Ax850 vs HX850

rosh

Limp Gawd
I need to get a PSU and leaning on the above two model.

roughly
AX850 - $190
HX850 - $155

My idle system power is around 100w. However i need something like 850w cos im assembling pcs and need to test different configs.

Which gives you the best efficient around 100 - 150w.

According to Johnnyguru reviews, HX850 has higher efficiencies than AX850 in lower range. That makes me strange. Cos AX850 is the newest model.

AX850 - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=197
HX850 - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=153

Which one is good for me?

Why should i go for AX850 over HX850?

Any ideas appreciated.

I think the efficiency at high load is more important so I would also go with the AX, but being less efficient at lower load makes me strange too.

I would go with the HX850. The efficiency difference is very small and not worth the increase in price unless you really want full the full modularity or quieter operation of the AX.

Thanks. I dont care the efficiency at high loads, since i use it at high loads for testing. Most of the time my power draw is 100 - 150w. Which one is better in that range?. I dont care full/partial modularity.

What i wonder is HX850 is more efficient around 170w according to JG than AX850. Is that possible?

So what we get by going for AX850 for that premium?. Just full modularity and couple of percent figures in efficiency?

What is the main advantage of going for AX?

So what we get by going for AX850 for that premium?. Just full modularity and couple of percent figures in efficiency?

Those two things plus a fan that is better and only turns on above a certain amount of load (probably around 300W).

AX is quieter, better quality fan, better efficiency, and fully modular. It also has a bit tighter voltage regulation and ripple/noise, but that's largely insignificant since they're both well under the ATX max specifications.

AX is quieter, better quality fan, better efficiency, and fully modular. It also has a bit tighter voltage regulation and ripple/noise, but that's largely insignificant since they're both well under the ATX max specifications.

Thanks for info. Im mainly focusing abt efficiency (specially at low loads). Although u said AX has better efficiency i can not agree. I summarized some reviews and did a simple comparison

According to calculations i can see the efficiency of Silver HX out performs Gold AX. Any reason for that?. Should we expect that?

On our upcoming AX850 review we cover this very question.

Not one of the two listed, but this unit compares nicely to anything from Corsair, and the price is a bit lower too.

In all honesty though, you are unlikely to experience any functional difference between the HX or AX. Both units are already fantastic, and any comparison between them is really just splitting hairs. If money is a factor, go with whatever is cheaper.

Not one of the two listed, but this unit compares nicely to anything from Corsair, and the price is a bit lower too.

In all honesty though, you are unlikely to experience any functional difference between the HX or AX. Both units are already fantastic, and any comparison between them is really just splitting hairs. If money is a factor, go with whatever is cheaper.

Money is not the factor. Need to get the best efficient one around 75 - 100 - 150w. Which is reviewed at almost NO where.

No other brands considered. HUGE corsair fan here. :)

Money is not the factor. Need to get the best efficient one around 75 - 100 - 150w. Which is reviewed at almost NO where.

Why? 2% efficiency difference at 100W is 2W difference. Who cares?

Well if you need uber efficiency at such low loads, perhaps you need to be looking at a smaller unit? 850w is a bit much for that kind of power draw...and since those are the numbers you're looking for then I assume that's where your power draw will be.

A lower power unit will offer better efficiency numbers at your load levels. For example - click me

As you can see in the above link, this guy offers higher efficiency then either of the corsair units at the load levels you listed. And last time I checked, the Seasonic X units were some of the best around...oh, and they actually make power supplies :). Regardless, Corsair is good stuff, but not the end all be all. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by restricting your choices to a single brand. After all, even Corsairs die. I just had a TX750 take a dump on me last month, it was less then 3yrs old.

But alas, its your cash. So buy what makes ya happy!

Given the price difference I would go with the hx850w. I don't think you are getting a performance increase worthy of the increase in price.

As per the noise issue, by the time, you might hear the hx850w, you will have a load situation that would require massive cooling. I'm liquid cooled, although my peak power consumption is close to 600w, I cannot hear the psu fan over the Gentle Typhoons (5) running at 1250rpm or so, (that is running furmark and prime 95), under all other conditions i'm under 1000rpm so i'm dead silent.

If you feel the performance increase in one or two metrics over what was considered amazing performance last year.. is worth the 50 dollars..... then go for it. Otherwise save the 50 dollars and put it towards the SSD fund.

Back