Any news of 8x series?

tech crazy

Limp Gawd
Ive been wanting a new gpu and want to get either a 7950 or 7970 but Ive heard that the 8xxx series are coming out soon. Im wondering if anyone has heard what month it may be released?

The next round of new GPUs from AMD will likely be labeled 9000 series. 8000 series is just a rebadged OEM version of the 7000 series, similar to what the 300 series was for NVIDIA.

And no, we don't have too much info yet.

I have no source to back it up, but I believe we'll see a new series naming convention with Tahiti's successor.

unfortunately the HD8000 will most likely find its way to the consumer.. rebadge crap always does.

"First half of '13". Let's wait for Cebit in March, if no news probably Computex in June. It's always later than sooner but with AMD's results lately you'd think they put something out ASAP.

I currently have a asus 7850 and most probably would say I dont need to upgrade but I boinc (folding with gpu) so I would like to get something. Id like a asus or gigabyte 7950 for $200 but was hoping 8xxx would come out to test one out.

I currently have a asus 7850 and most probably would say I dont need to upgrade but I boinc (folding with gpu) so I would like to get something. Id like a asus or gigabyte 7950 for $200 but was hoping 8xxx would come out to test one out.

I can to some degree understand folding with hardware you already have. I say "to some degree" because it still raises your power bill and in the long term is not an efficient use of processing resources and seems to be used for "e-peen" only.

But why would you buy new hardware just for folding? WTF?

Is AMD not going to release anything new this year at all? I thought they were pushing out these re-hashes for the OEMs but still had intentions of bringing some top tier cards out of 9000 series.

I boinc because i can't afford a 4u system and i think its simple to use. I've done some experiments with the electric bill and there is only a $15 increase and that's after the fact of having the heater running. With amd and Intel looking for lower power consumption in the cpu its making sence to fold on the gpu. I want to help with science but also I'm a gamer. My pc is on 24/7 either way so why not boinc.

Is AMD not going to release anything new this year at all? I thought they were pushing out these re-hashes for the OEMs but still had intentions of bringing some top tier cards out of 9000 series.

There have been multiple rumors claiming multiple things, so as far as I'm concerned there is not currently any reliable information.

There will be no new architecture from either company this year, but just how they tweak their existing architectures remains to be seen. Remember, sometimes respins can improve things a good amount. The Fermi respin from 480 to 580 helped a lot. I would not expect that, but I would expect SOME performance increase.

Looks like Arctic Cooling is already stating their products work with next gen AMD.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga.html

Which I think should add credence to the speculation that "real" next gen Sea Islands (CI?), not the OEM rebrands, won't be called 8000's.

This is most likely Arctic doing the same thing the OEM's are and making it look like you are getting a next generation product. My $.02. :cool:

Back