Anyone have any experience with Calix GigaCenter?

Mopower

Gawd
My company is going to start doing fiber to the home and we are looking at either the Calix GigaCenter all in one solution or going with the traditional outdoor ONT's. Anyone have any experience with the GigaCenters? Just looking for feedback on the wireless mainly. Right now we have been giving customers DSL modems and a separate wireless router.

As a customer, I just want a traditional ONT with a ethernet handoff. Let me plug the rest in.

I can't give any input from the carrier side.

As a customer, I just want a traditional ONT with a ethernet handoff. Let me plug the rest in.

I can't give any input from the carrier side.

I would agree but I spend a lot of time driving to customers houses to reboot their router or logging into it to find the password they forgot. It would be nice to do it all from the office.

I work at an ISP who uses exclusively Calix gear for FTTH, we have a demo GigaCenter but haven't updated our E7 chassis to be able to test it out yet. I assume it would be similar to a 836GE. When we had a 836GE demo we didn't think the customer interface and such would be useful to most of our customers, they only care if their wifi works to get on facebook.

The real perk of the GigaCenter would be wireless IPTV, we are currently working on getting our STBs on wireless. The largest pain of installs is running ethernet everywhere in archaic homes, or coax adapters. Most of our customers just have an indoor ONT and a wireless router with nothing hardwired in. My coworker is convinced 100% wireless is the future for most consumers.

As randyc said, most power users just want a handoff without any restrictions to the connection, and the new ONTs do have a bridge mode which works nicely.

I would agree but I spend a lot of time driving to customers houses to reboot their router or logging into it to find the password they forgot. It would be nice to do it all from the office.

This would also be awesome.

The 844g looks interesting. The 802.11ac 4x4 wireless is nice. If the management interface of the 844g is anything line the rest of the calix line you can change every single option remotely, including bridge mode for the power users.

That being said, the bridge mode most likely still utilizes the nat table. Having an alternative for business class service would be nice.

Back