Amazon Studios to Shoot All 2014 Original Content in 4K

HardOCP News

[H] News
Amazon Studios, the original film and TV production arm of Amazon.com, today announced that it plans to shoot all 2014 full original series, including comedies and dramas, in 4K Ultra HD. 4K is the latest and most advanced in high definition video, utilizing displays with an aspect ratio of at least 16:9 and capable of showcasing video at a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 pixels or 8.3 million pixels—that’s four times the number of pixels as standard full HD. 4K means customers can enjoy their favorite movies and TV shows with unprecedented picture clarity—details are sharper with smoother lines so that even up-close images seem clearer and more realistic.

Talking about video in terms of resolution is like talking about power in terms of volts. Both are nearly meaningless without listing bitrate or the current.

No wonder this stuff never takes off with consumers. What is all that fucking gibberish?

"Details are sharper with smoother lines..."

The fuck? Marketers are the dumbest people on the planet.

I'm actually really excited about this! As a new 4k uhdtv owner, this is great news and great to watch the 4K market unfold in front of you! It'll only get bigger and bigger guys. It's been a joke buying DVDs and Bluray disks when the actual movie that you "own" is originally in 4k or 8k.

Only concern is streaming quality which I highly doubt would be good. lol Then again, there's too much streaming going on, period.

Filmed and streamed at are two different things.

Roosterteeth films all their stuff in 4K (except their podcast those are 1080) but don't stream at that.

Found it funny when This is the End plastered all over the blu-Ray box how it was filmed in 4k.

To be honest I expect things now to be filmed in 4k and reduced down to whatever is needed. That way when 4k becomes more widely used and is the res that media plays at they don't have to upscale the content. As the master copy would be at 4k already

Nice! Amazon's going to withhold 4k movies from you too! :-P

Back