Barb has slow leak...advice please

Ingonuts13

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am leak testing my system and I have a slow leak at one of the radiator barbs. I have tightened it a bit and also readjusted the clamp several times. Is there something I can shmear onto the barb without removing it that will stop this leak?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is it leaking where the barb meets the metal on the radiator, or between the hose and the barb?

If it is the first case, then I suppose you could get some sort of sealant...the locktite adhesive or maybe even super glue.

Otherwise, I would try to get a new clamp, or readjust it in different places (again).

It is actually leaking where the thread meets the barb, not the clamp/hose connection. I wish it was the clamp as that would be easy to re-adjust.

Bleh, broke down and just drained the entire system for tonight. Better to do that than have a mishap while sleeping. My plan will be to use some plumber's tape on the barb with the issue tomorrow and see if that solves everything.

Using plumbers non-hardening compound.

You can then still pull the pipe off in the future easily, plus it solidly locks the pipe...

And pretty cheap at Home Depot, too.

You can get a white silicone/teflon and oil based mixture in the plumbing dept of any home center in a tube. It does not sit up hard, but it works well. Just smear a little on the male threads and then make it back up.

Thanks for the advice guys. It actually seemed to stop leaking after I took it off and wrapped some new plumbers tape around the male fitting. If this leak comes back, I will try some of that putty you suggested.

I always had this fear of the tape shreading and tiny pieces floating around inside my system plugging up one of my blocks. The threads making up tend to cut the tape up in to pieces. Thats why I picked the goop.

Back