Anyone went strictly to SSDs only yet ?

For PC. I have went SSD many years ago starting with a Intel SSD 320 160gb model. The largest HDD for client was 320GB Seagate.
For NAS, I still go SATA HDD. The price of large SATA SSD isn't particular compelling.

SATA SSD since 2013...
Intel 320 160GB
Intel DCS 3500 240GB
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Samsung 870 Evo 2TB x 2
Samsung 870 Evo 4TB

Transition mostly to NVMe SSD's since 2018. except for the 4TB Evo that was purchase recently.
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB
Intel 660p 2TB x 2
Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB x 2
Intel 905p 960GB
Micron 7400 Pro 7.68TB

Couldn't they just use blurays instead?
Ever seen a five year old and a three year old handle optical disc's? Hell my 34 year old sometimes doesn't put them back when done. At least they aren't my discs though.

No thanks. Rip and store. Plus, when the younger ones log in to Plex, it shows them age appropriate media. It's actually Winnie the Pooh cartoons, not the Blood and Hunny horror flick.
They can watch their movies as often as they like, even while traveling. No Blu Ray needed in the mini van.

So far I've boiled your point down to:
data = millstone
because, no one will want your data after you're dead.

I directly addressed that point. Just because no one else has interest in an individual's data doesn't mean it's not valuable to them.
This position you basically can only really hold for yourself as some sort of maxim. But it's not something that can remotely be transferred to how other people want to live or operate.
"And to anyone else but you, your data probably is worthless." Is my point.

But yes the truth is, people really dont care about your stuff unless it's worth cold hard cash. Sorry, that's the cold hard truth. I deal with estate clearances on occasion, if it aint worth easy money it gets trashed. People don't have the space or the time to keep your old junk, that includes your CD/record or Blu ray collection, you name it. They may say it while you are alive...to not hurt your feelings but...

Once you get over that, you can move on. Denial is a terrible thing. But you carry on hoarding. ;)

all nvme here... gaming rig with 4x 2gb nvme
plex runs ssd but my files are stored on file server where I have an SSD pool and a SATA pool...
my hyper-v server... no spinnys... heck put a dell quad nvme card in a lenovo

forgot to add my xls.. at work, we were putting in additional SATA drives (2018 and older). I used AnvilBenchmark to do an XLS and provide performance data to my management explaining the slight extra cost was worth it in pure performance gains alone. Now we are all SSD, and new machines coming in with NVMe and if we add, we add ssd.

There are faster nvme now as i think my friend just did it with a 4tb wd black nvme... 20,972.16 performance score!!!!

Attachments

• Anvil.png
    Anvil.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
To be fair though, only one of my boxes has hard drives in it.
Most all the others are nvme only, a couple have additional SSD's for light storage.

If, SSD's would come in hard drive sizes (8+TB) without being excessively priced, I'd be running those instead. Would love the size and power requirements in my Plex box

You just can't beat the large storage, at reasonable prices, for those who need it.

Wasn't it in 2016 Seagate ran their mouth about a 60 TB hard drive, and don't they have 30 TB coming soon in 2024? Imagine the time to re rip 60 TB of Blu ray..... Ugh, but full sized non condensed Blu ray movies....... Mmmm

For the consumer side, what's going to sell better? $300 20 TB spinner or a $3300 30.7 TB ssd?
quickie google prices, I'm sure the 30.7 TB is on sale somewhere.

Would I use a spinner for the OS drive these days? Hell no, unless I had too. I'm not above it, but I'd whine about it.

I believe at this point everything I run has a flash drive of some sort. Even my pfsense router build boots off an NVME.

"And to anyone else but you, your data probably is worthless." Is my point.

But yes the truth is, people really dont care about your stuff unless it's worth cold hard cash. Sorry, that's the cold hard truth. I deal with estate clearances on occasion, if it aint worth easy money it gets trashed. People don't have the space or the time to keep your old junk, that includes your CD/record or Blu ray collection, you name it. They may say it while you are alive...to not hurt your feelings but...

Once you get over that, you can move on. Denial is a terrible thing. But you carry on hoarding. ;)

You defeated your own point in this very response. The reasons why people have things are personal and virtually always only relevant to that individual person.
Or in other words, "other people caring about your junk after you're dead should determine whether or not said junk is valuable to you".
In essence you're saying other people's caring or lack thereof should determine how you live your life. If you truly believe that, than anytime someone on the internet says: "kill yourself" then people should do that action, because they should care about how other people view it.

You're basically advocating for "digital asceticism". Or just asceticism in general. Everything you own in your entire life as you yourself note, could be viewed through this lens that no one else gives a flip about it. So if you truly had the courage of your convictions, you not only wouldn't store any data whether personal or not, but you'd get rid of the very computer you're typing on to post these absurd messages.

Or you can concede the multiple points that you own many things that only serve your purposes and you do in fact have and have collected many things that no one will care about after you're dead whether it's data or not. And just because other people don't care about it, doesn't mean that it ceases to have meaning.

You defeated your own point in this very response. The reasons why people have things are personal and virtually always only relevant to that individual person.
Or in other words, "other people caring about your junk after you're dead should determine whether or not said junk is valuable to you".
In essence you're saying other people's caring or lack thereof should determine how you live your life. If you truly believe that, than anytime someone on the internet says: "kill yourself" then people should do that action, because they should care about how other people view it.

You're basically advocating for "digital asceticism". Or just asceticism in general. Everything you own in your entire life as you yourself note, could be viewed through this lens that no one else gives a flip about it. So if you truly had the courage of your convictions, you not only wouldn't store any data whether personal or not, but you'd get rid of the very computer you're typing on to post these absurd messages.

Or you can concede the multiple points that you own many things that only serve your purposes and you do in fact have and have collected many things that no one will care about after you're dead whether it's data or not. And just because other people don't care about it, doesn't mean that it ceases to have meaning.

Again where did I say it isnt of value or use to YOU? Jeez...

I have no children so I know 90% of my stuff will go to a charity store or a skip. I have accepted that. That is my path, I can't sit here worrying about it.

I do have data and thats fine because it is USEFUL to me currently but I am fully aware it is of no use or interest to anyone else. It will all be dumped (probably well before I die). That's fine. I don't care. It is of no use to anyone. A lifetime of digital photos, music and such...gone. My parents have photo albums of my family from past generations, As I have no idea who any of them are or care, they will be thrown in the recycling most likely. In fact my father asked me a few years ago if there was anything I specifically wanted from their home once they were gone. I told him "Dad, there is nothing I want here, I have all my stuff I need already, just leave as little as you can for me to deal with and I'll take whatever cash is left from that, cos it's you that matters now, not the stuff after!" He smiled and said "fair point!" So they then started taking stuff to the local auction and selling it. They were getting masses of cash and they enjoy it. I will have far less junk to deal with, win win.

Just don't tie yourself down with masses of stuff that you don't need, use or even know still exists. Your electricity bill wont thank you but your wallet will.

Also I doubt the care home will let you bring your ex-enterprise sever rig into your room, that or the WEF will have taken it all away under their "Digital Carbon Quota" regulations. I do a lot of equine photography at horse shows and jumping events, people like my work but again I am not worried as to what happens to it all after I'm feeble or dead. No one is going to search through TBs of data for any 'nuggets'. Half a dozen of your photos may live on on someone's wall but the rest of the digital files will be lost to time. That's a good enough achievement after you are gone. ;)

Anyway you do you and I'll do me. I'm still only using 30% of my 4TB RAID1 NAS after 5 years so I should be good to go and no one will miss whats on there. If my other half ever moves out I can go down to 5%! Hmmmmmm

Last edited:
Again where did I say it isnt of value or use to YOU? Jeez...
All of your statements are predicated on this idea:
I always feel the way to win with data is to not have much in the first place. It's a millstone.
At this point I think the only logical thing I can draw from all of your statements is that they are specifically about yourself. Because everyone in here cares about their own data. It was an idea about yourself that you wanted to share. It was more personal than general.

Everything I replied with was about what the normal person and likely maximum number of people would do. Which also doesn't interest you.

what the normal person and likely maximum number of people would do.
What percentage of human in the world have more than say 16TB of important to them data ? (and thus got out of having just a little bit easy to manage in a very simple 2 bay NAS).

What percentage of human in the world have more than say 16TB of important to them data ? (and thus got out of having just a little bit easy to manage in a very simple 2 bay NAS).
The quantity of data isn't the important part. Only that the idea that being disinterested in your own data is the only way to live by that maxim. And the truth is most both cannot and do not (and by most, I mean overwhelming majority. It would be impossible to have stats on this, but I would imagine it's <1/1000th of a single percent globally. Even in third world countries almost everyone has a cellphone with things on it that they care about).

The direct answer to your query is if you lived by that maxim is: it doesn't matter either way. Just delete it because it's worthless and no one else will care. It doesn't matter if it's 128kb or 6000TB, the point is there is some amount of data that every individual cares about.

The quantity of data isn't the important part. Only that the idea that being disinterested in your own data is the only way to live by that maxim. And the truth is most both cannot and do not.
I thought it was more to keep it to an easy to manage amount, being the point made: not have much in the first place, not have any if that was the point being easy to say instead.

I thought it was more to keep it to an easy to manage amount, being the point made: not have much in the first place, not have any if that was the point being easy to say instead.
We explored the idea of data and data hording in the thread. For him it comes down to the concept that no one else cares about your data other than you. And that in the reason why you shouldn’t bother to collect any amount.

For your discussion, then the amount of data that is “manageable” has to be defined. Both at an individual and corporate level.

Then there is the separate issue on what arbitrary limit you set out is even enough. When I was a kid, my Father was told that “no one will ever fill 1Gb of data” when they sold him his new Pentium 100Mhz with 16MB of RAM.

Now we have cellphones with 1TB. In 20 years I find it terribly unlikely that 16TB will be enough even for general users.

Either way I don’t think the idea of trying to create an arbitrary limit for even general users is tenable. People collect what they collect.

Last edited:
Spinners....SSD's.... whatdemiz ? hehehe.....

I've been m.2-only since shortly after they came out, except for the 2x 12TB back-up drives that only get used during their scheduled tasks....

#WD4Me4Eva#

I'm all NVME in my last 2 builds. My other rigs have NVME/SSD/spinner combos.

Been ssd for games and OS since 2008 with an slc 64gb ssd. Yes it was expensive ($750 msrp, I paid about 400 on a hot deal), and yes it was worth it.

Yes that was my point. Just try not to collect so much data in the first place you have to go to enterprise levels to manage it all. It becomes a liability then. But everyone likes to think they are really important and thus everything they have is important too. Thing is after you are gone...a lot of things you held as precious are not that precious to others, especially the ones tasked with sorting it all out. Thats the real hard truth. Whether you accept it or not...up to you. You will be dead and won't know after.

I've seen it on other forums like those that hoard copies of albums they have ripped of old jazz, blues records etc. They are totally convinced after they die, their grandkids are going to want to keep all their 2000+ CD-r collection in their one bedroom apartment.

They won't accept its going in a skip.

Your data is important to YOU definately. I never said otherwise (afaik). I just think some people have an unhealthy obsession with accumulating data as thought it is some precious substance (and one they want to hand down to the next generation or the next...) Most likely if you are honest, it isnt.

I guess the point is...do you really need all of it? How is anyone after you going to manage it? Will they want to?

Nothing more from me on this.

Last edited:
I don't use spinners anymore. I have a few hundred GB of data that is somewhat important to me, outside of that the rest is space for games. I do have a spinner in my system, it is no cables to and from it though. It has my music, family pics, and some vids. I should update it sometime. But I also have everything on my phone too, since I have a TB model.

Show me where I can get a 3D-stacked TLC NAND SSD for $2.75/TB, or better yet, MLC, and maybe I can do away with all the spinning rust in my non-retro systems. (Even there, a SCSI2SD/BlueSCSI/etc. works wonders for old Macs and Amigas, but will severely bottleneck an SGI Octane.)

Until then, there's at least 20 different 4 TB SAS HDDs slapped into some disk shelves right behind me, all whipped up into a ZFS zpool and shared via TrueNAS for some entry-level datahoarding, along with a shucked 14 TB drive in my main desktop for all the game installs and other stuff that can't fit on just 2 TB worth of NVMe SSD.

I have an asus x670-p board with a 7900x cpu. Can I do sata raid? Im interested!

I have an asus x670-p board with a 7900x cpu. Can I do sata raid? Im interested!
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-x670-p/techspec/
AMD RAIDXpert2 Technology supports both NVMe RAID 0/1/10 and SATA RAID 0/1/10.

If it is for other reason than fun-learn-try things but an actual goal, you can consider if a raid like setup is needed at all and if so if a software solution would not be better (zfs or other), tend to be the consensus for now a long time to almost always go software.

What is zfs? I was thinking of getting 2 big platter drives for storage and just raid 0. My data is replaceable. I dont care if a drive fails.

What is zfs? I was thinking of getting 2 big platter drives for storage and just raid 0. My data is replaceable. I dont care if a drive fails.
No point in bothering with that. A large platter drive will saturate the sata connection in some cases nowadays anyway.

No point in bothering with that. A large platter drive will saturate the sata connection in some cases nowadays anyway.
Not seen any reviews for 20TB+ drives (kind of niche now) but can they really hit sustained 500MBps read/write rates now?

Last edited:
I thought sequentially, yes. I haven't read reviews for awhile though.
Did a quick look at a couple of 20TB reviews and it looks like we are stuck at that 7200rpm/data density 250-280MBps limit.

Looks like we've gained like 70MBps over the 200 or so my single platter 1TB SSHD (short stroked to 200GB) from 2010 gave me.

Too bad WD won't revive their infamous "Velociraptor" 10k series......those things were da bomb back in the day, hehehe :)
Always wondered if 10TB plus HDDs with say a 32GB SSD module on the controller and better caching algorithms like the old SSHDs could make a comeback. Optane but all integrated and not like the H10/H20 crappy SSDs.

Since NVMe, we have gone completely SSD for our PCs and laptops. The only place we use HDDs is in our NAS.

It's interesting to see that I've been doing what most people have been doing. My main rig is 2 x NVMe only. Gaming rig is SSD only.
I only use HDD for the NAS and for offline backups (HDD docks work great for this purpose), due to the price per TB.

The only machines that still have any spinners are my old ones and a win98 P2 gaming that I was trying to convert to SSD after the HDD failed but haven't been able to get it to work and gave up for lack of time. My newest machines have a pair of NVME + several SSDs but now that Samsung has come out with 4TB NVME I wish to replace the 2TBs with 4s. Or wait will they ever come out with 8TB?

-P2 ex workstation /game machine All 7200RPM HDD. Currently dead
-P4 workstation 10,000RPM raptor (with an SSD clone waiting for failure) plus 3 7200RPM media HDD
-MacPro workstation - cloned and swapped system HDD for SSD and one media drive so far
-I7 (now xeon) Titan workstation - All SSDs since around 2016
-Threadrippers - NVMEs plus several SSDs
-Laptops - NVMEs plus SSD

I wish I had gotten larger SSD system drives originally when I ordered my systems since it would have saved me having to use disk wizard to adjust partition later

Last edited:
I've kept my 1tb spinner around just because it's there and that's where my all my random-ass downloads are redirected

Back