AMD Catalyst 14.4 Windows / Linux Driver Now Available

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you Radeon owners out there should hustle on over to AMD and download the new AMD Catalyst 14.4 Catalyst drivers. In addition to support for the AMD Radeon R9 295X, the drivers offer the following fixes and improvements:

CrossFire fixes enhancements:
  • Crysis 3 – frame pacing improvements
  • Far Cry 3 – 3 and 4 GPU performance improvements at high quality settings, high resolution settings
  • Anno 2070 – Improved CrossFire scaling up to 34%
  • Titanfall – Resolved in game flickering with CrossFire enabled
  • Metro Last Light – Improved Crossfire scaling up to 10%
  • Eyefinity 3x1 (with three 4K panels) no longer cuts off portions of the application
  • Stuttering has been improved in certain applications when selecting mid-Eyefinity resolutions with V-sync Enabled

Mantle beta driver improvements:
  • BattleField 4: Performance slowdown is no longer seen when performing a task switch/Alt-tab
  • BattleField 4: Fuzzy images when playing in rotated SLS resolution with an A10 Kaveri system

Up to 34% CF scaling in Anno 2070?!

Either AMD is testing similar hacks that nvidia is starting to use. Or Ubi$oft is opening both sides of the bed?

Does it fix the screen going black and the computer locking up hard in Battlefield 4? Assholes.

I hope they fix internet video causing the video card driver to recover. That's an annoying bug!

Eyefinity 3x1 (with three 4K panels) no longer cuts off portions of the application

Talk about first world problems :D

How different are these from the leaked ones?

This driver makes it so my second monitor can not be detected. Reverted to 13.12's and all is well.

Last edited:
This driver makes it so my second monitor is can not be detected. Reverted to 13.12's and all is well.

Thought I'd give it a try despite your post and sure enough, 2 of my 3 displays are no longer detected.
I use a monitor, small TV display and projector, the only one that detects now is the small TV.
I unplugged the TV lead and made it into a second input on the monitor and I get both displays (for the monitor only) duplicated.
So I disabled the TV leads input and got my monitor working by itself as a single display.
But as soon as I unplug the lead for the TV (and dont plug it back into the TV), it says I have no displays (monitor icon is greyed out) but it is still displaying on the monitor.
Pressing detect displays does nothing, I still have no projector or monitor, it says I have no displays!

So I have no use of my projector and I dare not reboot.
Great.

AMD, get your crap together please, I cant possibly recommend you when you cant even get the basics working.
I'm getting close to selling my card after you also pulled that stupid stunt by not letting normal DVI to HDMI leads pass audio, give us this back, you mugged us in a driver update.
That and the stupid black screen crashes that started occurring again.
F***ing sort it out, you really are second rate.

Eyefinity profiles crash... fantastic.

One good thing out of this update is that Titanfall now runs on crossfire. Super smooth and fast.

No issues on my rig with these so far. Frame pacing seems a bit better but that may just be placebo. They have the same powertune / overclocking fixes that were in the 14.4 betas so if you were having problems these are good now.

What was the "powertune / overclocking" issue? I have two 290x cards and they seem to OC ok. Are they really not?

What was the "powertune / overclocking" issue? I have two 290x cards and they seem to OC ok. Are they really not?
There was a problem with the +power % not applying correctly with the 14.1 and 14.2 drivers from what I understand. I noticed that I had to turn my overclocks down from 1075 to 1035 core speed or I was unstable with those drivers.

With 14.4 I can run 1075 again without issues.

BattleField 4: Performance slowdown is no longer seen when performing a task switch/Alt-tab

hope this is indeed fixed. often when i alt tab and go back into the game my system comes to a crawl. have to restart the game and/or computer to fix it.

Powerlimit function was broken. forcing lower OC clocks.
sticky 3d clocks on boot.

Youtube started blue screening, and I sent the 290X back to Amazon. AMD can go fuck itself.

Youtube started blue screening, and I sent the 290X back to Amazon. AMD can go fuck itself.

Wait, it still does this?!? Damn I hate that they never fixed this. The issue with this is that I cannot always duplicate the issue. It happens occasionally. I reformatted my computer thinking it was improper driver installation or something else but it still does it.

Have any of you actually installed the 14.4s? Just because one person reports a problem doesn't mean it's universal.

Another problem. Just installed the second 290x with 14.4 drivers and now in AB I lost the ability to adjust the power limit for both gpu's. Slider is not there anymore. Also on the second card I can't monitor or adjust the voltage. AB will only monitor on the gpu2 is core / memory speed, fan %, load %, and temp. Pulling hair out.....

Another problem. Just installed the second 290x with 14.4 drivers and now in AB I lost the ability to adjust the power limit for both gpu's. Slider is not there anymore. Also on the second card I can't monitor or adjust the voltage. AB will only monitor on the gpu2 is core / memory speed, fan %, load %, and temp. Pulling hair out.....

Make sure the power saving is turned off for both video cards. It's in Afterburner

I have no idea why anyone puts up with this shit. I put my GTX 260 back in and it'll be another 8 years before I lose my mind and try AMD.

Installed, and now my second monitor doesn't work. Single 290x. Everything was working fine on 14.3.

I'm running 290X CF.

Installed 14.4 leak. Numerous problems, including system freezes/lockups during videogames and video playback.

Installed 14.4 RC. Same issues.

Performed low-level format. Didn't reinstall Windows 8.1 just in case that was the issue and installed to Server 2012 R2 Datacenter. Reinstalled 14.4 RC. Same issues, same exact points of system lockup during gameplay (these were always consistent, such as game freezing during opening "water" scene of BF4 Campaign, or game freezing after getting the yellow Porsche in NFS:MW).

Removed all other PCIe devices (RAID controller, Asus Xonar Essence ST) just in case they were causing issues, and tested with only 290X CF installed. Same issues.

Tried with CF disabled. Same issues.

Tried with only one 290X installed. Same issues.

Reverted to 14.3. Received AMD driver failures during gameplay instead of system lock. Not as bad, but still not as great as I'd like.

Reverted to 14.2. No issues so far! Me = very happy. Will update if 14.2 gives me shit.

Relevant system specs:

Sapphire R9 290X Crossfire
Asus P8P67 Pro
i7-3770K mild overclock (varies) w/ CLC
OCZ Vector 150 240GB
2560x1440
32GB RAM
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter / Windows 8.1 Enterprise / Windows 7 Enterprise (untested -- don't use it as much lately)

Last edited:
I'm running 290X CF.

Installed 14.4 leak. Numerous problems, including system freezes/lockups during videogames and video playback.

Installed 14.4 RC. Same issues.

Performed low-level format. Didn't reinstall Windows 8.1 just in case that was the issue and installed to Server 2012 R2 Datacenter. Reinstalled 14.4 RC. Same issues, same exact points of system lockup during gameplay (these were always consistent, such as game freezing during opening "water" scene of BF4 Campaign, or game freezing after getting the yellow Porsche in NFS:MW).

Removed all other PCIe devices (RAID controller, Asus Xonar Essence ST) just in case they were causing issues, and tested with only 290X CF installed. Same issues.

Tried with CF disabled. Same issues.

Tried with only one 290X installed. Same issues.

Tried

Reverted to 14.3. Received AMD driver failures during gameplay instead of system lock. Not as bad, but still not as great as I'd like.

Reverted to 14.2. No issues so far! Me = very happy. Will update if 14.2 gives me shit.

Relevant system specs:

Sapphire R9 290X Crossfire
Asus P8P67 Pro
i7-3770K
OCZ Vector 150 240GB
2560x1440
32GB RAM
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter / Windows 8.1 Enterprise / Windows 7 Enterprise (untested -- don't use it as much lately)

I assume your CPU and ram are at stock?

Yeah, they're pretty stock. I OC once in a while if bored, but the small real-world difference and me running all my equipment 24/7 doesn't make the instability worth it.

Main rig doubles as server most of the time.

Back