Any spartan well-made cases out there?

SirLouen

n00b
I've been with my Antec P183 for more than 10 years and I gotta say is more than I ever needed. It cost me $120 back in the day. It is a very spartan case, that had all the perfect & well-made cooling features and since I was going full air, I required something right to not hog the core components. For the current standards, it will probably never sell because it's very ugly.

I'm trying to figure out now a new build for a new PC to sit near this big case and I stumbled upon with Fractal Design North, so cool, so stylish, everyone I showed liked it. The fact? It's going to in a corner, under a table. Anyone will ever look at it, even me. The only thing I find great is the fact that the power-on button is on the top, so I don't have to crawl like a rat to boot it up, like I'm currently doing with the Antec. And the reality is that the PSU I'm looking, doesn't even fit well in the Fractal Design, unless I go under several restrictions (only having one 2.5 bay instead of the two available). The PSU has a length of 175 mm, more exactly: Dimensions without cable (L x W x H), (mm) 175 x 150 x 86

I was thinking of sacrificing such PSU I want for these two bays, but then I though: "What the heck? I don't really need all those windows, LEDs RGB and fancy staff, it's going to go punished, straight to the corner. Maybe if I had more space on my desktop I would put it on top like most stylish gentleman like, but with 4 screens, all over the place, there is no space even for a couple of papers and a glass of water.

I've been watching a couple of YT recommendations videos, but they all end with some fancy stuff, even for the most budget cases, but I feel they are missing on the most important bit: the well-made case designed for temperature performance.

This said:

Could anyone recommend me a spartan well-made case, without that fancy stuff like colorful chassis and RGB LEDs all over the place, side-window and the liking that will be a paradise for my air-cooling system?

For the record, a picture of the Antec P183, so you can get the idea I'm looking into, without having to Google it.
11-129-174-02.jpg

Fractal Pop air Atx black. The one with a solid panel.

Fractal Define 7 compact

Check out all the Fractal cases on Newegg if nothing else they have good pics of everything and many of Fractal’s cases have options with solid panels , no rgb etc.

Last edited:
Fractal Define 7 compact
It looks great but says compact, and I'm not sure how compact it is, I'm concerned that the PSU may not fit

EDIT: Fractal Define 7 Compact
  • 200 mm total (165 mm w/ HDD cage and front fan)
165mm for the PSU, and my PSU is 175, so not valid :(

Same happens with Pop Air
  • PSU max length: 170 mm
Maybe I will have to consider straight Define 7 or Pop Air XL.

Last edited:
Yeah it looks like the compact models are shorter front to back vs the regular versions or the Air XL.

What PSU are you getting? They have a lot of powerful compact PSU out there now. You don't need some supper 1500w PSU nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-4000D-Airflow-Tempered-Mid-Tower/dp/B08C7BGV3D
Has a window but since it's under the desk, you won't probably notice it.
I don't hate windows, the thing is that since is not visible and geneally windows make case a little expensive (not always but generally) this is why this was not a requirement.

Yeah it looks like the compact models are shorter front to back vs the regular versions or the Air XL.
All out of sudden I have discovered a gem, that is within my budget, and from the reviews I've seen it seems to be a specialized in terms of air flows: Fractal Design Torrent Compact

Curiously, is a compact version with a max of 210 mm for the PSU, which fits perfectly my selection. It is compact, but it feels at the same time more spacious than other compact alternatives

And it's not super expensive in the shop, $125 for the non-windowed version. I think it meets all of my requirements, and to some extent I find it pretty cool aspect-wise.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure if it's as efficient as the older brother, the non-Compact one from all the reviews I've read talk about the bigger brother.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I need to ask a question because I'm a little bit lost.

Which extra fans would you recommend installing? By default, it comes with 6 and 7 for the regular ATX version so I've marked all the other optional fans that could fit (In fact I'm n ot sure if number 5 will fit because of the bottom one from the front cover will collide with it)

From my opinion, I think that 1, 2 and 3 would be ideal (despite I'm not sure if 3 also collides, just to buy a pack of some 120mm fans). From the videos I've seen, it's common to generate a pressure from bottom to top and from front to back, but also, it's common to set some extractors in the back (1) and in the top (which doesn't seem to offer that option)

My current case has one extractor on the top and the back, two in the front but in the bottom (which is the most logical, because the hot air goes from bottom to top) and no fans in the bottom which are redudant, when you actually have two in the front-bottom. Antec P183 was a truly wise design :p

But since this only has 6 and 7, I would rather choose at least 1 and 4 minimum (to generate some pressure from the bottom air to the top since there are no front-bottom fans) and at least 1 extractor in the back since there are no extractors in the top.

Opinions?

1699926392267.png

What PSU are you getting? They have a lot of powerful compact PSU out there now. You don't need some supper 1500w PSU nowadays.
In fact it doesn't have much power, just 750W. It's the be quiet! Dark Power 13. I got it on an offer and I'm amazed with it despite is slightly long for some reason (not sure if this is what it takes to get to 80 PLUS Titanium)

Silverstone recently released a new version of their fara r1 case:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/computer-chassis/FARAR1V2/

Don't worry about the glass side panel; there's also a version with metal one available.

There's also a "pro" version coming up, with fans included. However, since silverstone is being rather silent on whether they are pwm ones or not, I'd skip that version and bring one's own fans.

Last edited:
I've had tons of soap box moments on cases before:
https://hardforum.com/threads/asus-hidden-cable-alliance.2030653/#post-1045739449

But, as much as I hate the side panel fad, it's frankly just time to get with the times. Having a glass side panel just kind of comes with the neighborhood of actually well built cases these days, imo. It's a contemporary trend. Some Mini ITX cases might come without it, but at some point you have to question whether you're paying more for it in some way to not have a glass panel, due to economics of scale. In fact, I would say that is the case. If you look, basically all/most (exceptions like the Versa aside) of the cheapest cases in general have a glass side panel:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#sort=price&xcx=0
If they don't have a glass one, they have acrylic. It just is what it is.

I evaluate what the cooling capacity, HDD capacity, etc. Is of the case, irrespective of whether it contains a glass panel or not, vs the price. Because I also don't give a shit, I've never really cared about how my systems looked. If it ends up RGB, it's just because that's how it ended up due to the prices. My current build is(/was) in a Lian Li that was 60$ open box, normally was twice that at the time. It came with RGB fans and a glass panel. I didn't care. Because even if it doesn't have a glass panel, at most you might get one fan mount there. That's it. It's kind of useless. I'm starting to wonder if that glass panel costs less to manufacture than the metal...

I'm about to transfer it to a C700, which I'm sure you can see the build thread for on here. I got it mostly built before I had to come in to work. I'll continue when I get home, but I think it may be the one for me. The TL;DR is that I urge you to ignore those factors, ask yourself what you actually need in a case, and then choose the cheapest one that fulfills those obligations. That's all. If it has glass or acrylic, don't just think that there has to necessarily be a cheaper one that doesn't...

I evaluate what the cooling capacity, HDD capacity, etc. Is of the case, irrespective of whether it contains a glass panel or not, vs the price. Because I also don't give a shit, I've never really cared about how my systems looked. If it ends up RGB, it's just because that's how it ended up due to the prices. My current build is(/was) in a Lian Li that was 60$ open box, normally was twice that at the time. It came with RGB fans and a glass panel. I didn't care.
Yeah, I noted the exact same appreciation, found many glass cases under the price of the solid ones.

There is a whole submarket on looks that puts on the PC an extra layer of costs. I was about to go with the Fractal Design North just because of looks, but it appears that it falls into a ton of space issues.

I have ended doing such, checking the sizes. By the way, the only thing I'm loving about Fractal Design is how well-made documentation is, specifying everything with a great level of detail, contrarily to Lian Li that are pretty disrespectful partially ignoring this regard (not as detailed)

I'm about to transfer it to a C700, which I'm sure you can see the build thread for on here. I got it mostly built before I had to come in to work. I'll continue when I get home, but I think it may be the one for me. The TL;DR is that I urge you to ignore those factors, ask yourself what you actually need in a case, and then choose the cheapest one that fulfills those obligations. That's all.
Aorus C700? Or Thermaltake CTE C700?

1699963923537.png

The latter. It's very spacious and I'm quite liking it in terms of building in it. It's $143, contains 7 slots for 3.5" HDDs (which is important since I'm a data hoarder), all of them in the back so they don't interfere with air flow, and plenty of width so my AIO 4090 doesn't have to bend its tubes much.

Realistically speaking, you're going to be running a budget GPU and (apparently) a 7800X3D. You could pretty much do fine in anything, cooling wise. The 7800X3D is a <90-100W CPU. You just shove a Thermalright Peerless Assassin on it and then utterly ignore it unless you're shoving a towel inside of the case with it.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NY...00a-3-fan-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec300ga_dbk02
You could go pick this up for $45 and I can almost guarantee you that you're not going to run into any issues unless you have some odd capacity requirements like I did.

For instance:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r8vmxH

This is an example "cheapassing it" AM5 spec that's 100% viable and won't have any issues. It might need to add a couple of fans on top or something to properly vent the 4080, but you're not operating a 4080 anyway and doubtless have extra leftover fans lying around like I do. I carry mine over from build to build.

This is an example "cheapassing it" AM5 spec that's 100% viable and won't have any issues. It might need to add a couple of fans on top or something to properly vent the 4080, but you're not operating a 4080 anyway and doubtless have extra leftover fans lying around like I do. I carry mine over from build to build.
Looks very affordable the Phanteks Eclipse G300A

Personally, I like to buy very long-lasting cases, P183 has been around for more than 10 years and 5 house moving under her belt without a scratch.

Apart from good space, which appears to be appropriate, I appreciate how easy it is to clean also not sure about the G300A, seems adequate overall. I have not seen many comparisons including this case though.

Looks very affordable the Phanteks Eclipse G300A

Personally, I like to buy very long-lasting cases, P183 has been around for more than 10 years and 5 house moving under her belt without a scratch.

Apart from good space, which appears to be appropriate, I appreciate how easy it is to clean also not sure about the G300A, seems adequate overall. I have not seen many comparisons including this case though.

I was just using that case as an example of what would be sufficient for your build cooling wise. Generally speaking, there are about a billion of these types of cases out on the market right now. They all share this same general layout. The cheapest of which is probably the Montech X1, which I'm running as a Stable Diffusion machine (and already has a fan bearing that's going bad... it works if I smack it enough though). I would say that the CTE 700 is hopefully going to be my endgame case, but I've been wrong about that... a lot. The Thermaltake Core X9 sitting in the back, the Corsair Air 240, the Haf XB EVO... etc... I have a a lot of cases sitting in the back at this point. To be fair, I generally tailored them to what I was working with at the time. I didn't try to think about all of the possible things I would work with in the future (which is close to impossible), since generally cases aren't a huge part of the cost of a build anyway.

That's why if you're on a budget, might as well get a cheap case. Its job is to mainly hold shit, and then fans to move the... uh let's stop the analogy here. Anyway you can always replace it later without too much cost if needed, and then relegated it to housing a second machine. I'd say the main mistake would be if the case was lacking the HDD bay count you needed more than anything, if you use those. You can always tape them to the floor or something, but people with jobs don't need to do that. College students do (I know because I did in college). Otherwise... doesn't really matter much. Many cases these days work just fine from an airflow standpoint. Good fans can get expensive if they don't come with them though.

There's also the 4090, which is stupidly wide and long, but at that price point people don't give a shit about how much a new case costs to house it (lol I'm one of them).

I was just using that case as an example of what would be sufficient for your build cooling wise. Generally speaking, there are about a billion of these types of cases out on the market right now. They all share this same general layout. The cheapest of which is probably the Montech X1, which I'm running as a Stable Diffusion machine (and already has a fan bearing that's going bad... it works if I smack it enough though). I would say that the CTE 700 is hopefully going to be my endgame case, but I've been wrong about that... a lot. The Thermaltake Core X9 sitting in the back, the Corsair Air 240, the Haf XB EVO... etc... I have a a lot of cases sitting in the back at this point. To be fair, I generally tailored them to what I was working with at the time. I didn't try to think about all of the possible things I would work with in the future (which is close to impossible), since generally cases aren't a huge part of the cost of a build anyway.

That's why if you're on a budget, might as well get a cheap case. Its job is to mainly hold shit, and then fans to move the... uh let's stop the analogy here. Anyway you can always replace it later without too much cost if needed, and then relegated it to housing a second machine. I'd say the main mistake would be if the case was lacking the HDD bay count you needed more than anything, if you use those. You can always tape them to the floor or something, but people with jobs don't need to do that. College students do (I know because I did in college). Otherwise... doesn't really matter much. Many cases these days work just fine from an airflow standpoint. Good fans can get expensive if they don't come with them though.

There's also the 4090, which is stupidly wide and long, but at that price point people don't give a shit about how much a new case costs to house it (lol I'm one of them).

The literal floor? What if they have carpet? That's not a smart way to mount a hard drive.

The literal floor? What if they have carpet? That's not a smart way to mount a hard drive.

The bottom of the case, on the inside. Not the literal floor. Although I'd be curious as to how long an HDD could work like that. You could also try the side panel or wall, but that's a bit risky. Fine for SSDs though. Again, only a "college student budget" strategy thing, though. In no way am I suggesting they do this. Kind of the opposite. I used it with my... whatever I had back then, though. Antec something or other? I'm not sure, it was a barebones piece of crap lol. But it worked.

Edit: Might have been this: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811129042

At that point, the jobless college student should just get a Chromebook.

At that point, the jobless college student should just get a Chromebook.

Aside from Chromebooks not existing back then, they certainly wouldn't have a 5850HD and an i5 750 and be able to play Crysis lol. Though said college student (who was not quite jobless) wouldn't have been able to afford that without winning a drawing...

Anyway moral of the story is the case is just a box that holds shit and moves air, that's all you really need it to do. That build was very, very minmaxed for performance per dollar lol.

Aside from Chromebooks not existing back then, they certainly wouldn't have a 5850HD and an i5 750 and be able to play Crysis lol. Though said college student (who was not quite jobless) wouldn't have been able to afford that without winning a drawing...
These guys cannot understand what means gaming through College? I might be a little bit older than you, but I went through UT2003 which wouldn't either do it with a Chromebook-like PC
I can't even remeber which card I have back then and I did not even tape for the spare HDD, all dropped in the floor of the case straight. I've perma-had my towers in the floor. I never saw the point of losing desktop space for the tower and there, they never move a bit specially because they end becoming so heavy. Mine weights like 20kg (44 lbs) ATM

By the way, for convenience, I've noticed that Phanteks Eclipse G300A only has 1 USB port on the top. I need at least 2, and I would love to have at least 1 x USB 3.1, but preferably I would love o have 4 USB-A ports, like Fractal Define 7 and not many offer a good set of USB right on the top. Not even most have like my P183, some 5,25 front bays, to install a USB hub (although I like a ton less this option, because after all is spending more money for the sake of it.

These guys cannot understand what means gaming through College? I might be a little bit older than you, but I went through UT2003 which wouldn't either do it with a Chromebook-like PC
I can't even remeber which card I have back then and I did not even tape for the spare HDD, all dropped in the floor of the case straight. I've perma-had my towers in the floor. I never saw the point of losing desktop space for the tower and there, they never move a bit specially because they end becoming so heavy. Mine weights like 20kg (44 lbs) ATM

By the way, for convenience, I've noticed that Phanteks Eclipse G300A only has 1 USB port on the top. I need at least 2, and I would love to have at least 1 x USB 3.1, but preferably I would love o have 4 USB-A ports, like Fractal Define 7 and not many offer a good set of USB right on the top. Not even most have like my P183, some 5,25 front bays, to install a USB hub (although I like a ton less this option, because after all is spending more money for the sake of it.

The point is that your case would have accumulated much less dust over time if you hadn't placed your tower on the floor. I have a friend with the same setup as mine except he keeps his on the floor and his PC catches 4 times as much dust as mine does because of it.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
The point is that your case would have accumulated much less dust over time if you hadn't placed your tower on the floor. I have a friend with the same setup as mine except he keeps his on the floor and his PC catches 4 times as much dust as mine does because of it.
That ain't no shit. Mine gets dusty, but holy hell when my system was on the floor it was as bad as the catch in the clothes dryer.

Abee cases have the best build quality out of any cases available.

One, I'm not sure if this is an "English is not the native language" thing, but I never actually said I put anything on the actual floor. I said I put the HDD on the floor of the case... but the amount of dust depends on whether it's carpet or not and a lot of other factors. I've had cases on the floor that did fine, too...

Two, yes, my computer probably did rest on the floor. When you're in an engineering school, you'll be damn lucky if your dorm desk can accommodate a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and then all of the notebooks and thick-ass engineering textbooks you need to put on it. A case sure as heck isn't going on there. You just have to deal with the dust.

I haven't used this case in any builds yet but I like it alot for it's storage capacity, cooling possibilities and simplicity.

https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-02CE-000H9
Kinda looks like a slightly upgraded version of the Montech X1 (might only be available in Microcenter, haven't really seen it elsewhere). I wonder how reliable the fans are in it. My Montech X1 is already having a bearing go out, and it's only been a few months at most.

One, I'm not sure if this is an "English is not the native language" thing, but I never actually said I put anything on the actual floor. I said I put the HDD on the floor of the case... but the amount of dust depends on whether it's carpet or not and a lot of other factors. I've had cases on the floor that did fine, too...

Two, yes, my computer probably did rest on the floor. When you're in an engineering school, you'll be damn lucky if your dorm desk can accommodate a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and then all of the notebooks and thick-ass engineering textbooks you need to put on it. A case sure as heck isn't going on there. You just have to deal with the dust.

Kinda looks like a slightly upgraded version of the Montech X1 (might only be available in Microcenter, haven't really seen it elsewhere). I wonder how reliable the fans are in it. My Montech X1 is already having a bearing go out, and it's only been a few months at most.

I know you never said that you put anything on the actual floor. Why did you bring this up? Was there was a point you were trying to make by bringing that up again?

The bottom of the case, on the inside. Not the literal floor. Although I'd be curious as to how long an HDD could work like that. You could also try the side panel or wall, but that's a bit risky. Fine for SSDs though. Again, only a "college student budget" strategy thing, though. In no way am I suggesting they do this. Kind of the opposite. I used it with my... whatever I had back then, though. Antec something or other? I'm not sure, it was a barebones piece of crap lol. But it worked.

Edit: Might have been this: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811129042
I had a pair of hard drives just sitting on the floor of the case. My old Air 540 actually had hot swap brackets in this same place, but the Air 740 didn't have that.
I just put the drives into some Corsair plastic rails and they just sat loose on the floor of the case.
IMG_0729.JPEG

Yeah, I noted the exact same appreciation, found many glass cases under the price of the solid ones.

There is a whole submarket on looks that puts on the PC an extra layer of costs. I was about to go with the Fractal Design North just because of looks, but it appears that it falls into a ton of space issues.

I have ended doing such, checking the sizes. By the way, the only thing I'm loving about Fractal Design is how well-made documentation is, specifying everything with a great level of detail, contrarily to Lian Li that are pretty disrespectful partially ignoring this regard (not as detailed)

View attachment 613391
That just might be the most grotesque case I have ever seen.

I know you never said that you put anything on the actual floor. Why did you bring this up? Was there was a point you were trying to make by bringing that up again?

You're... kind of the one that turned it into a subthread by quoting me to begin with, and my post is only a few posts down from where you did that. Not sure why you're acting like it's ancient history or something that I'm digging up. If you just want to shelve this discussion (which is a good choice, it's kind of off topic), that's fine.

That just might be the most grotesque case I have ever seen.

We can agree on that.

It also debuted at $600 and somehow only has 4 3.5" bays in all of that useless mass. I guess it's a showmanship case for all of the people that like Alienware style aesthetics, and probably an absolutely useless case in terms of functionality. As in, kind of the antithesis of everything that the OP wants.

1700038413077.png

Have to admit that the front I/O is pretty schnazzy though. Lots of USB ports.

Back on topic, that's kind of hard to filter for, unfortunately. At the least, PCPartpicker doesn't have the option to do that. One other option is that you could invest in a USB hub. That would just go right on your desk and you don't need to worry about the case. But it's extra money for a decent one, and even the decent ones have problems occasionally. One of my older Ultrawide monitors (which I still have, just in another room) has a nice powered USB hub right on the back of it. 4 slots, and they never really gave me any fuss, even when I had external HDDs hooked up to them.

I would think that even the most basic super speed USB ports would be sort of superfluous for the average things you're plugging into a USB hub, so it should be fine, either way.

Last edited:
You're... kind of the one that turned it into a subthread by quoting me to begin with, and my post is only a few posts down from where you did that. Not sure why you're acting like it's ancient history or something that I'm digging up. If you just want to shelve this discussion (which is a good choice, it's kind of off topic), that's fine.

We can agree on that.

It also debuted at $600 and somehow only has 4 3.5" bays in all of that useless mass. I guess it's a showmanship case for all of the people that like Alienware style aesthetics, and probably an absolutely useless case in terms of functionality. As in, kind of the antithesis of everything that the OP wants.

View attachment 613575
Have to admit that the front I/O is pretty schnazzy though. Lots of USB ports.

Back on topic, that's kind of hard to filter for, unfortunately. At the least, PCPartpicker doesn't have the option to do that. One other option is that you could invest in a USB hub. That would just go right on your desk and you don't need to worry about the case. But it's extra money for a decent one, and even the decent ones have problems occasionally. One of my older Ultrawide monitors (which I still have, just in another room) has a nice powered USB hub right on the back of it. 4 slots, and they never really gave me any fuss, even when I had external HDDs hooked up to them.

I would think that even the most basic super speed USB ports would be sort of superfluous for the average things you're plugging into a USB hub, so it should be fine, either way.

I know that, but, what does that have to do with my question and why haven't you answered my question yet? It's okay if you don't want to answer. I have a feeling I know why you don't want to.

I know that, but, what does that have to do with my question and why haven't you answered my question yet? It's okay if you don't want to answer. I have a feeling I know why you don't want to.

I'm not sure what you're asking. You mean... why did I originally bring up the whole college thing?

You can always tape them to the floor or something, but people with jobs don't need to do that. College students do (I know because I did in college). Otherwise... doesn't really matter much.

This was like two short sentences in a post with about 3 paragraphs. All I was trying to say is that the important thing is to not be constrained, storage expansion wise, by whatever case you choose. Because the only option, if it's insufficient, is to put HDDs on the floor of the case... and only college students should have to do that, not people that can afford to just get cases with better storage options to begin with. That's it. Although in hindsight that's a bit discriminatory financially I guess.

I'm not sure what you're asking. You mean... why did I originally bring up the whole college thing?

This was like two short sentences in a post with about 3 paragraphs. All I was trying to say is that the important thing is to not be constrained, storage expansion wise, by whatever case you choose. Because the only option, if it's insufficient, is to put HDDs on the floor of the case... and only college students should have to do that, not people that can afford to just get cases with better storage options to begin with. That's it. Although in hindsight that's a bit discriminatory financially I guess.

Reread post #28 more carefully, but this time see if you can spot my two sentences that end with a question mark. It shouldn't be too hard for you as I only wrote three sentences.

Reread post #28 more carefully, but this time see if you can spot my two sentences that end with a question mark. It shouldn't be too hard for you as I only wrote three sentences.

Then the response I gave you the first time I responded should suffice. That is to say, I was responding to respond because I thought related to a subthread that you started off of a post that I made. Nothing more or less. If my perception was wrong, then fine.

Your perception being wrong is where the "more" came in. Not "nothing more".

I have no idea what you're even getting at, at this point. You could just try not being cryptic and explicitly telling me what part of it is the problem, since I'm clearly confused. Communication is a skill, being cryptic is... technically a skill, but not a useful one. We've wasted several posts of back and forth about this at this point, which is likely far more disruptive than whatever you're probably referring to was.

I too was one of those unwashed heathens that leaves his HDD on the bottom of the case. I left the plastic frame that holds it in the bracket on it and it sat on a thin neoprene pad. This was in a HAF912 I modified to accomodate longer GPU's.

Last week I got a 4000D Airflow so my old spinner now lives in a proper bracket again.

+1 on the 4000D recommendation. Good cable management a lot of space and airflow and a nice clean look inside. If you wanna roll the dice and take a chance on amazon warehouse you can save $20. Mine was near flawless. It was missing the instruction pamphlet but 100% complete otherwise

Back