Any reason I shouldn't get an Axim X30?

eighteen_psi

[H]ard|Gawd
Well my mom seems to love my Palm T2 (as do I) and my dad has said that if I want, he'll give me the $250 I paid for it towards something else and give it to her for their aniversary....and while I don't strictly need anything more....

I was looking at the X30...seems like a powerhouse and I can deck one out and still have it for under $400.

How's battery life on em with WiFi going? What about the sound quality playing MP3s? I'd really like to use it as an mp3 player but have a bit of a gripe with the thin sound from the apparently super-weak headphone jack on my T2.

Alternatively he might buy her a T3....which is cool but she has no use for it. She likes the style :p This is all the more comical because she also likes the M100 she uses now...that I gave her 2nd hand from me for her last birthday. Apparently the plan is to 3rd hand that to my sister or something :rolleyes:

I guess this sorta thing is my payback for moving back home hile I finish school :cool:

So yeah, is there any reason I shouldn't get one of these bad boys?

I have the X30 mid. Wifi use with the standard battery is < or = 3hrs depending on what you're doing. I have a lot of fun with mine and use it often.

PPC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Palm. There isn't anything a palm can do that a PPC can't do better.

The MP3's are fine when listening with headphones. I need to find a different program than what I'm currently using, only because the sound is doing weird things when it's routed through my car's audio hookup. :confused:
The X30 is really thin too. Thinner than what I expected. The only Axim that comes with a cradle standard is the X30HI, so if you go with an X30 mid, make sure you select the optional cradle if you want one.

I have an X30 high and I'm more than satisfied with it. Emulators are great on the 624MHz chip and syncing over wifi is great. Plus, I can use my T610 as a modem via bluetooth while I'm out, which is nice. It'd be groovy if it had a 640x480 screen, though.

The X30 is definitely a nice pda.

However, if you can spend some more money you might wanna look into the ipaq 4355. With the bang for your buck element left aside, I think it's the best pda currently on the market. It adds the integrated keyboard while keeping the overall size of the unit very compact. However, if you're on a tight budget, then the x30 is definitely the way to go.

The X30 would be stretching it a bit anyway...since I really have no time to spend on gaming or anything anyway. I decided to stick with my T2 for now since I would have needed to give it up by today and Dell couldn't get me an X30 for the better part of 3 weeks..can't be without it for that long.

Perhaps I'll go the PPC route for my next one.

The mother got a Tungsten E BTW. Loves it :p She couldn't really figure out how to be productive with the T2 closed so its probably a better option than a T anyway. I wish more products adopted something similar...I love how small the T is when closed, and frankly thats all you need most of the time. I liked the dell because it was still fairly small (though larger than the T by a bit). All the ones I saw with integrated keyboards are way too big for me (and with my huge hands/fingers I can't use them faster than tapping an onscreen one anyway).

eighteen_psi said:
The X30 would be stretching it a bit anyway...since I really have no time to spend on gaming or anything anyway. I decided to stick with my T2 for now since I would have needed to give it up by today and Dell couldn't get me an X30 for the better part of 3 weeks..can't be without it for that long.

Perhaps I'll go the PPC route for my next one.

The mother got a Tungsten E BTW. Loves it :p She couldn't really figure out how to be productive with the T2 closed so its probably a better option than a T anyway. I wish more products adopted something similar...I love how small the T is when closed, and frankly thats all you need most of the time. I liked the dell because it was still fairly small (though larger than the T by a bit). All the ones I saw with integrated keyboards are way too big for me (and with my huge hands/fingers I can't use them faster than tapping an onscreen one anyway).

What exactly does your mom use it for, or does she like it just because it's "cool"? lol, it's hard for me to imagine a parent making good use of a pda....or atleast my parents. :D

My parents, like myself, tend to fall more into the 'organized' category.
My mom specifically carried around this huge day timer thing and now just the TE...I was a late adopter myself (carried around my own day runner until middle of last year).

Its taking a little time but she's getting a ton of use out of it.

Back