Any suggestions to lower temp on a stock vega 56?

Dark12

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey folks
I have a reference Vega56 and the temps are getting a little hot during CSGO. I want to keep chill off before I prefer to get max fps with vsync for quicker response times.
The memory hits temps of almost 80C and it isn't even summer yet.
I have my memory set to 945mhz in wattman but it bounces between 500mhz and 800mhz, rarely ever hits 945mhz. I think because of high memory temp. I have done safemode DDU multiple times with different driver versions and haven't noticed any difference.
I have voltages at default. Normally I roll with -20% power limit, but leaving at 0% doesn't seem to change anything. The memory is Samsung if that matters.
Has anyone had any luck removing the shroud and putting heatsinks on the ram?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
You aren't going to be putting heatsinks on the memory due to the way it's arranged and its proximity to the core. The only way to improve temps on reference Vega cards is to swap out that crappy stock cooler for aftermarket cooling, be it air or water.

You aren't going to be putting heatsinks on the memory due to the way it's arranged and its proximity to the core. The only way to improve temps on reference Vega cards is to swap out that crappy stock cooler for aftermarket cooling, be it air or water.
That's a bummer.
Instead of throwing more money at this card, I might just sell it and get a GTX 2060.
Thank you for that information.

Yeah it's unfortunate for anyone who doesn't want to spend any more than they have to on a card to get acceptable thermal performance out of the box, but that's just how the reference Vega cards are. They are really only good for people that want to save a bit on the GPU so that they can slap a waterblock on it instead. For air cooling, custom cards like the Sapphire Nitro, Asus Strix, or any other beefy open-air cooler is a must if you plan on being able to use them anywhere near their potential.

Try undervolting it. Put the power limit up and then drop the core voltage in Wattman. Should get it to the point where it doesn't throttle as much and you have a more consistent experience.

I have Radeon VII bought from amd.com

I had lapped stock cooler and applied thermal paste. Added 120mm fan to back slots where card sit's pullung hot air out of case.

After all mods. Radeon VII runs 1.032vcore / 1930-1980 Core / 1150 memory max hotspot 95c max core 60-65, fans at 65% - 70%

My advice lap stock cooler and apply fresh thermal paste and i think you be good to go.

Yeah it's unfortunate for anyone who doesn't want to spend any more than they have to on a card to get acceptable thermal performance out of the box, but that's just how the reference Vega cards are. They are really only good for people that want to save a bit on the GPU so that they can slap a waterblock on it instead. For air cooling, custom cards like the Sapphire Nitro, Asus Strix, or any other beefy open-air cooler is a must if you plan on being able to use them anywhere near their potential.
Very sad indeed.

Try undervolting it. Put the power limit up and then drop the core voltage in Wattman. Should get it to the point where it doesn't throttle as much and you have a more consistent experience.
I will try that ty!

I have Radeon VII bought from amd.com

I had lapped stock cooler and applied thermal paste. Added 120mm fan to back slots where card sit's pullung hot air out of case.

After all mods. Radeon VII runs 1.032vcore / 1930-1980 Core / 1150 memory max hotspot 95c max core 60-65, fans at 65% - 70%

My advice lap stock cooler and apply fresh thermal paste and i think you be good to go.
I will do exactly that. I am seeing posts that some people had good luck replacing thermal pads on their vegas. Does anyone know what thickness I would need? I am seeing 1mm and 1.5mm.
I will also try to find some good thermal paste. Currently I only have a bunch of MX-2 sitting around.

This seems worth a shot!

I bought MX-4 2019 edtion, why theu call it that i have no clue.

Heres pictures of mine heatstink lapped and thermal paste on gpu die.

Pictures enjoy!

First picture. Clean gpu die

20190308_043515_zpstcp9zqb0.jpg

Heres Thermal paste on gpu die, now i did use quiet bit fill in spots on gpu die/ memory

20190314_041715_zpsvfqqtetu.jpg

HSF lapped

20190314_052131_zpssciszwsp.jpg

I have Radeon VII...

I'd like to point out that OP's situation is really not comparable to yours. The cooler he's working with (blower vs your triple fan open air) does not have the same cooling capability to begin with. I have no doubt there will be some slight improvement, but I don't believe it'll be good to go just from a lapping and re-pasting. The cooler is just inadequate to begin with.

I'd like to point out that OP's situation is really not comparable to yours. The cooler he's working with (blower vs your triple fan open air) does not have the same cooling capability to begin with. I have no doubt there will be some slight improvement, but I don't believe it'll be good to go just from a lapping and re-pasting. The cooler is just inadequate to begin with.

I agree 100%, the stock coolers blow donkey, i just suggested it, because if doing them few things, drop in temp, better chance of not throttling and better gaming and smother.

If it works for me, it might work for someone as well. I never said it would be like watercooling lol

Back