Are Your Speakers Too Big Or Too Small For Your Room?

It's actually verbatim :)
Polypropylene (sorta like hard rubber) injected into a mold.
Rubber suspension of the membrane within its housing. Probably glued to the membrane.

Not one, not zero, but two magnets.
I think this is done due to space constraints but I might be wrong as there are dual coil-dual magnet drivers, or so I see in a patent online.

I think you've set them up a bit wrong though, in the corner of the room they would probably sound better facing slightly outwards (open angle) instead of this dual focusing action goin' on :D

Directly from the spec sheet:

5 1/4” (133mm)
Injection Molded Clay/Ceramic
Reinforced Polypropylene Cone
Rubber Surround
Dual Magnet

I have no idea what all that means, but the sound is sublime. :)

OCP stands for Overclockers Comparision Page. Whip it out and post it :D whip out a camera I mean :D

LOL, nope I can't whip out anything. It's too dark around here and even with all the lights on, all you can see is my stupid XP Home COA sticker on the bottom of the computer through the crappy camera.

LOL, nope I can't whip out anything. It's too dark around here and even with all the lights on, all you can see is my stupid XP Home COA sticker on the bottom of the computer through the crappy camera.

By now I should confess - you'd be probably boasting about your cooling air intake. The speakers are usually slid into the front or upper cover.

It's noisy though, so you'd be almost on point!

I think you've set them up a bit wrong though, in the corner of the room they would probably sound better facing slightly outwards (open angle) instead of this dual focusing action goin' on :D
Interesting... everything I've ever read suggests the inward-facing position for near-field listening. Whywould outward-facing sound better?

Meh go big or go home.

My Polk 7.2 setup sounds great, my Logitech 5.1 now in storage

RTI 12 Front Tower
CSi5 Center
FXI A6 (6 Units) SB, SR & FH
PSW 505 Sub x2
Emotiva XPA 2 Amp

3200Watts Max~

Lets just say you can feel the games :eek:. I know the towers would sound even better in a larger room, and I will move them to one if I ever get my one place. They still sound great as is.

I can't imagine sitting at this desk while those speakers are at any volume level. Would make me feel like the maxell guy.

I made the mistake of buying floorstanders for a smaller room when I first got into home theater. Well, bigger isn’t always better. My experience is that you’re better off with smaller speakers like bookshelves for smaller rooms, which arguably image better, and leave the lower bass to the subwoofer, which gives you more options in terms of placement.

The lesson here is that speakers only achieve their full potential in rooms with acoustics that complement the speakers. It's something of an oversimplification, but big speakers usually only sound best in large rooms, and small speakers in tiny rooms.

Sub/sat systems only really work if you have a pair of subs. There's something inherently odd about having a single subwoofer as the sole source of bass energy for two-channel listening. Now, I suppose if you're doing a 5.1 system, where the .1 channel is its own thing and not mixed in with the other channels, then it's probably okay.

Interesting... everything I've ever read suggests the inward-facing position for near-field listening. Whywould outward-facing sound better?

Just slightly outward. Well, you're already in a corner, so it'd seem they're not focusing before you nor behind you, just cancelling each other blasting onto adjacent walls. I might be wrong! professional acoustics are out of my league. I just did a lot of experimenting.

Back