ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Hm, with all the reported problems with this monitor, don't you guys who have ordered one feel like you are taking a big chance?

I mean, you don't know if you're gonna get a working model or one with various flaws meaning you'll have to return the unit.

I'm tempted to order one myself but all these reports of bad quality control on behalf of Asus isn't reassuring.

It certainly is expensive enough!

ORDERED! i've been half-heartedly trying to find one of these in stock since release. figured if i happen to stumble on one in stock i'd buy it. i'm excited.

Hm, with all the reported problems with this monitor, don't you guys who have ordered one feel like you are taking a big chance?

I mean, you don't know if you're gonna get a working model or one with various flaws meaning you'll have to return the unit.

I'm tempted to order one myself but all these reports of bad quality control on behalf of Asus isn't reassuring.

I haven't heard of many complaints with the batches retailers have been receiving in the past couple months. I've also always had good luck with monitor purchases, so I'm kind of banking on that too :eek:. My rule of thumb is that for every 1 person vocalizing complaints or criticism on the internet, there are 9 other people who have had a good experience.

I'm pretty tolerant with flaws, but we'll see how I feel when I set this one up tomorrow night.

maybe supply is finally catching up with demand. Newegg still shows 20+ in stock.

I was going through my morning ritual looking for the monitor and holy crap there it was, in stock. And I didn't get scalped. CC was charged within seconds. Woohoo!

I think buyng from Newegg is taking a chance, because don't they charge a pretty hefty restocking fee?

Best bet is Amazon, Microcenter, and Best Buy because of the free returns.

I think buyng from Newegg is taking a chance, because don't they charge a pretty hefty restocking fee?

Best bet is Amazon, Microcenter, and Best Buy because of the free returns.

Newegg charges a 15% restocking fee (unless you're a premier member). i always buy monitors from Amazon but this thing is difficult to find in stock there, aside from 3rd party price gougers.

I seemed to have won the Newegg lottery on this monitor today and have a Fedex tracking number.. Assuming it doesn't have to be returned for all the reported flaws, what's the best setup for it?

I've currently got a 2560x1600 Dell 3014 surrounded by two of my old HP ZR24w's (1920x1200) in portrait mode. Do I just replace the 3014 with the PG278Q or put the PG278Q right next to the 3014 and drop the ZR24W's? My current video card is an EVGA GTX980 and I've got my existing 3 monitors all hooked up via displayport.

For Gsync to operate correctly, do I need to dedicate the GTX980 card to the PG278Q and use a different card for any other monitor?

Looking for some setup advice. I'm tempted to just build out a new PC and dedicate the new monitor to that for just games but that's a bit extreme even for me.

You don't need a dedicated card. I'm running a 2560x1440 glossy ips in landscape and two 1440x900's in portrait mode in addition to my swift off a single 780ti at the moment and I've used g-sync and ulmb modes just fine. You do have to run fullscreen for g-sync though, and I have the swift as my primary monitor.

If I were you, depending on what you needed the 3014 for, I'd consider selling it and getting a cheap korean 27" 2560x1440 to match up with the swift better, or maybe even a 21:9 3440x1440 if you wanted to add a little more after your sale price. I saw a 3014 selling for $750 on the used sale forum with a pm, not sure if it sold at that price. I don't like selling things via shipping much and depending on the buyer's honesty personally though. Some people don't take care of things like I do and will damage fragile electronics and make false claims.
Otherwise you could use a mismatch but I would personally set the 30" back further than the 27" so that their perceived ppi would look closer to your perspective. Just my preference.

For the first time in years all of my monitors are the same pixel height which is nice. I'd like one of those 21:9 3440x1440 60hz ips to pair up with the swift for desktop/apps but that's not really in my budget so I'll just keep using my side panels. I still need to blow money on gpu(s) for sli. I also might end up with a mismatch again if I ever get a 4k panel for desktop/app real-estate in the following years to replace my ips. Further down the road for gaming I'll have an oculus rift (90hz+, oled, screen blanking blur elimination.. consumer release) in the mix.

Glad to hear more people are getting some of these monitors.

Finally! Was able to snag one on newegg. This time it didn't go out of stock while I was trying to get my CC number through. WOOT!

SO TIRED of this goddamn thing only being in stock at times when I can't check for the alerts.

SO TIRED of this goddamn thing only being in stock at times when I can't check for the alerts.

I didn't get an auto notify alert this time, just checked the page. I did recieve one yesterday at 7:04AM but sold out in 20min, was too late for that bunch. Auto notify isn't reliable.

I didn't get an auto notify alert this time, just checked the page. I did recieve one yesterday at 7:04AM but sold out in 20min, was too late for that bunch. Auto notify isn't reliable.

Use the extension "check4change," if you can be near your PC.

I just bought one from my local Fry's here in Austin, TX. They had 4 in stock so there are a few more left. I didn't ask the guy how long he'd had them but he didn't seem to think they were having trouble keeping them in stock.

I think today is my lucky day. My 3 Swifts came, and without a single defect. No dead pixels, no backlight issues or anything.

I guess I didn't realize how big these things were (or how small my desk is in comparison). I can barely fit 2, let alone 3, in landscape mode. Good thing I got some monitor arms, still deciding if I want to try to set it all up tonight or relax and do it tomorrow.

In any case, I'm impressed so far. Just need more time to mess with the software and make sure everything works. Specifically I'm trying to run 3D Vision Surround, and I've heard some horror stories of the 3D not working (especially in conjunction with SLI, which I'm running). Here's hoping for the best.

Depending on your room dimensions and setup, you could try taking over a corner and facing your desk out from the wall instead of the typical against the wall like a bookshelf setup. That gives you more room to swing outward with monitor arms.

Congrats on your good swifts. I'm going to have enough trouble giving a single one enough gpu power even after my potential upgrade to dual 980 sc in sli. I can't imagine trying to feed 100fps+ to three unless it was some source games like L4D2 and dishonored, and some isometric rpg's like path of exile.

So... I've heard many say that you want at least 100FPS or close to it to maintain a feeling of smoothness, something of which may be attributed to the high refres rates of 120-144Hz. Is this true? I mean... I'd have to wait for Titan II and SLI two of them in order to achieve that in 1440p with high-ultra settings.

What happens is that you get more motion definition and more motion and control articulation at 100fps+, 120fps+ or 144fps+. This looks and feels, and moves smoother/with more motion definition. The most obvious example is moving a mouse pointer or a window around at 120hz or 144hz on the desktop. This doesn't show how in game, rather than a simple pointer object - the entire viewport and game world contents are moved around relative to you as you are mouse-looking and movement keying, while in game objects are often moving on their own paths at the same time. It also doesn't show how in game, you can potentially see more frames of animation cycles in addition to the more defined/articulated motion paths.

780ti sc's in two card sli can get around 100fps on a lot of modern games (on ultra), but not all. 980 sc in dual card sli can do better. The handful that can't hit 100fps+ average can be tweaked down slightly ("high +" custom) to help, and g-sync for those that can't get 100fps+ most of the time. Hopefully by end of 2015 nvidia will drop an answer to amd's upcoming 20nm cards too, but then game's graphics ceilings will keep going up as well.

Don't forget that ULTRA is an arbitrary ceiling set by devs, and it changes in complexity from generation to generation, year to year, (other than a few super demanding ceiling games like crysis, which goes to prove my following point). It is very arbitrary in that the challenge of devs is to whittle games down to fit real time fps, not the other way around. Devs could easily make games 5x, 10x or 100x more demanding if they wanted to. Examples of slight bump ups of the arbitrary ultra ceiling a game was released with are very demanding mods/texture packs, etc.
You don't need the arbitrary ultra to have really great graphics in each and every single game. It can be somewhat of a carrot held in front of your nose. You don't have to be a complete donkey 100%, even if you bought a $800 monitor ;-b Motion (motion definition, motion/control articulation, animation definition, and blur reduction/elimination) is an important part of the graphic aesthetic experience imo, so you might have to (most likely will have to) make tradeoffs one way or the other if you want to achieve those benefits.

I'm investigating selling my samsung A750D 120hz input glossy 27" monitor and my evga 780ti sc acx. If I can get what I consider enough cash, but a fair price for them, I might buy two evga gtx980 sc acx 's.

Last edited:
Long time lurker, first post. I also got one SWIFT from Microcenter and two from Newegg, all which delivered today. I swapped out my 3 VG278H's with them tonight. They all had zero defects and are perfect. I'm very happy with how they turned out.

7680x1440 G-Sync Triple SLI GTX 780ti Star Citizen Monster Machine
15157566654_e6ec7d7aed_h.jpg

Now time to list the 3 VG278H on eBay Sunday.

What happens is that you get more motion definition and more motion and control articulation at 100fps+, 120fps+ or 144fps+.

Alright. It's either Titan Black or Titan II for me. I need that DP for when I do work on my home computer.

Is it worth it upgrading to a Rog Swift when I only have a GTX 770 and won't be able to afford a new graphics card for quite a while?

That means I'll be getting 47 fps on average in Battlefield 4 at 1440p (Ultra, 2 x MSAA) - but I can of course lower settings a bit if necessary.

I have a 24" 144Hz Asus VG248QE monitor currently btw.

Thanks

Depending on your room dimensions and setup, you could try taking over a corner and facing your desk out from the wall instead of the typical against the wall like a bookshelf setup. That gives you more room to swing outward with monitor arms.

Congrats on your good swifts. I'm going to have enough trouble giving a single one enough gpu power even after my potential upgrade to dual 980 sc in sli. I can't imagine trying to feed 100fps+ to three unless it was some source games like L4D2 and dishonored, and some isometric rpg's like path of exile.

I'm in the same boat here. I'm wanting to tri sli with 3x swifts, but I'm holding off until I see at least what the 980 Ti (or whatever naming scheme they're going to use for that card) comes out.

I could manage with 3x 980's as I don't play super demanding games, however if I'm going to drop a whack of money on 3x NVidia cards (+ new computer) and 3x sli - I want to make sure I don't buy 3 NVidia cards only to find out it's not good enough, but the next refresh will be.

These monitors finally gave me a plateau to upgrade too, now we just need to hit that line and it'll be good enough!

Edit: Idk what the problem down there in the US is (assuming the majority of people saying these screens are out of stock are from the US). There's ample supply up here in Canada!

Is it worth it upgrading to a Rog Swift when I only have a GTX 770 and won't be able to afford a new graphics card for quite a while?

That means I'll be getting 47 fps on average in Battlefield 4 at 1440p (Ultra, 2 x MSAA) - but I can of course lower settings a bit if necessary.

I have a 24" 144Hz Asus VG248QE monitor currently btw.

Thanks
G-sync will help with the lower framerate, and as you said you can lower settings to make it go higher. Turning off AA might be a necessity with only 2GB of VRAM at 1440p.

I would normally say upgrade the graphic card first, but since the VG248QE is a pretty crappy monitor it makes the decision harder...

A hypothetical video settings menu where the visual fx and average frame rates are locked to each other based on your resolution and gpu power.

In this hypothetical the game would know what your ave framerate would be at different visual fx settings so if you slide the visual fx slider up, your fps slider goes down and vice versa - if you slide your ave fps slider up, your visual fx slider goes down. In this scenario you aren't globally at high, v-high, or ultra, etc unless both visual fx and fps are high, v-high , ultra, etc.

Ultra in visual fx would be the max "out of the box" fx settings of the game. Going over ultra in visual fx can be done with mods, config editing, texture packs.. external forced video settings from drivers or sweetfx, supersampling, etc.

This kind of setup would make more sense to me. Note that I put the sliders where I would hope to be with the swift once I get an sli setup. I could prob hit ultra on visual fx and keep around 100fps or so ave on some games at that point too however. It depends on the game.

video-settings-hypothetical.jpg

Last edited:
Nabbed an open box Swift at my Frys today. Even thought they don't list it on the site anymore.

Here's hoping it isn't jacked! Anyone return one to the Tempe Frys? :)

Last edited:
G-sync will help with the lower framerate, and as you said you can lower settings to make it go higher. Turning off AA might be a necessity with only 2GB of VRAM at 1440p.

I would normally say upgrade the graphic card first, but since the VG248QE is a pretty crappy monitor it makes the decision harder...

I only have a 670. I use 2560x1440, and I can usually get at least 90fps in games - and CRTs are just fine at 85Hz, that's enough to kill the flicker (to me, I don't know if others are more sensitive.)

I don't play on high settings, of course - but killing blur is more important than high settings.

Just got mine setup. Man, this thing is glorious, and I haven't even gamed yet!

Looking over the panel there is only some slight bleed in the bottom-left corner with brightness set to 20. Uniformity is actually pretty damned good to my naked eye, better than anything I've seen so far. Not one dead or stuck pixel to speak of. The thin, frameless bezel is confusing my eyes and mind right now...

And after being stuck on 1920x1080 for so long, 2560x1440 is a real breath of fresh air. At 27" it looks like the perfect pixel pitch for me. Color blows my old VG278HE I replaced this with out of the water.

Now time to try some games with G-sync already!

Just got mine setup. Man, this thing is glorious, and I haven't even gamed yet!

Looking over the panel there is only some slight bleed in the bottom-left corner with brightness set to 20. Uniformity is actually pretty damned good to my naked eye, better than anything I've seen so far. Not one dead or stuck pixel to speak of. The thin, frameless bezel is confusing my eyes and mind right now...

And after being stuck on 1920x1080 for so long, 2560x1440 is a real breath of fresh air. At 27" it looks like the perfect pixel pitch for me. Color blows my old VG278HE I replaced this with out of the water.

Now time to try some games with G-sync already!

You people are making me sick. I want one, but I don't have a second PC/Desk to attach it to.. And I can't use it as a main screen, unless I have a second PC. :(

I'm afraid I have to join the minority that doesn't like this monitor. I bought one last night and I was disappointed. I've never used a TN monitor before and have been using an ISP monitor for years now. I've read the various comments on this thread and thought I was prepared.

The biggest problem was it actually made my eyes hurt; it was too bright. I had to turn the brightness all the way down to zero to stop that but then it just didn't look good. It still felt too bright and too washed out. I spent a bunch of time messing around with the color temperature, brightness, contrast on the monitor and the nvidia control panel (such as vibrance) and just couldn't get it to a point where I was happy with it.

I perhaps wasn't being too fair since I was mainly using my Windows desktop and not actual in-game usage (although I did try that too and it's definitely nice and smooth). But I use my computer for my job and I need something I can be happy with both in and out of games. I guess I care more about the image definition than I thought I would.

In the end, I decided to take it back and continue waiting for another monitor. It was too bad because the monitor had no flaws. No bleeding, uneven clouding or dead/stuck pixels. I so sad :(

The biggest problem was it actually made my eyes hurt; it was too bright. I had to turn the brightness all the way down to zero to stop that but then it just didn't look good. It still felt too bright and too washed out.

hmm that's a shame. the 'too bright' part is a little odd. The Tech Report's Review shows the Swift can get dimmer than my current PB278Q so it should be fine for me. i run my PB278Q at 25 brightness (with tftcentral's ICC profile). speaking of which, did you try using a different ICC profile (for example tftcentral's?). that probably wouldn't help with brightness but it should help with gamma and color.

currently mine is as brightness 31, contrast 26, color temp normal in the OSD. I think I have the vibrance at 55% (5% higher than neutral).

I'm put 2560x1440 digital photos of nature and people and archeological sites, digital art wallpapers and such in full screen viewers on both my 2560x1440 cinema display ips and the swift - same image at the same time, and the swift holds up really well imo.

The only reason I could see someone not using it is for ultra color critical work where they would need an extreme higher % of the color spectrum shown or to match magazine publications or something, and the TN shift "gradient shade dim" at the top corners might matter. For example on one photo, a tree trunk in the top left corner looks pretty regular though a medium dark, but if I stand up, I see the brighter bark texture as it should have been. In general viewing and especially gaming this is a not noticeable unless you are moving your head around to look for it. The swift is capable of very saturated color and very clear imagery. The very fine text at default size if viewed on white/harsh bright flat planes/document backgrounds could be a problem for work for some people - but only if matte/light ag on any monitor would.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I have to join the minority that doesn't like this monitor. I bought one last night and I was disappointed. I've never used a TN monitor before and have been using an ISP monitor for years now. I've read the various comments on this thread and thought I was prepared.

The biggest problem was it actually made my eyes hurt; it was too bright. I had to turn the brightness all the way down to zero to stop that but then it just didn't look good. It still felt too bright and too washed out. I spent a bunch of time messing around with the color temperature, brightness, contrast on the monitor and the nvidia control panel (such as vibrance) and just couldn't get it to a point where I was happy with it.

I perhaps wasn't being too fair since I was mainly using my Windows desktop and not actual in-game usage (although I did try that too and it's definitely nice and smooth). But I use my computer for my job and I need something I can be happy with both in and out of games. I guess I care more about the image definition than I thought I would.

In the end, I decided to take it back and continue waiting for another monitor. It was too bad because the monitor had no flaws. No bleeding, uneven clouding or dead/stuck pixels. I so sad :(

Did you lower the contrast? In a dark room, contrast hurts my eyes more than brightness.

Back