Are these Steam Lawsuits for real?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I keep seeing ads for the Steam Lawsuit. I was wondering if there for real or not? Has anyone signed up for it and actually got anything?

Define legit? It's as legit as lawyer's wanting to make a name for themselves. They are trying to bring a class action lawsuit against Valve for being a "monopoly." To do that they need to build up the roster of those seeking arbitration against Valve for the practice. You can file a claim if you really want to, but think about why you're doing it. Do you believe Steam is really a monopoly in the PC gaming market, and do you believe that because of their behavior it's limiting or hurting your choices when it comes to purchasing games? Or are you simply looking for an easy pay day?

You can go to the law firm's website to read the claim for yourself. Do note that this was started by a couple of no-name indie developers when their own cases were shot down.

https://www.bucherlawfirm.com/_files/ugd/38f6ef_69ae2fee5c5548538d526669d99be533.pdf

No, I don't think there a monopoly. I have always been happy with there services. I was just seeing the ads mostly on facebook and was curious about it.

IIRC an indie game company did bring a lawsuit against Valve for their policy where Valve demanded they set the price of their game on EGS to $X value or get they will kicked off steam. (I don't remember the 100% exact details but it was something like that, Valve has a clause in their developer ToS where they can limit the prices of your games on *other* platforms)

It's probably fair to say while Steam isn't a true monopoly it's close to *effectively* being one in the PC space at the moment.

IIRC an indie game company did bring a lawsuit against Valve for their policy where Valve demanded they set the price of their game on EGS to $X value or get they will kicked off steam. (I don't remember the 100% exact details but it was something like that, Valve has a clause in their developer ToS where they can limit the prices of your games on *other* platforms)

It's probably fair to say while Steam isn't a true monopoly it's close to *effectively* being one in the PC space at the moment.

My assumption is they want to price it at $50 on Steam, and maybe $40 on EGS to kick the savings back to the customers. I'm not sure I care enough to look for their ToS regarding pricing although I am sure you can likely find it on some Valve FAQ somewhere.

The law firm representing the claim will also take a portion of the refund. Mason LLP says their fee is 40% of the recovery.

Just a small 40% of the value. :ROFLMAO:

If they have a clause in the contract that says you cant sell at X for less than here, that is perfectly legal and is relatively standard in distribution deals for physical goods as well.

As long as what steam wants is along those lines, its perfectly reasonable. You dont HAVE to sell to steam. They arent stopping you from distributing elsewhere, there are other viable options, etc etc.
It takes a lot to actually be considered a monopoly, and steam is not one. There is also clear evidence that Steam, EGS, GOG and such are not in any form of price fixing coordination, which is the other primary lawsuit target - so thats not an option.

This lawsuit will get nowhere, they wont win anything, and everyone who signs up will be data mined once the "lawers" sell it off.

Back