Article: Factors affecting PC monitor responsiveness

Black Octagon

Limp Gawd
Article: http://pcmonitors.info/articles/factors-affecting-pc-monitor-responsiveness

Input lag. Signal delay. Pixel response time. Refresh rate. Sample and hold. PWM. LightBoost. G-Sync.

Perhaps you've heard the terms. You might even have a decent idea what they mean. However, can you define them precisely?

Better yet, do you understand how they contribute - and INTER-RELATE - to affect the responsiveness of your monitor?

I couldn't. At least, not as well as I would have liked. Until, at least, I read this long-awaited article by the awesome Adam Simmons (A.K.A. PCM2 of OCUK). With contributions from Mark of BlurBusters fame. Enjoy!

P.S., for those too lazy-ass useless to read the whole thing, my personal main take-away is - bring on OLED with G-Sync and low persistence support for high framerate scenarios!

Such a detailed and informative article, thanks for posting. I haven't tried a strobe backlight monitor yet (although my TV does this) and I never really understood why it would make a difference. Now I do! It's also interesting how your eye movement makes such a difference to how much blur you see on a monitor. Puts everything into perspective.

Back