Amazon Revenue Down After Imposing Sales Tax

The HBO shows will appear 3 years after broadcast. I can buy the boxes before that. Not saying its bad, just saying it ain't that great.

Meh, I agree. It's nice that you don't have to be an HBO subscriber to get the streaming content but 3 years is a long time.

If I have to pay tax anyway, and BB will match Amazon, why not get it at BB and have an easy return if necessary at the same time?

If I have to pay tax anyway, and BB will match Amazon, why not get it at BB and have an easy return if necessary at the same time?

That is a fair point, although I question the whole "matching price" scenario. My question is this, why does BB have to match a price in the first place? Why don't they just sell the product for a lower or at least competitive price in the first place? I generally don't shop at those places on principle. Why would I support a company that is trying to gouge its customers with inflated prices instead of just offering everyday fair competitive prices? It's one thing for a company that is consistently offering low competitive prices to have a price match program, its entirely different for a company known to gouge people on prices to do it.

That is a fair point, although I question the whole "matching price" scenario. My question is this, why does BB have to match a price in the first place? Why don't they just sell the product for a lower or at least competitive price in the first place? I generally don't shop at those places on principle. Why would I support a company that is trying to gouge its customers with inflated prices instead of just offering everyday fair competitive prices? It's one thing for a company that is consistently offering low competitive prices to have a price match program, its entirely different for a company known to gouge people on prices to do it.

Maybe this is news to you, but businesses are in business to make money. A store with a B&M location has significant overhead costs that an online e-tailer does not. It costs more money to make money at Bestbuy compared to Amazon. Usually, they are not "price gouging" per se, but offering items at MSRP.

Seriously. It is like people believe Amazon wants to charge sales tax... They are being forced to charge sales tax. They are also only charging the tax in states which are forcing them to charge it. So I would think people who have to pay that tax would be more up in arms over their state enforcing it. Because here is the rub, Amazon is not the last company they will go after for that tax, they will continue going after all the online retailers.

And if the states didn't charge such a high sales tax rate, people wouldn't be trying so hard to avoid the it.

Because BB has the retail overhead that Amazon and other online e-tailers dont.

Fulfilled by an out of state seller ftw...

Fwiw you still owe use tax... and they have to collect sales tax if they have a nexus in the state (at least here in WA) which does not necessarily require a physical presence.
lol, need to find an "Amazon Proxy" website. :D

I think its horse crap that we get taxes pulled out of our paycheck and then taxed AGAIN when we purchase goods / services.

Starting May 1st, us FLoridians will get bent over by Amazon and have to pay sales tax. :(

They started taxing in MA last fall. My orders have definitely dropped in volume since I have other websites to order from that do not collect tax.

I never brick and mortar shop anymore, just not worth the hassle of dealing with traffic and stupid people when I can just get things delivered to my doorstep.

If my state didn't piss away all the tax money they confiscate then maybe I would feel differently about the situation. They get enough tax dollars out of me, that's for damn sure.

Indiana here. Amazon AND Newegg both in the state. Sales tax for both.
I have a frys (which price matches, but will include tax AND shipping unless the shipping is free)
Microcenter and tigerdirect are all viable options. I guess it depends on what I need.

Headline: Some company uses legal loopholes
Comments: Fuck that company

Headline: Amazon charges tax
Comments: Fuck buying from them, I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Funny part though is the loopholes are at least legal.

The tax is due either way, you're just breaking the law if you don't declare the purchase on your tax returns. So really it's the consumer using a loophole.

Am i the only one wondering about this "New research out of Ohio State University"? Why are we researching something that amazon already would keep track of. Is amazon that secret about their revenue?

This should be titled "Proof that raising taxes reduces consumer spending". It's what every fiscal conservative has been saying for decades now that keeps falling on deaf ears in the government.

And if the states didn't charge such a high sales tax rate, people wouldn't be trying so hard to avoid the it.

So I guess what you are saying is that you agree with my statement?

Maybe this is news to you, but businesses are in business to make money. A store with a B&M location has significant overhead costs that an online e-tailer does not. It costs more money to make money at Bestbuy compared to Amazon. Usually, they are not "price gouging" per se, but offering items at MSRP.

Because BB has the retail overhead that Amazon and other online e-tailers dont.

BB also has online stores. Also many B&M stores offer significant discounts. BB is known even among the B&M stores for gouging. So your statement here is really not that relevant. Also Amazon incurs costs for storing product and shipping product. They have costs that B&M stores don't generally have. So that concept goes both ways. In addition Amazon has to contend with other online retailers, some of which also have large B&M presence and still offer low prices.

This should be titled "Proof that raising taxes reduces consumer spending". It's what every fiscal conservative has been saying for decades now that keeps falling on deaf ears in the government.

But the Krugmans of the world have smarter ideas for your money than you possibly could.

Never pay Retail price for anything if you can help it.

NOBODY pays retail anymore.

You close the sales guy these days.

Ask for tax in, if they dont do it, walk.

75% of the time you get what you want.

This is for bullshit computer hardware parts purchases.

Just keep in mind you're snaking commission from the sales guy if he folds.

For me, it depends.

I have prime as well.

some times, Amazon is a better deal...and other times, Newegg is (both Amazon and Newegg charges me sales tax; newegg just charges the state rate...amazon will do the county/city).

Then again, there are other times where both Amazon and Newegg don't have the best deals.

Each etailer has their pros and cons.

Perhaps Amazon can become more proactive in their deals and discounts to offset the negatives from sales tax like...you know...successful brick and mortar stores.
(that's the reason why I still buy from Fry's....they price match to Newegg, Amazon, and TigerDirect and there's the instant gratification aspect as well).

Who was this a surprise to?

Glad they have to play by the same rules as ALMOST every other retailer.

Well go figure. 8PM and my packages have yet to be delivered. Checking the tracking number on them shows they've checked in at a depot in Greensboro (largest city closest to me) about an hour ago. Guess I wont be getting them until tomorrow. So much for two BUSINESS day shipping, again.

Headline: Some company uses legal loopholes
Comments: Fuck that company

Headline: Amazon charges tax
Comments: Fuck buying from them, I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Funny part though is the loopholes are at least legal.

Because its ok for us to be ripped a new asshole by the government but big companies get away with murder because the people that run them run the government.

Why don't you go shoplift at Walmart then? Not paying your taxes just gets offset by higher taxes, the majority of which will come from other people.

Back