Areca 1261mL PCIE 8x in a PCIE 4x lane?

boggie1688

n00b
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to reduce the power consumption of my file server. I've been waiting very patiently to jump onto the new AMD apu setups.

Thus far there is only one board that has a dual lan setup. I absolutely need the dual lan. However the problem is the board I am interested in, JetWay JNF81-T56N-LF, only has a PCIE 4x slot.

My concern is that my Areca 1261mL will be crippled running in a 4x PCIE slot.

Can anyone provide some insight?

/rant
I have my other reservations about this board...I've never heard of the company and it uses SO-Dimm Ram. Stupid gripes I know.

My concern is that my Areca 1261mL will be crippled running in a 4x PCIE slot.
Can anyone provide some insight?
Dunno...is my piece of string too short?

I absolutely need the dual lan.
Are you sure that realtek will work well with whatever you're doing? Is there a reason why you can't buy a dual nic card?

I have my other reservations about this board...I've never heard of the company and it uses SO-Dimm Ram.
Jetway has been around for ages, but the stuff they offer direct to consumers is usually low end or so weird no one would want to buy it. Sodimms are smaller and not much more expensive at the moment.

I don't know enough about PCIe to know how gracefully it handles this situation, but I can say this:

I have my ARC-1261ML in a 8x PCIE slot, and it only goes up to about 840 MB/s. Areca's published benchmarks show the same limit.

Even in PCIE v1.0, each lane is 250 MB/s. So 4x should give 1000 MB/s, which is already more than 840 MB/s. So theoretically, the ARC-1261ML should not be crippled. But maybe there's overhead that has to be factored in; I'm not sure.

I can't buy a dual nic card, as it will take up my only pcie slot.

I'm also not trying to do anything crazy with the dual lan. I just need one for a modem, the other to access the network. The router will take the 2nd modem that provides net access to all clients.

I don't know enough about PCIe to know how gracefully it handles this situation, but I can say this:

I have my ARC-1261ML in a 8x PCIE slot, and it only goes up to about 840 MB/s. Areca's published benchmarks show the same limit.

Even in PCIE v1.0, each lane is 250 MB/s. So 4x should give 1000 MB/s, which is already more than 840 MB/s. So theoretically, the ARC-1261ML should not be crippled. But maybe there's overhead that has to be factored in; I'm not sure.

Thanks for the technical reply. I guess I can always purchase a E-350 test it and see how it runs. Just wanted to ask around first.

Back