Are You Among the 600?

Robert_Whited

[H] News Editor
Google has reported that 600 communities are seeking their fiber. I personally have nominated my community and have written many officials in hope of them looking into this. Here where I live currently is limited to 15/1 service at the fastest.

"As we narrow down our choices, we’ll be conducting site visits, meeting with local officials and consulting with third- party organizations," James Kelly, a product manager, said in the blog posting.

We have one choice for broadband......Hargray 10/2 or something for the upload.

And their service is terrible.........slow downs randomly during the day etc.....

i freaking wish. But Time Warner has up tied up with barbed wire and ball gagged with lit cherry bombs.

I sent emails to all my local officials informing them of this, outlining what I believed to be the pros/cons. Didn't get a response from a one...fuckin' politicians. On the bright side, Fios upped my connection to 35/35 the other day on my renewal for no added cost (from 20/5), so my anger at being ignored has subsided somewhat :p

God, I wish it would come to our part of Houston. All we have is Comcast and ATT DSL/U-Verse.

You can at least GET Fios.

Some of us are paying $50/mo for 8mb/768 Cable. While its reliable, its laughable.

I can get 20mb/1mb (again, notice the piss poor upload) for like $119/mo, what a deal right!

Our whole community got involved in this. They even had a night where the hockey game and all food/beer was $1. It was so much fun seeing everyone working together for once, now if they could only do that with the state budget...

You can *only* get 15/1?

I live in freakin South Florida. I'm 5miles from 2 major highways and about .3 miles from the Atlantic. I live in a 4 bed 2k square foot condo that's about a quarter mile from US1 and I can only get 8/1 MAX and that's 53 bucks a month on top of cable tv service.

Would LOVE me some 15/1.

Is there a link to a list of the actual 600 communities? I dont see it in the original post.

Yes very true. Our internet is based off the 2 tin cans with a string between them or whatever was used when the first 13 states were formed. I'm paying for 768 down and 500 up. $99 a month for the best internet in the 3rd world!

And have I ever mentioned there is fiber at the school that I can literally hit with a rock throw from my house? Fiber that is private for the State of North Carolina Public School System. I've debated the prison sentence if I broke in one night and installed a wireless router. I wonder how long until the hicks noticed that there was an extra device in the network? I'd be willing to trench a run to my house if I was certain I could get in the network afterwards. :)

Heck yea!!! But there's govenment leased fiber is a stone's throw from my house that makes the situation even sadder. Owned by Embarq also. I even offered to buy all necessary hardware and pay the manpower to run it to my house. Oh well.

Third world - Belize is listed as 512/128 - it actual fact it doesn't get that high.

Is Google going to do any roll outs in Canada? I get a whopping 2.55/0.68 on Telus (at least it's more stable than Shaw which drops all the bloody time).

Yes very true. Our internet is based off the 2 tin cans with a string between them or whatever was used when the first 13 states were formed. I'm paying for 768 down and 500 up. $99 a month for the best internet in the 3rd world!

And have I ever mentioned there is fiber at the school that I can literally hit with a rock throw from my house? Fiber that is private for the State of North Carolina Public School System. I've debated the prison sentence if I broke in one night and installed a wireless router. I wonder how long until the hicks noticed that there was an extra device in the network? I'd be willing to trench a run to my house if I was certain I could get in the network afterwards. :)
$100 a month?! Go dialup.

I live in freakin South Florida. I'm 5miles from 2 major highways and about .3 miles from the Atlantic. I live in a 4 bed 2k square foot condo that's about a quarter mile from US1 and I can only get 8/1 MAX and that's 53 bucks a month on top of cable tv service.

Now that's interesting because I too live in South Florida, but the highest speed that's available to me is 50 mbps down and 10 mbps up.

Max here is 10m/768k, I only get 5/640k :/

Gigabit would be a Godsend around here.

wow. what happen to the days when the bigger the e pennis, the better? Now we are fighting over who has the smallest?

Is the world ending? Where Sam and Dean when u need them :rolleyes:

I get 20/2 here for $50 a month due. Can get 60/something (not sure what the up speed is off hand) for $100, but it would require finding a good DOCSIS 3.0 modem as thats what Charter wants all their customers at my speed and up to use, but the one they offer is shit and I've heard about the Motorola 3.0 ones having issues as well.

I get 20/2 here for $50 a month due. Can get 60/something (not sure what the up speed is off hand) for $100, but it would require finding a good DOCSIS 3.0 modem as thats what Charter wants all their customers at my speed and up to use, but the one they offer is shit and I've heard about the Motorola 3.0 ones having issues as well.

Supposed to be $50 a month due to a deal Charter offered.

I'm fairly happy with the 20/5 I get for $30 here through Comcast.

Fiber would be nice, though. Or at least to have the option, since we don't get FiOS even.

I get a whopping 2.55/0.68 on Telus (at least it's more stable than Shaw which drops all the bloody time).
Be glad you don't deal with MTS Internet. My $50/month MTS DSL connection (4mb/400kb) would drop 30 times a day or more, at least. In my province Shaw (7.5mb/512kb) is a bastion of stability compared to the grossly overpriced MTS connection.

Once the Shaw promo is over I'll probably threaten Shaw to switch. MTS offered price cuts when I canceled, but I didn't accept. Shaw will probably do the same.

The single benefit of MTS was no monthly cap, but when your internet is only up for 20 seconds of every 7 minutes the constant anger at the terrible DSL modem isn't worth it.

Supposed to be $50 a month due to a deal Charter offered.

Charter is sending free Docsis 3 modems. Check your email that is connected to your account.

It's probably a Ubee (Which is the new Ambit brand), but it supposedly works decently... I'm getting one for free, so I'll let ya know how it goes if your interested (Also a charter customer).

Ha ha, I see you're one of the poor souls suffering through our extended reach DSL. Beats dialup I guess..... Barely....

I know your pain, well not really but I am in coastal NC and it sucks as well. My dl actual speed isn't near this, about 1mbps this is that turbo boost crapola..

I am planning on building a new house in the next town over, and will be stuck with DSL then.

"Topeka temporarily changed its named to Google, Kansas, to curry favor with the company."

Thats some serious ass kissing

I don't give a damn about their Broadband service. I'll take some of those fat stacks of money though.

I'm in Tampa and I had FiOS 20/20, which is now 25/15. I nominated the Tampa Bay area because we have a fairly bustling tech industry down here, though there's plenty of places where Google can move in. Tampa Bay isn't just Tampa, it's Clearwater and St. Petersburg too. There's more going on down here than people think.

20 down 1 up on Comcast here near Houston but you never actually hit those speeds on anything but speed test. Comcast caps your download and upload hard.

That seemed hi.. ran it twice more.. This is about right.. It's a 20/20 connection but I have other computers on it too..

I live in NC and the internet isn't bad here, you pretty much have two choices: Charter or Embarq/CenturyLink.

I went with CenturyLink since everyone in my neighborhood is hooked up on Charter cable and I never got the said speed I was paying for. It was usually 5-10meg less. But recently Charter upgraded all the speeds here in NC from like 10meg to 20meg without extra cost. So I may switch again.

764674028.png

Back