Are we getting Ryzen Desktop 8000 or is it just APU

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
So, to be fair, I haven't been keeping up with the news. Are we getting Ryzen 8000 series Desktop CPUs or is the 8000 series only going to be APUs and we are going to have to wait until 9000 series Desktop CPUs? What about 8000 series GPUs.

I can buy a 7800x3d rght now, the prices are great at Microcenter in Atlanta, but I can also wait if they are right around the corner. Sorry just haven't been my main focus as of late to keep up with every ounce of hardware news.

thanks

So, to be fair, I haven't been keeping up with the news. Are we getting Ryzen 8000 series Desktop CPUs or is the 8000 series only going to be APUs and we are going to have to wait until 9000 series Desktop CPUs? What about 8000 series GPUs.

I can buy a 7800x3d rght now, the prices are great at Microcenter in Atlanta, but I can also wait if they are right around the corner. Sorry just haven't been my main focus as of late to keep up with every ounce of hardware news.

thanks
I dunno what they will be numbered as-----But Zen 5 Desktop will likely be announced at CES, in January. Maybe launched right then, or maybe a couple of weeks later. No confirmation, yet.

Zen 5 should be a pretty big jump from Zen 4. Will be interesting to see how the 7800X3D compares, for gaming.

You can get the follow up to 7800x3d in Q1 25. I say go ahead and get the 7800x3d and then in 14 months or so, Sell the 7800x3d and grab the 9000 series x3d.
If Zen 6 gets confirmed for AM5, I will wait for the Zen 6 X3D's. So, I will wait for confirmation of which platform Zen 6 will be on, before I consider a purchase of Zen 5 X3D.

I am having instability problems with the z690 and a 13900k i am moving back over. It was so bad last night i was going to sell it right then and there but i am going offshore in a few days so what ever. I know it has to be asus bio when i updated but god damn man. Please sell these chips SOON.

I am having instability problems with the z690 and a 13900k i am moving back over. It was so bad last night i was going to sell it right then and there but i am going offshore in a few days so what ever. I know it has to be asus bio when i updated but god damn man. Please sell these chips SOON.
Man that sucks. I haven't used Intel in literal years. Since Ryzen 1 came out. Though I was considering it.

On a side note I have been playing Captain of Industry. I'm a big factory game fan. I k ow the game isn't optimized but I feel like my Ryzen 6800h Laptop is bogging down on the game where a much faster x3d desktop chip is going to fare much better.

I've owned threadrippers, 3090s, I gave my son my 5800x cpu and board. I reduced to a laptop since we sold our house a year ago and bought another house so my focus was on that but that's behind us now and I'm missing the power of a full desktop rig.

Edit* it was gpu, 3070ti, was having struggles in high graphics mode. Cpu seems to be just dandy.

Last edited:
I dunno what they will be numbered as-----But Zen 5 Desktop will likely be announced at CES, in January. Maybe launched right then, or maybe a couple of weeks later. No confirmation, yet.

Zen 5 should be a pretty big jump from Zen 4. Will be interesting to see how the 7800X3D compares, for gaming.

Zen 5 desktop looks to be a smaller update than we expected.

The rumors are:

Overall clock speeds are about the same, top skus will turbo a 200-300mgh higher, +15% IPC, 7-10% better single-threaded performance, 25% better multi-thread performance, 20% power usage decrease, AMX AI/ML instructions in addition to other AMD AI features

APU performance is near 200%, which is good

Zen 5 Server is expected to increase core count by 25% (128 cores) and Zen 5c by 50% (192 cores)

Intel had to roll back its expectations for Granite Rapids, so Zen 5 will maintain AMD's momentum going into 2025. But Intel will close the gap a bit with performance that is between Zen 3 and Zen 4 at a performance per watt POV. Diamond Rapids will likely put them near Zen 5 caliber, but Zen 6 will be < 6 months from release at that point.

It's going to be an interesting time, that's for sure.

Zen 5 desktop looks to be a smaller update than we expected.

The rumors are:

Overall clock speeds are about the same, top skus will turbo a 200-300mgh higher, +15% IPC, 7-10% better single-threaded performance, 25% better multi-thread performance, 20% power usage decrease, AMX AI/ML instructions in addition to other AMD AI features

APU performance is near 200%, which is good

Zen 5 Server is expected to increase core count by 25% (128 cores) and Zen 5c by 50% (192 cores)

Intel had to roll back its expectations for Granite Rapids, so Zen 5 will maintain AMD's momentum going into 2025. But Intel will close the gap a bit with performance that is between Zen 3 and Zen 4 at a performance per watt POV. Diamond Rapids will likely put them near Zen 5 caliber, but Zen 6 will be < 6 months from release at that point.

It's going to be an interesting time, that's for sure.
Some of the leakers think AMD are lowballing the performance improvement. Just like they did with Zen 3.

Also, Zen 5 is supposed to have big improvements for AVX.

If Zen 6 gets confirmed for AM5, I will wait for the Zen 6 X3D's. So, I will wait for confirmation of which platform Zen 6 will be on, before I consider a purchase of Zen 5 X3D.
Zen 5 X3D is good enough for people looking to upgrade from i9 12xxx/2020+ AM4 I reckon. Zen 6 X3D could be a very long way off if AMD choose to alter their release schedule.

Zen 5 X3D is good enough for people looking to upgrade from i9 12xxx/2020+ AM4 I reckon. Zen 6 X3D could be a very long way off if AMD choose to alter their release schedule.
Leakers are now saying that AMD may very well be doing a new platform, for Zen 6.

Leakers are now saying that AMD may very well be doing a new platform, for Zen 6.
Like what I've been skeptical about it. AM4 is a one time off that we have to take into consideration there was no X3D during the initial period between Ryzen 1-3. 5500-5800X3D came at the very end of the platform's life. I considered it more like a privilege to gamers.

Are we getting Ryzen 8000 series Desktop CPUs or is the 8000 series only going to be APUs and we are going to have to wait until 9000 series Desktop CPUs?
We don't know because AMD hasn't announced anything yet. Though if you look back at previous generations, a pattern emerges:
Ryzen 3000 -> CPUs and APUs
Ryzen 4000 -> only APUs
Ryzen 5000 -> CPUs and APUs
Ryzen 6000 -> only APUs
Ryzen 7000 -> CPUs and APUs
Ryzen 8000 -> ?

I would not be surprised if AMD launches Zen5 as Ryzen 9000.

i think they have announced them now, and 8000 series is laptop apus.
edit: yup, according to google theyll be available Q2 '24.

How can you have +15% IPC and only 7-10% better ST performance, specially if the frequency goes up ? Maybe performance and IPC are less linked than I thought, I almost just made it to be an expression to talk about performance at same frequency.

+15% would be a massive for a gen-gen of that type no ? That zen+ to zen2 upgrade type.

If they gain 15% IPC + 4.5% clock, would expect 20% ST jump, mt would be a lot about that power usage decrease, 25% for a 15% ipc and 20 better power sound low.

How can you have +15% IPC and only 7-10% better ST performance, specially if the frequency goes up ? Maybe performance and IPC are less linked than I thought, I almost just made it to be an expression to talk about performance at same frequency.

+15% would be a massive for a gen-gen of that type no ? That zen+ to zen2 upgrade type.

If they gain 15% IPC + 4.5% clock, would expect 20% ST jump, mt would be a lot about that power usage decrease, 25% for a 15% ipc and 20 better power sound low.

Your math isn't wrong, expect a slight clk speed decrease for single thread turbo for most skus...

Leaked Flyer Hints at Possible AMD Ryzen 9000 Series Powered by Zen 5

https://www.techpowerup.com/315584/...ssible-amd-ryzen-9000-series-powered-by-zen-5

"A curious piece of marketing material on the Chiphell forum has sent ripples through the tech community, featuring what appears to be an Alienware desktop equipped with an unannounced AMD Ryzen 9000-series processor. The authenticity of this flyer is up for debate, with possibilities ranging from a simple typo by Alienware to a fabricated image, or it could even suggest that AMD is on the cusp of unveiling its next-generation Ryzen CPUs for desktop PCs. While intrigue is high, it's important to approach such revelations cautiously, with a big grain of salt. AMD's existing roadmap points toward a 2024 release for its Zen 5-based Ryzen desktop processors and EPYC server CPUs, which casts further doubt on the Ryzen 9000 series appearing ahead of schedule."

Now that all the info's out. 8700G has 8 cores/16 threads, 16 PCI-E lanes, a better graphics core then Ryzen 7000 and the AI NPU whatever. So unless you want a 7800x3d for gaming, or a 7900 or 7950 for productivity, what's the advantage of 7700 or lower? Am I missing something the specifications I'm just not understanding? It seems that these APUs have already replaced the lower tier Ryzen 7000 chips.

Now that all the info's out. 8700G has 8 cores/16 threads, 16 PCI-E lanes, a better graphics core then Ryzen 7000 and the AI NPU whatever. So unless you want a 7800x3d for gaming, or a 7900 or 7950 for productivity, what's the advantage of 7700 or lower? Am I missing something the specifications I'm just not understanding? It seems that these APUs have already replaced the lower tier Ryzen 7000 chips.
Well, probably except on price. Like anything "new", sure, it "replaces", but while stock lasts, for example, most probably can't take advantage of much of the new features in existing rigs....

So, I'll say the main reason would be price. But you're right about new DiY builders and this is true for most things, if "new", you should strive to build with "new" if possible. But, in the particular case, because the extra "features" might be "too niche", I could see people sticking with older because of performance and price today. They shouldn't miss much. And by the time the "new features" become more interesting, I figure we'll be way beyond this "first gen" of AI product.

Less cache, lower boost clock and higher price ?

If you only want the CPU part, wouldn't 7700x performance better for a better price (like the 5700x vs 5700G of the past) ?

Less cache, lower boost clock and higher price ?

If you only want the CPU part, wouldn't 7700x performance better for a better price (like the 5700x vs 5700G of the past) ?
Less cache... that's all you needed to say. That makes it way more mainstream then gaming focused. I didn't see that at first and it all makes sense. If I'm building a gaming rig on a budget I'd pick more cache than an AI chip I'll never use.

I wonder will there be a new chipsets for AM5? The x670 chipset feels like its is hacked together from 2 low end asmedia Promentory 21 chipsets.
The Intel z690/z790 seems so much better.

The 1000->2000->3000->5000-->7000-->9000, is not the best naming scheme ever. The possible 16 core by CCD, 6400DDR-5, compatible as expected on AMD current 600 motherboard feeling like all nice news.

Will be fun to see what TSMC 4 will go with this and if it could mean 32 core for the masses and giant cache 16 core gaming cpu on a single CCD.

The 1000->2000->3000->5000-->7000-->9000, is not the best naming scheme ever. The possible 16 core by CCD, 6400DDR-5, compatible as expected on AMD current 600 motherboard feeling like all nice news.

Will be fun to see what TSMC 4 will go with this and if it could mean 32 core for the masses and giant cache 16 core gaming cpu on a single CCD.
Wonder if they're randomly skipping naming generations to catch up to intel 🤷‍♂️

16 cores on a single CCD is huge imo and compelling enough for me to upgrade if true. I’d imagine that would address a lot of scheduling issues as well as latency from having to traverse infinity fabric.

Wait. 8000 series is not desktop cpus? We have to wait until 9000 series?

The model numbers don't matter, and never mattered. Look at the specs.

8000g series is Zen 4 with a nice gpu for desktop. Zen 4 for desktop without a nice gpu is already here.

Zen 5 for desktop is coming sooner or later, but we won't know what model numbers it has until it hatches. Most likely, Zen5 with a nice gpu for laptops will come after Zen5 for desktops and servers, and Zen5 with a nice gpu for desktops will come last. None of the model numbers will make sense.

Back