AMD Mantle API Programming Guide Is Out Today

HardOCP News

[H] News
Anyone interested in programming for AMD’s Mantle API can head on over to the company website and download this 450 page programming guide for free.

AMD’s Mantle is a groundbreaking graphics API that promises to transform the world of game development to help bring better, faster games to the PC. Read on to discover how AMD is working with the game development community to revolutionize the PC gaming experience. This 450-page programming guide and API reference provides developers with a detailed look at the capabilities and architecture of the Mantle graphics API.

I used to be excited about Mantle, but it gives very little real world performance gain that I can see. The only real upside is that it will work with Linux too, but if Microsoft gets DX12 out by summer, and then they give their OS away for free, Mantle may be DOA.

Fascinating.

I'm impressed they just winged that out there like that. It makes it more credible that AMD wants this to be something that is universal.

I used to be excited about Mantle, but it gives very little real world performance gain that I can see. The only real upside is that it will work with Linux too, but if Microsoft gets DX12 out by summer, and then they give their OS away for free, Mantle may be DOA.

I've been a little out of the loop, but my impression was that there wasn't really very many games that utilize Mantle, and that it was the current gen of Frostbite 3 engine games that were the first to really dig in and use Mantle to its fullest capacity.

Could be why they are releasing this - to get more people interested in programming directly for it, rather than just scraping the surface and calling it Mantle support...

We need more Mantle/Vulkan/DX12 games, the difference is impressive. The Mantle torch has now been passed on to Vulcan, and dx12 more widespread adoption FTW.

Wow, just got caught up and boy am I out of the loop...

AMD giving up the Mantle ghost flying solo. scratch what I said before then...

AMD has already said Mantle is dead.

But Vulkan says hi.

Interesting though, Vulkan is OpenGL tech with some of Mantle incorporated into it, right? Done by a 3rd party company.

I was excited about Mantle - sad to see it go, but this does influence my future video card purchase decisions going forward.

Interesting though, Vulkan is OpenGL tech with some of Mantle incorporated into it, right? Done by a 3rd party company.

I was excited about Mantle - sad to see it go, but this does influence my future video card purchase decisions going forward.

Vulkan = opengl consortium taking mantle and running with it. this is what amd wanted

Vulkan = opengl consortium taking mantle and running with it. this is what amd wanted

No, AMD wanted Mantle as its own API and have intel and nvidia support it.

but in the end this is much better

mantle was to bring forth the discussion of lower level api's with out it dx12/vulkin would not exist in current forms

It's a bit more than just integration, Vulkan IS Mantle with some tweaks. If you look at the code from Vulkan, it is essentially the same code as Mantle with a different prefix.

No it is not OpenGL - tech or otherwise. Its a clean slate, it breaks backward compatibility with OpenGL. And its not a third party company - its a non-profit consortium made up of industry professionals, many of them engine and graphic developers at major AAA developers. Example, the guy that spearheaded Mantle development for BF4 on the Frostbite engine team, is one of the members of Khronos that's been helping to develop it.

Think of it like an open, non-paywalled DX12 that's not tied to one platform, or one specific version of one platform, or any corporate interests for that matter.

mantle was to bring forth the discussion of lower level api's with out it dx12/vulkin would not exist in current forms

You can't say DX12 wouldn't exists way it is now cause mantle. DX12 had those improvements before mantle was announced. They wouldn't been able to add it in the month between mantle being announced and them announcing dx12.

It's more of a new API, not directly related to legacy OpenGL, with some parts of Mantle in it. From what I've seen so far, since the API is from from finalized right now, Vulkan is less closely related to Mantle than OpenCL is to CUDA.

If that was true then AMD wouldn't have donated Mantle to Khronos as the basis for Vulkan. But they did. So it's pretty safe to say you're wrong.

It's more of a new API, not directly related to legacy OpenGL, with some parts of Mantle in it. From what I've seen so far, since the API is from from finalized right now, Vulkan is less closely related to Mantle than OpenCL is to CUDA.

Everything we've heard to far is you can practically take mantle, find & replace with vulkan, and you've got 95% of the vulkan API.

And yet Vulkan is based on Mantle.
What the main speaker said is that the Mantle API was used as a starting point, and he thanked AMD for that. The standardization process resulted in something that's pretty different from Mantle, including the programming language used (contributed by LunarG) with it and scope of the API (major contributions by AMD, ARM, Microsoft, and others who worked on OpenGL Next). It is correct to say that Mantle provided a starting point, but it's not correct to say that Vulkan is based on Mantle, at least in the sense that all the various parts that comprise it (including major functionality) are from Mantle.

What's accurate is that Vulkan includes some parts influenced by the Mantle API, which is what I wrote. :rolleyes:

Back