Any reason to get a fury x over a 980 ti for 1440p?

Plus there are now Custom oc'd 980 tis that run as much as 30% faster ( MSI Lightning, ASUS ROG, EVGA CLASSIFIED) than reference while being cooler and quieter. Fury X can't touch these. From Hardocp last week: the overclock then increased the performance edge of the MSI 980ti SEA HAWK compared to the reference 980 Ti, providing 23-37% faster gameplay across the six games we use.

Last edited:
Nobody has ever recommended Fury X over a 980ti, there are more fanboys on this forum than a youtube android vs iphone video comment section. Don't listen to them. AMD has some good cards (usually better choices) at the 390/380x etc pricepoints, but the Fury X was a disaster for them considering the price.
If you can find people on this forum who think the FX 8350 is better than the i5 , you can surely find people that will recommend you a Fury X.

But with all that said, if you absolutely hate Nvidia and want to buy a fury X, it is not a very bad option, it is a very close competitor.
In contrary if you absolutely hate Intel and are buying a FX 8350 over a skylake chip, that is a very bad option and the former does not even intend to compete with the latter.

Last edited:
Nobody has ever recommended Fury X over a 980ti, there are more fanboys on this forum than a youtube android vs iphone video comment section. Don't listen to them. AMD has some good cards (usually better choices) at the 390/380x etc pricepoints, but the Fury X was a disaster for them considering the price.
If you can find people on this forum who think the FX 8350 is better than the i5 , you can surely find people that will recommend you a Fury X.

But with all that said, if you absolutely hate Nvidia and want to buy a fury X, it is not a very bad option, it is a very close competitor.
In contrary if you absolutely hate Intel and are buying a FX 8350 over a skylake chip, that is a very bad option and the former does not even intend to compete with the latter.

Yeah, nothing really wrong with Fury X, it's close to 980 ti, but just not as good.

But just not as good is relative and depends what your looking for. The furyX is close enough to be a great card. It just doesn't over clock as well but that doesn't mean its a bad purchase. I know plenty who don't OC after the initial burning in period. Sure they will OC it to see where it can go but eventually they all just leave it at stock.

If your looking for a top end, small form factor, quiet, cool and a fast card that also has the best compute capabilities, one can't go wrong with the Fury X. It will play every game just like the Ti will and most probably will be better over all in DX12 games.

Also Radeon cards have a history of creeping up on Nvidia cards over time so expect the FuryX to eventually overcome the 980Ti.

People need to keep in mind that although as of right now the Ti has an advantage in FPS, most people wouldn't notice the difference between the 2 in gaming exp.

Last edited:
People need to keep in mind that although as of right now the Ti has an advantage in FPS, most people wouldn't notice the difference between the 2 in gaming exp.
Depends on the game. Some of them are the difference between 40fps on a Fury X vs 60fps on a 980 Ti.

The same can be said of Nvidia. What does an Nvidia user do when he is in this position in a game where they're not as fast. He just lowers a setting that has no visual impact or playing exp impact on the game. The game is still playable and still looks gorgeous and the player still has as much fun playing the game. These situations happen on both sides and with these 2 cards the difference isn't a game changer 95 % of the time and when it is, just lower a setting that has no impact on your gaming exp. People tend to way over hype this stuff in the fanboy wars but its really not substantial like some like to make it out to be.

Last edited:
Nvidia gpu's rely on software whilst amd on hardware

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Okay, when DRIVER OPTIMIZATIONS result in a 15-20% increase in performance WITH THE SAME CARD, that's not "relying on hardware".

Come back when you know what you're talking about.

Bottom line is I'm 100% sure almost any hardcore Nvidia user here would be happy with a furyx to play todays games if it had an Nvidia Logo on it.:D

Bottom line is I'm 100% sure almost any hardcore Nvidia user here would be happy with a furyx to play todays games if it had an Nvidia Logo on it.:D

No. They'd be happy if the FuryX has 980Ti's performance ;)

No. They'd be happy if the FuryX has 980Ti's performance ;)
If Fury X matched the 980 Ti stock/overclocked and had an optional air-cooler, I'd probably own one. Actually, I would definitely own one.
Apparently AMD wants to fill their $600+ performance tiers with niche products... No bueno. Next time they should focus less on physical size and more on raw performance.

Got both my fury X's for $550 so IDGAF , 4k free sync on 49 inches of glory

I know one reason, video playback quality.
I watch tv series and movies on my computer, and nvidia offers no enhancements for 2d video playback. While AMD has great video improvement features. The same video that looks blocky and full of compression artifacts on my 980TI looked flawless on the 290x before. I didn't even know how bad quality the compression was until I got my 980ti.

What? Can you elaborate? Video playback should be identical on both cards on the same display, it is simply using a codec to decode compressed video (e.g. h264, x264). If you are talking about adding post-processing effects like sharpen, I don't know why you would want to do that but then again I am someone that wants 100% accuracy to the original source.

You can't remove macroblocking present in the source video file with post-processing effects.

What? Can you elaborate? Video playback should be identical on both cards on the same display, it is simply using a codec to decode compressed video (e.g. h264, x264). If you are talking about adding post-processing effects like sharpen, I don't know why you would want to do that but then again I am someone that wants 100% accuracy to the original source.

You can't remove macroblocking present in the source video file with post-processing effects.

He refers to AMDs smooth video and other video enhancements. I cant speak to Nvidias role in this but I guess that is what he is referring to, not h.264 and the like.

I kinda want to mess around with the Gigabyte Fury... I wish it was on sale like the other non DVI Fury cards but, Korean monitor heh.

He refers to AMDs smooth video and other video enhancements. I cant speak to Nvidias role in this but I guess that is what he is referring to, not h.264 and the like.

For smooth video, SVP (Smooth Video Project) is first class, I havent seen anything better.
I use it for all my video playback.
http://www.svp-team.com/

To get the very best from it, when playing back the video double click on the taskbar icon.
Change artifacts masking to strongest.
Do the same for each different resolution video, it changes the playback profile used based on resolution.
It needs a powerful CPU for Full HD material.

Metro Media Player Pro on the Windows Store allows for FreeSync video playback. AMD has all the features from SVP built into their drivers.

Metro Media Player Pro on the Windows Store allows for FreeSync video playback. AMD has all the features from SVP built into their drivers.

The drivers have high quality interpolation and raise the video framerate?

Why would you though when 980ti is just over $600?
And thats without checking the in basket prices.
Not considering rebates either.

I am sorry but the difference between the 2 performance wise isn't huge enough to declare a single winner, as in clear in every aspect everytime. Granted the 980TI is the stronger card in most cases but the difference isn't huge enough to matter. To give a clear example: 980TI against the 290X. Then yes if the prices were closer then the 980TI is the clear winner and should be the sole advice given. Here I say pick which ever suits your needs. If you need HDMI2.0 then the 980TI is the clear choice. If room in your case happens to be an issue then the FuryX would be the wiser choice. Simply put both will serve the user well.

Now in keeping with the OPs original statement: the 980TI seems to be the better card for 1440p in general. But as I stated above, either will prove ample in performance that getting either will not be a let down. Always wondered why the 980TI owner cared what the FuryX guy was getting and Vice-versa.

I am sorry but the difference between the 2 performance wise isn't huge enough to declare a single winner, as in clear in every aspect everytime. Granted the 980TI is the stronger card in most cases but the difference isn't huge enough to matter. To give a clear example: 980TI against the 290X. Then yes if the prices were closer then the 980TI is the clear winner and should be the sole advice given. Here I say pick which ever suits your needs. If you need HDMI2.0 then the 980TI is the clear choice. If room in your case happens to be an issue then the FuryX would be the wiser choice. Simply put both will serve the user well.

Now in keeping with the OPs original statement: the 980TI seems to be the better card for 1440p in general. But as I stated above, either will prove ample in performance that getting either will not be a let down. Always wondered why the 980TI owner cared what the FuryX guy was getting and Vice-versa.

For most on this forum, the difference is clear.
The 980ti is faster to start with and then overclocks like a beast, whereas the Fury X doesnt.
And as you pointed out, HDMI 2.0 (even from DVI) is a major bonus and necessity for many.

If you get a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter that 'should' be available in a few months, you add another 5 to 10% to the price and add a little lag as well.

Are you sure AMD drivers have frame interpolation? It might be frame smoothing, in which case the quality is not even close to true 60/120 FPS frame interpolation.

I'm pretty sure there's no chance for AMD driver-based video enhancements to beat SVP and madVR/MPDN's shader-based sharpening/doubling.

nVidia falls short here big time, with a bug in their OpenCL 1.2 driver that they still haven't bothered fixing.

Back