AMD Phenom II x6 1090T/1055T reviews..

correct

Largely because of power requirements.

Three 1055 sytems would draw roughly 3x as much power as one 980x system and if you get a good OC going on the 980x system they would produce roughly the same amount of points per day. The 1055 systems might have a slight advantage in production, but it wouldn't be anywhere near 3x. Also, having more PPD coming from one system is easier to maintain.

with the amount of shit i have laying around my house like cases and PSU's i could pretty much build 3 x6 1090T systems for the cost of a 980x plus motherboard plus ram.. while i agree it is easier to run a single system.. the cost to benefit of the 980x is just not there.. until intel releases some lower end hex-core i7's its just pointless for some one thats not already running an i7 x58 system..

So I am wondering about joining this folding madness. I currently have the urge to get a bit of a toy and I have been looking at firearms but I've already got so many of those I figure maybe put it towards a different item. I am looking at possibly getting 3 1055's systems for folding or maybe 1 intel 980gx. So that is my question what would be more bang for the buck as I am a coder so occasionally I would use the comp(s) for tests but for the most part they would be dedicated to folding. If you guys have any other suggestions I am willing to listen as well, but I just have that hexacore bug I think others are getting right now.

Welcome to the world of folding. As others state and as you have probably seen in the benchmarks done by review sites, the 1055T is nowhere near the same performance class as the Gulftowns are. What about doing 1 Intel 980x and 1 AMD 1055T? The 980x could be a dedicated folding rig and you can use your 1055T as a budget machine for your personal purposes, not to mention that it would also turn out some very good points just running SMP A3 work units in the background while you do your work.

As an AMD fan, i'm afraid to admit that the Gulftown when overclocked(see fellow teammate TJMagneto), can produce as many points as 3 of those AMD's can, although we are curious to see how well those new Thubans will fold when overclocked.

Im not sure how fare out smp bigadv is but at this point in time. a i7-930 with topend cooling $200 +- motherboard is the best bang for the buck. that will change in the future when intel releases cheaper hexa cores.

Im not sure how fare out smp bigadv is but at this point in time. a i7-930 with topend cooling $200 +- motherboard is the best bang for the buck. that will change in the future when intel releases cheaper hexa cores.

I would already be on an i7 of some sorts but my q6600 has been fine for most things until more recently. I also have the huge disadvantage by having the nearest microcenter almost 500 miles away from me so that is kind of a no go. The other factor is I already have quite a bit of cases,power supplies,etc that would cut down the cost of the amd systems heavily.

I will have to shop around and do a price to performance ratio analysis. The other factor is electric bill is not an issue as I run so much equipment as is another 300 dollars a year wouldn't matter to me if it was even that much. I hope someone gets up some folding benchmarks of the amd x6 chips as that would definately help my decision.

I will have to shop around and do a price to performance ratio analysis.
The advantage with i7 is the fact it has been in the market for a while. I would just by one used and save. There's bound to be something in your budget.

I will have some SMP2 A3 unit results tomorrow or Friday.

Looking forward to seeing some numbers. My 1055 processor should be arriving the first part of next week.

Looking forward to seeing some numbers. My 1055 processor should be arriving the first part of next week.

Didn't splurge for next day shipping? I can't wait for you guys picking up Thubans seeing as how AMD is my team, and they finally have something that can keep up with Intel so long as you arn't gaming with it.

Didn't splurge for next day shipping? I can't wait for you guys picking up Thubans seeing as how AMD is my team, and they finally have something that can keep up with Intel so long as you arn't gaming with it.

I had a few projects going so I could not install it right away anyhow. Does that sound like a reasonable excuse?

I had a few projects going so I could not install it right away anyhow. Does that sound like a reasonable excuse?

Since you have that sweet awesome Gulftown rig folding 2 bigadv's simultaneously for you, we'll cut you a pass for not next daying your Thuban :D

LIEZ!!!!!! :p :D

Since you have that sweet awesome Gulftown rig folding 2 bigadv's simultaneously for you, we'll cut you a pass for not next daying your Thuban :D

Really! I had a GPU flaking out on me and after using a crowbar, duct tape, Velcro and zip ties I have it behaving. It took me days to figure out the problem and finally get it working OK. Switching to watercooling would have been better but I need to reload the bank account at some point. :(

Really! I had a GPU flaking out on me and after using a crowbar, duct tape, Velcro and zip ties I have it behaving. It took me days to figure out the problem and finally get it working OK. Switching to watercooling would have been better but I need to reload the bank account at some point. :(

Yeah, but you are going to have to hurry as you heavy hitters will have to be the ones making up for the loss of Tigerbitten for the next 3 months :(

My Core i7 can only do so much, although my friend might be getting ready to sell his GTX275 as he wants a Fermi really bad. Maybe I can snag a good deal on it..........

Early 1055T results:

My BIOS isn't detecting the CPU correctly, so I had to download AMD Overdrive and force a 200mhz bus and 14x multi. Sticking with stock speeds for now till the BIOS issue gets worked out.

Current Progress 7 Frames Complete (7%)
Time Per Frame 0h, 4m, 47s
PPD 8,501.1 (3.01 WUs)
PPD/MHz: 3.036

p6012_hafp3

For reference, my Q6600s are getting about 2 PPD/MHz, so Thuban is a 50% increase, which works out nicely.

Early 1055T results:

My BIOS isn't detecting the CPU correctly, so I had to download AMD Overdrive and force a 200mhz bus and 14x multi. Sticking with stock speeds for now till the BIOS issue gets worked out.

Current Progress 7 Frames Complete (7%)
Time Per Frame 0h, 4m, 47s
PPD 8,501.1 (3.01 WUs)
PPD/MHz: 3.036

p6012_hafp3

For reference, my Q6600s are getting about 2 PPD/MHz, so Thuban is a 50% increase, which works out nicely.

OMG, that is awesome for a stock 1055T!!!

Just for reference, my Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5ghz with CL9 memory at 1600mhz nets me between 7000-8000ppd when I was still folding with it(I still fold one A3 WU per day on it). I suppose it is really true what we have been reading from reviews, that the Thubans are really thread happy and do well with heavily multithreaded programs. After all, it has 6 physical cores! It makes me wonder how well a 1090T at 3.2ghz will do, and then how well a 1090T overclocked to 3.8 ghz will do since we are finding out that these things are very overclockable.

I can't wait till you have a bios that will let you overclock that sucker, as I bet it will scale well in SMP with 6 actual cores.

Fold on my fellow AMD enthusiast!

/makes note to update BIOS and dig the H50 out.
for some reason I can't find a way to update my MSI bios. Their auto update apps aren't finding anything newer, and I don't see a manual download. Working on an alternative update method that appears to have been developed by MSI's forum users.....oddly

Update: 15% into the WU and PPD has gone up to 9,663. 3.451 ppd/mhz

for some reason I can't find a way to update my MSI bios. Their auto update apps aren't finding anything newer, and I don't see a manual download. Working on an alternative update method that appears to have been developed by MSI's forum users.....oddly

Update: 15% into the WU and PPD has gone up to 9,663. 3.451 ppd/mhz

what msi motherboard do you have?

Just checked the Gigabyte website and they have a BIOS for download. Yay!

yeah gigabyte had the bios out even before the x6's came out.. msi had most of their am3 boards updated as well.. kind of surprised they havent put updates out yet for the am2+ boards..

The problem is that even though Gigabyte has the bios update for most of the AM3 boards out now for Thuban, they appear to only be supporting the 1035T and 1055T officially. That concerns me since I would bet that most Thuban purchases would be the 1090T black edition for its unlocked multiplier.

Hopefully they are working on it as I imagine it shouldn't be a problem considering that many of Gigabyte's AM3 stuff are capable of handling a processor with upto a 140watt TDP.

The problem is that even though Gigabyte has the bios update for most of the AM3 boards out now for Thuban, they appear to only be supporting the 1035T and 1055T officially. That concerns me since I would bet that most Thuban purchases would be the 1090T black edition for its unlocked multiplier.

Hopefully they are working on it as I imagine it shouldn't be a problem considering that many of Gigabyte's AM3 stuff are capable of handling a processor with upto a 140watt TDP.

weird.. makes me wonder if because AMD changed the name of the processor from 1095T to 1090T that its causing a problem but i doubt it.. or maybe theres something different about the 1090T then the others.. im sure you will see a new bios in the next couple days for the 1090T..

weird.. makes me wonder if because AMD changed the name of the processor from 1095T to 1090T that its causing a problem but i doubt it.. or maybe theres something different about the 1090T then the others.. im sure you will see a new bios in the next couple days for the 1090T..

I hope so, but that is mostly because I want Thuban to be a success for AMD. If AMD isn't able to kick Intel in the crotch every now and then, consumers will suffer. I just hope that Intel releases some lower cost versions of the current Gulftown before they discontinue LGA 1366 as I keep hearing about. I keep hearing that they are going to ditch it next year, which would suck since I just bought an LGA 1366 mobo.

I hope so, but that is mostly because I want Thuban to be a success for AMD. If AMD isn't able to kick Intel in the crotch every now and then, consumers will suffer. I just hope that Intel releases some lower cost versions of the current Gulftown before they discontinue LGA 1366 as I keep hearing about. I keep hearing that they are going to ditch it next year, which would suck since I just bought an LGA 1366 mobo.
There is at least one lower-cost Gulftown coming to 1366. I think it's called the i7 970 iirc. I am interested in that one as well.

MSI released the updated BIOS sometime last night, and I was able to update this morning.

I hope so, but that is mostly because I want Thuban to be a success for AMD. If AMD isn't able to kick Intel in the crotch every now and then, consumers will suffer.
Very true. I've been saying that since Intel released Conroe.

I just hope that Intel releases some lower cost versions of the current Gulftown before they discontinue LGA 1366 as I keep hearing about. I keep hearing that they are going to ditch it next year, which would suck since I just bought an LGA 1366 mobo.
I haven't kept abreast with the CPU roadmaps. Is it a confirmed EOL for 1366 next year?

So sad............

As expensive as LGA1366 motherboards are right now, I fear that these Intel motherboards will only get more expensive when we move to this new socket. I find it apalling that you can't find a decent LGA1366 motherboard for under $200, when you can find decent LGA1156 Core i7 motherboards for as low as what AM3 motherboards run for.

So sad............

As expensive as LGA1366 motherboards are right now, I fear that these Intel motherboards will only get more expensive when we move to this new socket. I find it apalling that you can't find a decent LGA1366 motherboard for under $200, when you can find decent LGA1156 Core i7 motherboards for as low as what AM3 motherboards run for.

i dont think they will get more expensive.. the price will just hold steady at what it is for a couple years and then start dropping.. similar to whats happened with Nvidia's GTX200 series cards.. the only way prices will fall is that bulldozer is leaps and bounds better then what intel comes out with as well..

Well my 1055T can't get any WU from the work servers, so I took the opportunity to do some OCing

Up to 3.6ghz so far. All stock volts, ~1850mhz HT and NB clocks.

46793111.png

Power consumption under LinX please!! Those area amazing clocks for that CPU considering it's still 45nm. What are stock volts? Maybe 1.4V. I guess is is just turbo but on all the cores.

Power consumption under LinX please!! Those area amazing clocks for that CPU considering it's still 45nm. What are stock volts? Maybe 1.4V. I guess is is just turbo but on all the cores.

depends on the motherboard because ive seen different stock voltages.. anandtechs is 1.3v while legit review's is 1.47v.. anandtech was able to get the 1090T to 3.8ghz at 1.36v.. while guru3D was able to get the 1090T to 4ghz @ 1.407v.. so it should give you an idea of whats needed on the 1055T to do 4ghz or higher.. also the NB on the 1055T can handle up to 3ghz.. ill have to find the thread on another forum with that information.. but he had it running at 4.2ghz 3ghz on the NB at 1.5v i believe.. if your running a decent cooler i see now reason why it couldnt hit 4ghz on the stock voltage..

here is a section of hardware canucks review..

As always, here are the obligatory CPU-Z screenshots. Now these screenshots were taken with our pre-retail chips which had higher voltages than our retail sample did. If we are to trust CPU-Z, all three chips idled at approximately 1.212V. However, between 4 to 6 cores were in use the pre-retail chips ran at 1.272V, whereas the retail chip only needed 1.248-1.260V. When 1 to 3 cores were loaded and Turbo CORE kicked in, the vCore on the pre-retail chips would increase to 1.440V, while the retail one only needed 1.428V. AMD claims that the voltage range of the retail chips is 1.125-1.40V, but as you can see here our retail X6 1090T certainly went a little above that. Despite these seemingly high voltages, these new processors have a 62C max temp, so they will undoubtedly run cool, just like previous Phenom II's.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...1055t-1090t-six-core-processors-review-2.html

I am dieing to see the numbers on this thing at 3.6+. I need a new toy....

I am dieing to see the numbers on this thing at 3.6+. I need a new toy....
PPD numbers? Yea me too. No matter what I do I can't get any work for this PC.

So, if 62c is the max temp, is that the "CPU" temp or is that a core temp? And I assume I should try to stay below that? The stock cooler is doing a decent job, keeping the cores at 45c under OCCT, but I'm pretty sure it's running at 100%. When the wife says "is that a tornado warning?" I know I'm in trouble.....time to see if the old socket 939 Freezer 64 Pro will fit on this thing.

So, if 62c is the max temp, is that the "CPU" temp or is that a core temp? And I assume I should try to stay below that? The stock cooler is doing a decent job, keeping the cores at 45c under OCCT, but I'm pretty sure it's running at 100%. When the wife says "is that a tornado warning?" I know I'm in trouble.....time to see if the old socket 939 Freezer 64 Pro will fit on this thing.

If that stock HSF setup is anything like what comes on the X4 Phenom's, it will definately get loud as hell. I don't know about what you have, but the HSF for the 965 is capable of running upto 7000rpms. I've seen it maxed at 7000rpms while folding as I believe speedfan and CPUID's hardware monitor pro both give you cpu fan rpms as well. Mine sounds like a dustbuster once it gets past 5000rpms, and a full blown leafblower once it gets past 6000rpms. When it gets to 7000rpms, Hitler wouldn't need a GTX 480 to go deaf.

I go by what CoreTemp tells me based on how I observe the fan speeds to ramp up. When Coretemp gets to 56 degrees, the fans spool up to 3000rpms or more. At 58 degrees, I notice that it is running at 5000rpms. At 59, it runs at 6000rpms. At 60, i've noticed my fan maxed out at 6800-6900rpms.

If that stock HSF setup is anything like what comes on the X4 Phenom's, it will definately get loud as hell. I don't know about what you have, but the HSF for the 965 is capable of running upto 7000rpms. I've seen it maxed at 7000rpms while folding as I believe speedfan and CPUID's hardware monitor pro both give you cpu fan rpms as well. Mine sounds like a dustbuster once it gets past 5000rpms, and a full blown leafblower once it gets past 6000rpms. When it gets to 7000rpms, Hitler wouldn't need a GTX 480 to go deaf.

I go by what CoreTemp tells me based on how I observe the fan speeds to ramp up. When Coretemp gets to 56 degrees, the fans spool up to 3000rpms or more. At 58 degrees, I notice that it is running at 5000rpms. At 59, it runs at 6000rpms. At 60, i've noticed my fan maxed out at 6800-6900rpms.

interesting because i have the stock fan on one of my other systems and ive never seen it break 3800rpm's and its just as loud as my thermaltake Big Typhoon heatsink/fan..

thats core temp.. at 62-64C the cpu will start throttling and some where between 69-72C it will completely shut down.. and no dont bother with the freezer 64 pro it wont be able to cool the processor worth a shit.. maybe at stock clock but even the stock heatsinks better then the freezer 64 pro..

The stock HSF is actually pretty decent from what people tell me as the drawback is how loud it can get. I wonder whether you have gotten your cpu that hot. I just got done playing Battlefield BC2 right now, and I can almost tell what temperature my cpu is running at based on the speed the stock HSF is running. I have only noticed it going above 3800rpms according to HWMpro during folding as not a single game is capable of driving that processor hard enough. Pretty neat how the stock HSF ramps up in speed according to temperature.

interesting because i have the stock fan on one of my other systems and ive never seen it break 3800rpm's and its just as loud as my thermaltake Big Typhoon heatsink/fan..

thats core temp.. at 62-64C the cpu will start throttling and some where between 69-72C it will completely shut down.. and no dont bother with the freezer 64 pro it wont be able to cool the processor worth a shit.. maybe at stock clock but even the stock heatsinks better then the freezer 64 pro..

I second that you not bother. These cpus can put out a good amount of heat and I would wager that your stock HSF is pretty good compared to your old cooler. If it can fit, a Noctua NDH-14 would be sweet as I bet it could handle whatever the Thuban can throw at it. Hell it can handle TJMagneto's Gulftown at 4.2ghz!

If it can fit, a Noctua NDH-14 would be sweet as I bet it could handle whatever the Thuban can throw at it. Hell it can handle TJMagneto's Gulftown at 4.2ghz!
I have been impressed with the NH-D14 since day one. I rarely see temps over 70c.

If anybody is considering buying this cooler please do your homework and take some measurements first. This is a beast of a cooler and might not fit some cases.

Has any one tried -bigadv yet?! If it's not putting up 30k ppd then I don't see much use for it. An i7 system doesn't cost much more.

I would upgrade the propus in my media center if I can get a good ppd, But 6-9k ppd with the rinkydink clients isn't worth the higher electric bill IMHO

Back