Any ideas?

RushFan

Gawd
I have solved this already, but I wanted to know if any of you gurus know the "why?".

I have a 5900X and Asus Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi motherboard (rest of specs in sig).
I haven't been living at home much for the last few months, but every time I came home, my PC was locked up solid (no blue screen). Power off and restart and it would come up just fine until the next time I came back and it was frozen.

I came home recently and the computer would not boot (I could get into BIOS) but Win 11 would not load (spinning circle and freeze), I brought system down to single stick of RAM, swapped power supply, video card, and just keyboard/mouse. I could not even get the computer to boot Ubuntu or a Win 11 USB installation.

I swapped in my son's 5600X and my system worked perfectly.

WAIT! HERE'S WHERE IT GETS WEIRD!!!

I put the 5900X in his B550-PLUS M/B and it worked perfectly!

From this, I assumed it was my X570 Motherboard. Asus RMA'd my M/B, received the new one, installed it, the 5900X...and still the exact same problems!

AMD decided to then do an RMA, so I got the new 5900X, installed it, and my system is perfect.

The question...
Why would the 5900X work in the B550-PLUS M/B but not my X570? Benchmarks, games, everything seemed to work perfectly with my 5900X in his B550 M/B.

Computing is not an exact science, especially not when BIOSes are involved.

As already mentioned, BIOS updates often add stability and compatibility fixes.

As already mentioned, BIOS updates often add stability and compatibility fixes.
This system worked rock solid for more than 2 years. I even tried the most current BIOS (I was 2 behind) and it was still broken. /shrug

so you want people to take guesses over something you already resolve? no. just fucking spill it.

so you want people to take guesses over something you already resolve? no. just fucking spill it.
Comprehension much? The PROBLEM was solved -- the computer is fixed. I want to know why a bad processor worked in one system, but not in the other.

x570 chipset is connected to the cpu via pcie-gen 4 lanes, b550 via gen 3. So the 5900x likely had suspect pcie controller in the io die which allowed it to work fine at gen3 speeds but not gen4. I think this is sometimes an issue on 5000 series, not common but not unheard of. It more often rears it's head with gpu or usb issues.

Back