Athlon x4 750k vs A10 6800k ??

Pcmatic184

n00b
For my build I was told to replace this my a10 6800k for the Athlon. This is a pc for gaming. Would want to know what would be best for my build.

Planned build
Amd a10 6800k
Msi 7790 graphics card (bought)
Msi fm2 a75ma e35 motherboard (bought)
Ballistix 8gb ram (1x8) (bought)
Carbide 200r tower (bought)
Corsair 600 watt psu
Cd rom
1tb cavior blue hard drive (bought)
Windows 7

You can't Crossfire the 6800K with a 7790, so you're basically spending ~$65 more to go from a 3.4GHz Trinity quad core to a 4.1GHz Richland quad core. How much is $65 worth to you? I wouldn't bother spending the extra money.

Also, no need for a 600W PSU. A $40 Antec Earthwatts 380W or 430W Corsair will be more than enough for such a modest build, even with overclocking.

You would be better off going with the Athlon 760k (instead of the 750k), as it is based on Richland rather than Trinity, it is clocked higher and should have a bit more overclocking headroom.

As said above, you don't need a 600w psu.

The money you save on the cpu and power supply can go towards a second 8GB stick of ram for dual channel operation.

What they said. The APU would be pointless since the iGPU of it would be going to waste. It can't do Hybrid Crossfire with that 7790, and Hybrid Crossfire generally isn't worth it anyway.

Good luck finding the Athlon x4 760k, because it's only available in certain places. Don't think it's come to the States yet. It uses the Richland-based cores, so it can overclock better than the 750k. Even then though, the 750k can routinely hit 4.4 GHz anyway, so if you can't find a 760k just go with that.

Would both if these CPU be compatible with my mb. And also I am looking for the Athlon x4 760k, can't seem to find it

They should be. Might need a bios update depending on how old the board is. That being said, it probably will boot, since they are all the same architecture, it just might not detect CPU properly.

Well, all FM2 boards are pretty recent, but it just depends on what stock you bought and whether or not a Richland bios is on it. You'd be more likely to have a problem with the 6800k having a bios issue vs. the 750k.

Even though you guys are saying it has a good chance of working, what should I do if I doesn't

Didn't realise the 760k isn't available in the US yet. In that case I'd go with the 750k, it will work fine with the board you have as it supports the 750k from one of the first bios/uefi releases (still make sure to update the bios though).

Even though you guys are saying it has a good chance of working, what should I do if I doesn't

The latest bios supports richland. Problem is you won't know what bios its running unless you have a cpu and if its the older bios and you have a richland cpu you can't update it.

You have a few options if your Bios isn't updated for the Richland Cpu:

1) Return the cpu and get a Trinity
2) Return the board and get another and hope it supports the cpu
3) I think most motherboard manufacturers will update the Bios if you request and RMA for it
4) buy a cheap Trinity cpu supported by the oldest Bios revision and update the Bios with it. Then either return it, sell it, or keep it as a backup. Suggested Cpu: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095VPBM2/

All current boards should support Trinity and if it was purchase recently from a popular store there is a good chance it will support Richland

Edit: Case is correct - the 750k is your best available guaranteed to work option.

However if you really want a Richland:
Amazon.co.uk has the 760k and you can get them shipped to the US for $104. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Alternately you could just buy an A8-6600k for $115 from Amazon US http://www.amazon.com/AMD-A8-6600K-Quad-Core-Processor-AD660KWOHLBOX/dp/B00CPLGGWS/

The 760k(3.8ghz, no iGPU), A8-6600k(3.9ghz, 2nd best iGPU), and A10-6800k(4.1ghz, best iGPU) will all perform very similar at stock with a discrete video card and should have similar overclocking headroom.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought it in july. But it was per owned from micro center. The person brought it back within 30 days though. So right around June I am guessing he must have bought it

There may be a sticker on the board somewhere saying what bios version it shipped with (probably on/near the bios chip).

Regardless of bios version, the 750k will be supported as the board will have shipped with at least bios version 1.1.

If you wan't to wait for the 760k to become available in the US you may need to update the bios. As others have suggested, just buy a cheap Trinity based APU, update bios then return the APU.

I can't wait, I will be using this for gaming/school so I am gonna go ahead and buy the 750k. As long as I can run games at a high frame rate and can surf the web for school then I completely fine.

The 750k will do that just fine.

As for BIOS updates, it's best to just download the latest BIOS before you even swap out any components, put the file on a USB flash drive, then just put the flash drive in and tell the BIOS to update from that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the board didn't "officially" support the chip before the update, you could still get into the BIOS and update it.

Back