Antec True Power 430w

coolguy2k

Gawd
Will this work for:
q6600 (stock hsf in an effort to keep this psu for a bit, thus no ocing for now)
GIGABYTE P35-DS3L
xfx 8800gt
2gb xms2
250gb sata1 maxtor
500gb wd sata2
xfi extreme gamer
plextor dvd+/-rw
wireless nic
p180 w/ 4 120mm fans all at medium speed

thanks!

If it's the older Antec True 430 then it's pushing it with that setup. But, the TP II 430 you should be fine.

i just got it last night, thus the not-wanting-to-get-rid-of-it-ness so i'm guessing it's tpII version (long story short, need to get new mobo to recognize sata drives for boot, because ide drives failed)

Don't guess, look at the packaging or the label on power supply. Complete series and model #s should be on either one, if not both.

If you find the PSU you have is an original TP then I would highly recommend not connecting it up to your system. The original TP was sub-standard and didn't perform well at all.

As far as your motherboard goes, it shouldn't have any problems recognizing SATA hard drives. Check your BIOS to make sure the SATA ports aren't disabled.

v2.2

and its a msi k8t neo board not allowing the sata drive to be bootable plus it no recognize sata2 drive

The TruePower /and/ TruePower II (2) are horrible. Utterly horrible. The use substandard capacitors and insufficient cooling. They fail early. They take other hardware with them. I'm speaking from experience here -- I had 2 original TruePowers die, and one TruePower 2.0 -- all 3 of these while powering the following system in fairly low ambient temperatures with good cooling (500 watt TPs, 550 watt TP2): Athlon 64 3500+, Radeon X800XT, 2 HDDs, 2 DVDRWs. That's it.

That system will destroy a 430 watt TruePower II in a matter of months. Return it, sell it, throw it in the the trash... doesn't matter how you get rid of it, just don't use it. Pick up the Corsair 520HX or 550VX /minimum/ instead.

The TruePower /and/ TruePower II (2) are horrible. Utterly horrible. The use substandard capacitors and insufficient cooling. They fail early. They take other hardware with them. I'm speaking from experience here -- I had 2 original TruePowers die, and one TruePower 2.0 -- all 3 of these while powering the following system in fairly low ambient temperatures with good cooling (500 watt TPs, 550 watt TP2): Athlon 64 3500+, Radeon X800XT, 2 HDDs, 2 DVDRWs. That's it.

That system will destroy a 430 watt TruePower II in a matter of months. Return it, sell it, throw it in the the trash... doesn't matter how you get rid of it, just don't use it. Pick up the Corsair 520HX or 550VX /minimum/ instead.

I just RMA'ed my TP 430w not even two weeks ago. Thing lasted less than a year, but Antec did send me a Truepower Trio 550w in return. So we cool.

Will this work for:
q6600 (stock hsf in an effort to keep this psu for a bit, thus no ocing for now)
GIGABYTE P35-DS3L
evga 8800gt
2gb xms2
250gb sata1 maxtor
500gb wd sata2
xfi extreme gamer
plextor dvd+/-rw
wireless nic
p180 w/ 4 120mm fans all at medium speed

thanks!

the answer is no

I have a TruePower Trio 430W running:

E6600 @ 3GHz (i'm moving my Q6600 to this system after Nehalem comes out)
Abit AW9D-Max
XFX 8800GT XXX @ 670/1950 (factory o/c speed)
2GB Corsair XMS DDR2-800
320GB Seagate SATA II
Audigy 2
Pioneer DVD burner
PCI WiFi
Abit video card slot fan

I'm not sure which TruePower model you have.

I have a TruePower Trio 430W running:

E6600 @ 3GHz (i'm moving my Q6600 to this system after Nehalem comes out)
Abit AW9D-Max
XFX 8800GT XXX @ 670/1950 (factory o/c speed)
2GB Corsair XMS DDR2-800
320GB Seagate SATA II
Audigy 2
Pioneer DVD burner
PCI WiFi
Abit video card slot fan

I'm not sure which TruePower model you have.

in light of this maybe i should rethink the definitive no answer to ask if this sounds like the proper diagnosis in the first place:

setup is in OP, put everything together, pop on - loud noise from psu (high pitched tone) - turn off, plug in power to vid card (i stupid), turn on again, posts in bios, <del> into bios, 2 seconds later shuts off, try again half way through post shuts off, one more time same thing

my diagnosis psu not enough power

is that right or did i kill that psu? or am i completely hopeless and fail at life? (you can mix in the last option with any other option you choose)

I used a TruePower 430W for my old P4/x800xtpe rig. Worked well but caused some sound interference, specailly through headphones. Got the 650 Trio right be4 I built this new rig. Sound problems went away and it powers my new rig nicely.

setup is in OP, put everything together, pop on - loud noise from psu (high pitched tone) - turn off, plug in power to vid card (i stupid), turn on again, posts in bios, <del> into bios, 2 seconds later shuts off, try again half way through post shuts off, one more time same thing

my diagnosis psu not enough power
The high pitched sound was probably from the video card. That's the alarm to warn you about insufficient/no 6-pin power input. The shutting off could be too much power draw, or a flaky PSU.

The high pitched sound was probably from the video card. That's the alarm to warn you about insufficient/no 6-pin power input. The shutting off could be too much power draw, or a flaky PSU.

:relief: that's exactly what i was thinking

it should be noted the psu worked fine when i had lesser components running on it for the few minutes it took me to decide to forego dumping anymore money into my rig and take up the microcenter sales the next day.

and by lesser components i mean:

athlon 64 2800
bfg 6800 ultra oc
1gb value select
3.5 HDDs (the one finally died as it was threatening to do during the previous two weeks, thus the .5 mark it gets.)
and all the same components beyond that

update: Grabbed corsair hx620 - same exact thing :( sad panda, very sad panda

welp, i guess i'll be getting hammered tonight instead of computering

update update: didn't have the heatsink on tight enough ... so 430 probably could power this :)

I just RMA'ed my TP 430w not even two weeks ago. Thing lasted less than a year, but Antec did send me a Truepower Trio 550w in return. So we cool.

Agreed, i had bad experience with the TPII and i take that the TPI is even worse. Just avoid those PSUs all together......

Back