AnandTech Review: LeadTek6800 and eVGA6800UE

HardOCP and Anandtech are probably the very 2 sites that I put more weight on than any other sites as far as reviews are concerned.. But this time around, they show me completely different pictures on the GPU war. I really don't get it. Not only the data manipulated/quoted look suspective/subjective but also the reviewers attitude towards each GPU (i.e. B-I-A-S) sounds quite obvious.

This is the Brent's voice at the end of his VisionTech X800Pro Review. It's almost sounding like a threat or curse. ("You'll see")

"There is no question about it; VisionTek is selling a solid gaming card with a great amount of enthusiast potential. The MSRP is $399 USD. The MSRP of the GeForce 6800 Ultra is $499. The cards stack up to be gaming equals when you view the big picture. You can do the math on the pricing levels."

And here is the Derek's almost sadistic conclusion extracted from his eVGA 9800Ultra Extreme. It's like he's playing a word game.

"If that's too difficult a decision to make, our data shows the 6800 GT to lead the X800 Pro in performance. Maybe the $10 is a factor to you and maybe it isn't, but in this close race, price should definitely be a determining factor.

We can also see the 6800UE leading the X800XTPE most of the time as well. Gamers who choose these very high performing (and priced) cards will likely place less value on "value" than on how well the card does under on particular game. In those cases, check the performance graph for the game of choice and go for it."

What's going on? It's really, really confusing and making me think of conspiracy-theory. C'mon guys, you shouldn't be like this!

lop

p.s. I consider myself an average consumer. Simple. I bought GF TI4400 2 yrs ago because I (and H|O and AT) thought it was a better card than Radeon 8500. And a year ago I bought a Radeon 9800Pro because I (and H|O and AT) thought it was a better card than GF 5900. I'm having a very hard time making a decision this time around.

What exactly are you having a problem with lopri? The 6800GT is faster then the X800Pro in almost every single game. The only time the X800Pro even takes a few wins is when you enable 16xAF because ATI for the moment has ALOT better performance with AF enabled than nVidia. nVidia has better AA performance though.

The 6800u and X800XT PE are tied in performance for DirectX games. They trade blows constantly. The 6800u is usually always faster when AF isn't enabled and the X800XT PE is usually faster when 16xAF is enabled.

The difference in "faster" is usually around 5 fps or less. Ither card is well worth your money. Just pick the one you want.

I picked nVidia because thats the brand i prefer and they have far superior OpenGL performance.

I would like to know where Anandtech is getting their facts from though. They've got an X800XT, which doesn't exist to my knowledge, along with the PE and they've got the X800XT priced at $540 with the 6800u and no price on the PE. It makes no sense at all.

He shows $600 for the price of the 800xtPE?? Retail is $499. There really is no street price since you can't find one right now at any price. And most places taking backorders for them are in the $450 range. I'm waiting (and waiting..) for one from gateway for $434.95 delivered and no tax. Oh well...there's yet another FarCry benchmark comparasin at ExtremeTech if anyone is interested. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1620552,00.asp

Looking at Anand's review, is ATi *ever* going to figure out to write a decent OpenGL driver?

Back