link you posted! My virgin eyes! What have you done?! Also I need to run to the store for tissues, for some reason I'm out.
haha, yea that was why I went back and edited the entire post.

did YouTube stop with the anti ad blocker BS?...I don't see the pop-up notice anymore or maybe my ad blocking software is just doing the job (uBlock Origin)

did YouTube stop with the anti ad blocker BS?...I don't see the pop-up notice anymore or maybe my ad blocking software is just doing the job (uBlock Origin)
Dunno, I don't even notice the ads anyway. If I did, I'd just pay instead of trying to steal the service.

Dunno, I don't even notice the ads anyway. If I did, I'd just pay instead of trying to steal the service.
You're stealing money from the 2 trillion dollar corporation that makes their revenue from exclusively mining your data to add to their never ending unethical shadow profile on you?

You're stealing money from the 2 trillion dollar corporation that makes their revenue from exclusively mining your data to add to their never ending unethical shadow profile on you?
I don't care how big they are. What does that possibly matter when it comes to the morals of service theft?

Last edited:
I don't care how big they are. What does that possibly matter when it comes to the morals of service theft?
Are you comfortable with their constant and illegal monetization of your data, which has led to repeated lawsuits? Or perhaps you're okay with their censorship of search results, manipulated to guide you in the direction of their agenda? And maybe you're fine with their anti-white employee training and their belief that babies are racist? This goes beyond the ethics of "service theft." They're undermining the moral fabric of our planet through brainwashing and indoctrination. Unfortunately, there aren't really any alternatives to the services they offer, but this issue is not as black and white as you want it to seem. Blocking some ads is hardly the issue here. Let's not try and exaggerate the gravity of the situation and overly villainize people for using ad blockers. I leave ad blockers off for companies that I support. Google is not one of them.

i think a lot of it depends on if the video's monitized or not. i usually just use freetube but then sometimes i'll hit a link to youtube by accident and sometimes it'll play but if i try to keep using it eventually i'll come accross one that gets flagged.

Are you comfortable with their constant and illegal monetization of your data, which has led to repeated lawsuits? Or perhaps you're okay with their censorship of search results, manipulated to guide you in the direction of their agenda? And maybe you're fine with their anti-white employee training and their belief that babies are racist? This goes beyond the ethics of "service theft." They're undermining the moral fabric of our planet through brainwashing and indoctrination. Unfortunately, there aren't really any alternatives to the services they offer, but this issue is not as black and white as you want it to seem. Blocking some ads is hardly the issue here. Let's not try and exaggerate the gravity of the situation and overly villainize people for using ad blockers. I leave ad blockers off for companies that I support. Google is not one of them.
Simply, it's not theft when both parties are getting something in exchange from each other.

Simply, it's not theft when both parties are getting something in exchange from each other.
What are we getting from all of Google's often illegal data mining? It's theft of our data, oftentimes without our permission. Blocking their data mining and tracking algorithms [partially] prevents Google from acquiring our data that we never agreed to give them in the first place. They make money off of mining our data. We don't receive compensation for that data. Again, the issue is not black and white.

What are we getting from all of Google's often illegal data mining? It's theft of our data, oftentimes without our permission. Blocking their data mining and tracking algorithms [partially] prevents Google from acquiring our data that we never agreed to give them in the first place. They make money off of mining our data. We don't receive compensation for that data. Again, the issue is not black and white.
Well, if you read the thread we were talking about using youtube for "free" by blocking ads.

Ad Block was working for me until about an hour ago. I need to find something else now.

Just use a diff browser & drag the tabs from the AD infected browser to the new browser.

Another option = cue 10 tabs / 10 vids while signed in as your bookmarked / profile user & then sign out & refresh the tabs.

YT will eventually find a way to make it more inconvenient to dodge ads, but - one step at a time...

If you update the signatures for uBlock Origin you won't get this issue with youtube.

Back