AMD Catalyst 12.4 Drivers Now Available

well done. can i get an RMA based on drivers?
You certainly can (I managed it once with Asus and a Radeon HD 5850), but all the OEM can do is replace your card with an identical one...which will have exactly the same hardware and software problems.

That's part of what set off the AMD Driver Bug Thread that I was keeping up to date for months and months. Should I call up AMD out of the blue and ask wtf is going on? :D

I'd be seriously tempted to throw down some cash for a Radeon HD 7970 if it means better drivers for everyone (need a card from the series that's having issues in order to test properly)...

Yanked my second card out of my system last night and now 12.4 works fine. What a fucking crap shoot. Now I have a $400 paper weight thats probably gonna end up on the for sale thread in the near future. AMD single card drivers work frine, no doubt about it, but xfire will never see the light of day in my system again unless there are some big changes.

Odd you guys have so many CF issues as mine has been humming along nicely since roughly launch.
Aside from 3D clocks being stuck on my 2nd GPU, haven't had any major problems.
And performance/CF scaling has been great in big titles such as BF3, MW3 and Crysis 2. Mind you I am running a single monitor, so maybe all you guys are running eyefinity.

Yanked my second card out of my system last night and now 12.4 works fine. What a fucking crap shoot. Now I have a $400 paper weight thats probably gonna end up on the for sale thread in the near future. AMD single card drivers work frine, no doubt about it, but xfire will never see the light of day in my system again unless there are some big changes.

I'm in the market for a 7950 :)

Odd you guys have so many CF issues as mine has been humming along nicely since roughly launch.
Aside from 3D clocks being stuck on my 2nd GPU, haven't had any major problems.
And performance/CF scaling has been great in big titles such as BF3, MW3 and Crysis 2. Mind you I am running a single monitor, so maybe all you guys are running eyefinity.

Same here. NO issues with 7970CF. I'm running single screen 2560.

No issues I can find in both single & CF 5870 & 5830 on a single 1920x1080 & eyefinity 5760x1080.

Yeah I'll upgrade when I'm finished Grimrock & play less LOL... no use upgrading for me right now.

I'll admit, I had a few issues with resetting up my eyefinity with the 12.4s, but It's working now... Still have an issue with tearing on my 3rd monitor though.... grrrr....

Say, do you guys use the CAPs with a single GPU setup? I thought that those were ONLY for 2 or more GPU setups (ie: Crossfire), but the release notes suggest that the CAPS are being used with single GPU setups too.

You're supposed to use it for single GPU setups also. It's their wording that make it seems like its only for crossfire only.

I'm having rendering issues in TF2 on my 6950s crossfire. Will try disabling crossfire and see what happens.

Edit: Yep, disabling crossfire in CCC fixed it. SIGH. I swear AMD doesn't ever test their drivers.

Installing 12.4 drivers rebooted my pc without warning as part of the install process. I knew I would have to reboot, but I would have liked some sort of warning before it just shut down. At least it's only my work pc that has an AMD video card in it, not my home one.

Jesus.. I'm runing out of patents AMD! What a crap fest.. cant run 4 cards in eyefinity and stuck with the first set of drivers for the 7970 (11.12) just so i can play BF3 in eyefinity with only 3 cards.. Thought i'd be finally using all 4 cards by April and i guess not. I feel stuck. Dont want to go back to Nvidia cause there 680s are only have 2GB Vram.

Should of stayed with my 580s 1.5GB in quad SLI and just played on a single monitor.. atleast i would be using the pc.

Fvck.

Getting odd glitches and tearing in the background when talking to Vex in the Thieves Guild in Skyrim with these.

Maybe I'll try installing them again, or go back to the old 11.2s.

Trifire in eyefinity still getting pathetic performance in BF3, about 55% or so per gpu...back to 11.12 yet again...:rolleyes:

Just upgraded to official 12.4 from 12.4 preview. Tearing on my left monitor (mini DP to DVI) is completely gone. Used to be really, really bad at dekstop, and just fine during gaming. Must affect certain setups differently? Maybe having the same 3 monitors helps, not sure, but dang this is much better.

I cannot run any game in Eyefinity with these drivers

GPU2 pegs to 100% usage and stays there, GPU1 goes to 33% and never moves.

This is on a clean install (Uninstall 12.3, boot to safe mode, run driver sweeper, install 12.4)

Seeing an issue with the FUEL service terminating with an error immediately after boot on a clean install.

Should show up in event viewer, any of you seeing the same ?

I reverted back to 12.3 (CAP1) and the issue has gone away, I can no play games in Eyefinity again.

I am so going to get a 680 or a 690, I'm sick of this shit.

Anyone here having problems with BF3 crashing with the 12.4 & 7850?

Running 12.4 with CF'd 6870's and running great! BF3 is much smoother now with MLAA 2.0

And MLAA 2.0 looks a ton better, too, at least on the games I've tried.

You would recommend that over the in game FXAA settings in BF3? I'll give it a shot :)

No issues with these drivers on this end (as always).

6950 Crossfire - 6048x1080 Eyefinity

Tested:
Arma 2 Combined Ops (CF/Eyefinity)
BF3 (CF)
Counter-Strike: GO Beta
Diablo 3 Beta
DCS A-10C (Eyefinity - I run borderless windowed for iControl DCS)
Dota 2 Beta
Mass Effect 3 (CF/Eyefinity)
Skyrim (CF/Eyefinity)
Tribes Ascend

Last edited:
HDMI drops with Cat 12.4, first Catalyst drivers that have given me an issue.
Back to 12.3 and not really disapointed. The 12.3 drivers handle everything I throw at them without a hic-up.

12.4 is perfect for me with single screen 2560 crossfire. BF3 is a little snappier, MLAA performance is up a ton across the board.

When I uninstall 12.3 drivers my screens' brightness,color, or gamma levels seem to become more correct and when I install the new 12.4 drivers on the first black screen flick the brightness, color, or gamma seems to be darker or duller. I really can't tell what it is but when I uninstall amd's drivers and let Windows 7 install the picture seems to be more correct. Has anyone else experienced this?

Interesting issue, downloaded and installed 12.4, CCC reports Catalyst Version 11.11 (which I was running before upgrading) Uninstalled 12.4, cleaned the drivers, reinstalled and CCC still reports 11.11

Both times there were no errors, the install reported everything successful. I checked the installed package version number and the driver version numbers the second time and they are correct for 12.4, so it seems I am running 12.4, but CCC says 11.11

Well this driver install's pretty much screwed up my entire system. Timeline:

1. Uninstalled old drivers, restarted in safe mode and ran driver sweeper+ccleaner, and restarted again.
2. Installed 12.4 drivers, restarted and BSOD before the login screen(Page file in a nonpaged area).
3. Restarted with last known good settings.
4. Uninstalled drivers and restarted in safe mode/driver sweeper/ccleaner.
5. Restarted and downloaded RC11.12 drivers, and wouldn't install because the INF file couldn't be found.
6. Tried to install from the device manager and restarted.
7. Same page file in a nonpaged area BSOD before login screen.
8. Restarted with last known good settings and currently backing up to do a clean install.

I've done the same routine for driver installs without fault and suddenly Windows 7 refuses to install AMD drivers now.

Well this driver install's pretty much screwed up my entire system. Timeline:

1. Uninstalled old drivers, restarted in safe mode and ran driver sweeper+ccleaner, and restarted again.
2. Installed 12.4 drivers, restarted and BSOD before the login screen(Page file in a nonpaged area).
3. Restarted with last known good settings.
4. Uninstalled drivers and restarted in safe mode/driver sweeper/ccleaner.
5. Restarted and downloaded RC11.12 drivers, and wouldn't install because the INF file couldn't be found.
6. Tried to install from the device manager and restarted.
7. Same page file in a nonpaged area BSOD before login screen.
8. Restarted with last known good settings and currently backing up to do a clean install.

I've done the same routine for driver installs without fault and suddenly Windows 7 refuses to install AMD drivers now.

Sounds like this was caused by driver sweeper or ccleaner, I had something similar happen to me. What happens is when you sweep it will delete more files than is needed, and will prevent you from properly installing a driver. CCleaner was probably the culprit, I had something very similar happen to me in the past. Your best bet at this point is to use system restore.

I'm a strong proponent of not using driver sweeper, and *especially* don't use registry cleaners. Those things are bad news - i've had so many instances of registry cleaners removing things that they should not have, and fucking my shit up.

I have to agree with you xoleras about the sweepers. I have heard that installing from the shipping cd again straightens things out in some cases

Yeha that always happends. the trick is to go into safe mode and install the cards as standard display devices. Then boot into windows and install the drivers.

Err. This can't be normal can it?
I installed the new drivers. But now the drivers are recognized as 11.8 by both MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z.
Also all my clocks are gone and Afterburner refuses to accept the previous clock speeds.
What the hell is going on here?

Since I dual boot my system with XP Pro/Win 7, this is the first driver that didn't have issues on the Desktop with XP for me. I don't game on XP, so I can't comment on it

Back