Barton 2500+ in dire need of an upgrade...

W.O.T. Stang

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for some advice on upgrading. I've been out of the computer scene for awhile since I last built my current rig about 3 years ago.

I pretty much caught up to technology up until the AMD x2's. And I'm considering getting one, but i'm not sure which is the best. After reading a lot, i definitely want to go with an AMD dual core. The only trouble is, i'm not sure what the best 'bang for the buck' one is out there right now.. or maybe there is something better now.

Could anyone point me in the right direction, and let me know what socket motherboard I would need to support the CPU, and if there is something better currently available I should check out? Feels like I'm living in the stone age here.

if you want to stay ddr1/agp, go with socket 939 (although skt 939/pcie boards do exist)

if you want to upgrade to ddr2/pcie, go with socket am2. You want to look at the 3800/4200 chips

I see you've only got 512mb of ram, so you might as well bite it and go am2 and get a couple gigs of ddr2 800...

thrawn86 said:
if you want to stay ddr1/agp, go with socket 939 (although skt 939/pcie boards do exist)

if you want to upgrade to ddr2/pcie, go with socket am2. You want to look at the 3800/4200 chips

I see you've only got 512mb of ram, so you might as well bite it and go am2 and get a couple gigs of ddr2 800...

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm pretty much going to be scrapping this computer completely. So i'll definitely be going ddr2/pci e.

So coming from a standpoint of where I sit right now, i'd need ddr2 ram (new to me), a PCI-E video card, the board to support both and whatever other upgrades I choose?

Back