Apple Still Doesn't Understand How DST Works

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For the upteenth time in a row, Apple has failed to fix the Daylight Saving Time glitch that has plagued their products since….well, forever. With all of those highly paid and super intelligent engineers on the payroll, it really is a crying shame one of them can’t come up with a simple solution.

There have been reports of the device not updating, updating in areas that do not observe DST and some devices updated for the time change but then reverted back to DST.

Mine converted fine as well. iPhone 4S on Sprint.

A buddies iphone4 went an hour ahead instead of back. Reminded me

Hmm, it sounds like those "highly paid super intelligent engineers" were fresh out of black turtlenecks and one button mice to support them in solving complex problems.

PS: Umpteenth, I´m a grammar Nazi.

Apple's response: The software works fine; you're just living in the wrong place.
I think what is not available everywhere(at least in not in all developed countries sux) There are dozens of companies who don't support or if yes, don't serve full functionality in certain areas, I believe there is no real reason why is that, they are just lazy asses to basically make it work everywhere. Although let be honest, why you need such a function, you can't set DST yourself when it occurs?

people who had it work probably use time syncing
people who had problems probably have the time set to not sync and that leaves the apple method to do the changing.

Wow, so we found a feature that even Windows Phone has that the iPhone doesn't....

Actually.. I have an EVO 4G on Sprint, and the damn thing jumped back TWO hours. While I can fix it by changing the time manually, I either have to leave it in manual mode, or switch it back to auto-update and it reverts to the double dip.

Simple solution... abolish DST.

Ya kinda agree, were getting closer to a 24 hour society, so it shouldn't be a big deal anymore.

I can only imagine how weird it must be to live or work in those areas where you have 2 close cities and 1 observes DST and 1 doesn't (Arizonia).

So a few users have a problem and everyone goes nuts? This worked perfectly fine on *all* of my apple devices.

Just remember that Apple is still a rookie in the phone business. They had elementary mistakes like the antenna design. lol

while I think DST is the biggest load of crap - I will say that my Evo4G not only kept track of the time perfectly even the alarm system was smart enough to anticipate and update my schedule.

Example: at 1130pm I activate my alarm and it pops up and says " 6 hours 30 minutes till wake up time" I'm like huh? (the phone hasnt adjusted for DST yet)

it was pretty cool that the phone knew DST was coming at 2am and gave me the absolute correct amount of sleep time even though it hadn't auto-updated itself yet.

If you tried this on the iphone -- I'm sure a small fire would ensue.

Funny side story -- Saturday I get home from work at 3pm (i work 4am to 3pm) fall into bed for a nap, wake up at 6:15pm but i SWORE it was 615am Sunday morning by the light level outside. I thought I had slept through the night, freaked out and started running around my house like crazy (I have to be clocked in and working by 6am)

Needless to say when I realized it was 6:15pm and still saturday I did one of those evil henchmen things in my mind *shakes fist*

Honestly - who gives a fuck if its light/dark when you wake up/get off work. Daylight savings time has and always will be a giant pain in the ass.

My 4S changed just fine.

Also yesterday Motorola announced a serious DST bug in their Android phones was found.

DST screws everyone up since it is an arbitrary rule made by government that keeps changing.

I have to agree that DST is stupid. Always have.

Though I don't know how they can't fix this apparently annoying problem... it seems like it would be a simple process/update to apply.

Android phone had no problem with this. Super old PC from 2001 had no problem with this. Super new expensive iPhones do.

Makes sense, Apple product.

both my iphone (4) switched as did my dad's ipad 1 and 2. my macbook and hell even my osx vm switched too.

My phone, the girlfriend's, and both our Mac laptops updated fine. My phone is on totally stock settings, so I would guess anyone who spent time changing the time features can probably figure out how to make it work correctly.

Some (most?) days I wonder why I come in this subforum. This is not news.

I think what is not available everywhere(at least in not in all developed countries sux) There are dozens of companies who don't support or if yes, don't serve full functionality in certain areas, I believe there is no real reason why is that, they are just lazy asses to basically make it work everywhere. Although let be honest, why you need such a function, you can't set DST yourself when it occurs?

what is this I don't even

English, do you speak it?

My phone, the girlfriend's, and both our Mac laptops updated fine. My phone is on totally stock settings, so I would guess anyone who spent time changing the time features can probably figure out how to make it work correctly.

Some (most?) days I wonder why I come in this subforum. This is not news.

the front page consists of apple/jobs bashing and hmm....not sure what else.

Apple isn't making any mistakes with DST. DST is a error in itself!

While apple pulls boner after boner, I will say that DST itself is an error.

Instead of simply waking up earlier to get your shit done, people decided to alter the entire worlds time table, pretty selfish if you ask me. Yes yes, I fully realize that it was instituted to "save energy". The jury is out out on that IMO.

One thing is for certain - DST is 100% effective at making everyone late or early one day out of the year. And screwing up well established sleep patterns.

I wish they'd just scrap DST. It's nothing but a needless annoyance that complicates things for no reason.

My girlfriend's 3gs updated perfectly. Not sure that this applies to everyone?

Hmm, it sounds like those "highly paid super intelligent engineers" were fresh out of black turtlenecks and one button mice to support them in solving complex problems.

PS: Umpteenth, I´m a grammar Nazi.

Too bad umpteenth isn't a word.

:D

OT: What I don't understand is how millions of other cell phone products can update just fine without a single issue across multiple platforms, but Apple's "It just works" software apparently doesn't work.

Too bad umpteenth isn't a word.

:D

OT: What I don't understand is how millions of other cell phone products can update just fine without a single issue across multiple platforms, but Apple's "It just works" software apparently doesn't work.

i have yet to see anyone in this thread say theirs didn't update. nor have I heard / seen any of my friends phones not update, same goes for the other products in my house.

Back