Amazon Banning Sale Of Apple, Google Video-Streaming Devices

So if I'm a Prime subscriber or I pay to rent a movie I can't stream the stuff I pay you for through my choice of devices? Fuck off, Amazon!

But it's not like anyone couldn't have seen this coming. Amazon wants to be the next Apple-like walled garden.

Take your faux outrage elsewhere. This isn't Amazon, but Apple and Google not allowing Prime video on their respective streaming devices.

It took FOREVER to get a Prime Video app for Android, and when it did come out the install process was like a fucking Scott Adams Adventure Game.

Boy did I just date myself or what there...

Lol, actually got to meet him. And yeah - that took forever. I haven't tried updating the app but it seems like the new app put limitations on what you could do on android as well :p I am curious though if Amazon talked with Google/Apple about the poor support and when they got none... they did this?

The problem is Amazon isn't allowed to put an app on those devices in the first place. Meanwhile they allow Netflix. Amazon does have a point.

It really doesn't. Amazon is the one who refuses to release prime video on devices. There are so many threads on Amazon's site about people asking them to support this or that device that it's just comical at this point. The reason the Roku is still there is because the Roku used to be the only thing that could stream Amazon Prime Video. There wasn't FireTV or anything from Amazon at the time. Since it was the first, it basically has remained the only approved device from Amazon aside from Fire devices.

Amazon could release plugins for so many devices that are out there that the this notion that all of the HTPC units out there are blocking Amazon is worse than crazy. It's straight up nonsense.

Well, Apple wants a cut of Amazon's profits for every video sold using an App. Amazon does not want to pay that percentage. Thus, we have this duel.

Well, Apple wants a cut of Amazon's profits for every video sold using an App. Amazon does not want to pay that percentage. Thus, we have this duel.

Source? I would be interested in this request apple apparently made.

Also, google's was removed from sales as well by amazon. Do you also have this reason?

Also, google's was removed from sales as well by amazon. Do you also have this reason?

This is how it works, Apple gets a 30% cut of every in app purchase.

This is how it works, Apple gets a 30% cut of every in app purchase.

Yup. It's the same issue with e-books too. The app exists on the platform, but you can't make purchases through it. You have to load up Safari and go to Amazon's store on the web page.

Thanks!

But 4 years ago this happened, there has to be more politics/strategy than this to make them flip the off switch on apple and google receivers selling on the electronics store.

Maybe just a negative PR campaign. This goes all over the internets, then they change their mind and now everyone knows about amazon's new stuff and that they "listened to consumers"

That's when they stopped having in app purchases in their apps. This is the next step because niether is willing to budge.

Maybe Amazon, Apple, and Google should just merge into one Gigantic company ... the this problem would just go away

apocalypse-earth-exploding.jpg

We can only assume in some situations. The Amazon app on the Xbox does not allow you to purchase video. Xbox, Apple TV and Google STB ALL demand a cut and Amazon is not up to sharing. That was the reason behind their Fire TV boxes.

There are no other competing theories that make sense therefor, this is most likely the deal.

Thanks!

But 4 years ago this happened, there has to be more politics/strategy than this to make them flip the off switch on apple and google receivers selling on the electronics store.

Maybe just a negative PR campaign. This goes all over the internets, then they change their mind and now everyone knows about amazon's new stuff and that they "listened to consumers"

More people talking about the Chromecast/AppleTV than the new Fire TV.

Has Apple said they will block a prime app on AppleTV? Not that I've heard. And I'm sure Google hasn't blocked them from supporting chromecast. They just effectively stopped the talk about the competition.

It's not their job to decide what I can and can't buy.

I've already started loading up my Rakuten wish list, and started ignoring Amazon.

They might be a one stop shop, but this kinda goes against that, I'm glad to go elsewhere if they want to play that type of game.

#FirstWorldProblems

Actually, as a store front, it's their business to decide what they will or will not sell.

They operate more like a supplier for consumers up until big things like this show up...

It's both in their interest to sell all, and in their interest to sell their own, except people don't like the reasons for them making the rule change mid-game.

Take your faux outrage elsewhere. This isn't Amazon, but Apple and Google not allowing Prime video on their respective streaming devices.

I was surprised Amazon carried those competing products considering they refused to carry Amazon's competing service as long as they did. I guess Amazon was hoping they'd come around. Now that amazon is getting more serious in their devices, I guess it was time to reciprocate.

I was surprised Amazon carried those competing products considering they refused to carry Amazon's competing service as long as they did. I guess Amazon was hoping they'd come around. Now that amazon is getting more serious in their devices, I guess it was time to reciprocate.

I was under the impression that Amazon purposely purposely ignored developing their Prime Video apps Android TV and Chromecast.

Please advise. Curious. :confused:

How the fuck is it possible that people are defending Amazon here? This is anticompetitive bullshit, whether it actually rises to the level of being illegal or not. If Chromecast and AppleTV are purposely locking out Amazon on their devices (a hypothesis that requires evidence), that's their own business unless they advertise the opposite.

Amazon wants to sell more of their own devices and sell more of their video content. That's the bottom line. Is it really a coincidence that the two companies whose products they've decided to drop have their own services where people can buy videos? The exception of Roku is evidence of this.

There are some heads requiring removal from asses in this thread.

Let's not forget either how long it took Amazon to put their video streaming on Android proper despite Android being the basis for FireOS. It didn't happen until Bezos and his crew released a shitty FireOS phone that failed miserably. Had that phone done decent business, we could be looking at the delisting of Android and IOS devices on Amazon because they "don't support" Amazon Video..

How the fuck is it possible that people are defending Amazon here? This is anticompetitive bullshit, whether it actually rises to the level of being illegal or not. If Chromecast and AppleTV are purposely locking out Amazon on their devices (a hypothesis that requires evidence), that's their own business unless they advertise the opposite.

Amazon wants to sell more of their own devices and sell more of their video content. That's the bottom line. Is it really a coincidence that the two companies whose products they've decided to drop have their own services where people can buy videos? The exception of Roku is evidence of this.

There are some heads requiring removal from asses in this thread.

Soo.. Apple/Google locking Amazon out is "their business", but Amazon locking Google/Apple out is "OMGWTF anticompetitive!"

Gotcha.

Soo.. Apple/Google locking Amazon out is "their business", but Amazon locking Google/Apple out is "OMGWTF anticompetitive!"

Gotcha.
I think you may not understand the difference between building things and selling things. It's cool, the schools aren't great these days. You see, how it works is that a company might build something and then have other people sell it for them. The people who sell it make money every time they sell the product. Companies that sell things are typically willing to sell anything on which they make money, especially a company like Amazon that sells a monstrous variety of products and partners with other retailers to make it look like they sell almost everything. Retailers are not typically in a position to dictate features to companies building things for the retailers to sell.

As for "Apple/Google locking Amazon out," I just don't buy it without evidence. Amazon can say that these issues are all down to Apple and Google but, again, Bezos and company have already demonstrated a willingness to withhold apps from specific platforms when they think it's in their interest. Show me proof that Apple and Google are responsible for whatever issues Amazon is having with AppleTV and Chromecast; I might look more favorably on Amazon's position. As it is, I can't help but reach the tentative conclusion that they're lying.

This is clearly not the same situation given Amazon's primary business function.

QYYZJwMm.jpg

Gotcha.

Google kicked them primarily for sneaking in an Amazon App Store inside of the Google Play store.
- Google is not disallowing them the ability to push their Prime Video services (app) on its own.
- Amazon just doesn't want to support their service across Google devices apparently without being able to sneak in other things.
- Amazon is making it difficult for streaming services to compete, this is a direct shot at Google, given that they're still allowing other streaming devices to "compete."

Amazon is just pissy that Google refined their agreement to not allow app stores to be distributed via their play store (sensible change).
- You can still manually (easily) install the Amazon App store on your Android devices.
- Amazon's core business is selling stuff, including s*** that people don't need, making streaming is secondary (technically separate, including their devices). They clearly just want marketplace control for profit.
- People should make the choice, the uproar you're hearing is people making a choice one way or the other, both for and against Amazon's decision.

That being said I just picked up a Nexus Player from Walmart for $49.99, and unhooked my Fire TV, as I'm sure I can get $50 bucks for the heap of s***. However the remote build quality of the Fire TV is a tad better, but the function, responsiveness, and overall capability is pretty much the same so far. I can also voice search YouTube now so that's a plus for me.

I went with the Fire TV just to give Amazon a shot, and they have a pretty solid device, their business practices are just more questionable than others as of late... It's also my right as a consumer to determine what is and is not questionable to me.

p.s. If you want a device that works for all services, just get the latest and greatest Roku, it does what it does very well without the drama. Feature-wise it's just as solid, technically better given you can use most major stream services with it.

t6FwKfjm.png

In the spirit of not being too overly-mean-spirited I'm going to stop here. This can be refined back and forth as we progress.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
TBF i belive this is a last ditch attempt by Amazon to get their TV services to take off

TBF i belive this is a last ditch attempt by Amazon to get their TV services to take off

If only they'd focus on making sure it works well across the many devices people utilize... :rolleyes:

In the spirit of not being too overly-mean-spirited I'm going to stop here. This can be refined back and forth as we progress.

Careful with those manners: you might break the internet.

Thanks for the information as well.

This is clearly not the same situation given Amazon's primary business function.

QYYZJwMm.jpg

Google kicked them primarily for sneaking in an Amazon App Store inside of the Google Play store.
- Google is not disallowing them the ability to push their Prime Video services (app) on its own.
- Amazon just doesn't want to support their service across Google devices apparently without being able to sneak in other things.
- Amazon is making it difficult for streaming services to compete, this is a direct shot at Google, given that they're still allowing other streaming devices to "compete."
From you own link you identified two issues. The first that they tried to combine an app Store AND Instant Video into the shopping App. The fact that App Stores are not allowed equal footing to supposedly open source Android is a case study in hypocrisy right there. You have to check 'unknown sources' which automatically will scare aware 50+% of users and then sideload the store which shrinks the pools right there. Easy for [H] represents about 5% of users.

it really easy to assume Amazon tried to get Instant Video through the Google Store by both pushing the app indirectly via an included app store because they are otherwise blocked. Granted the app store is a violation of the Google Play exclusivity thing which is tied to the misrepresentation of Android as open source going back to the beginning. The other way was directly from the Shopping App itself. Both of which are shutdown.
So Amazon
- Offers the Instant Video app via sideload
- Tried to get the app on Google Play admittedly by breaking/bending the rules - Stopped by Google
- Tried to offer it directly from the Shopping App - Stopped by Google.
Kind of get the impression Amazon would like the App in the Play Store. Evidence otherwise please.

And you point out what was already in the OP they allow other streaming devices, which begs to say this is not about blocking streaming devices but something else.

Amazon is just pissy that Google refined their agreement to not allow app stores to be distributed via their play store (sensible change).
- You can still manually (easily) install the Amazon App store on your Android devices.
- Amazon's core business is selling stuff, including s*** that people don't need, making streaming is secondary (technically separate, including their devices). They clearly just want marketplace control for profit.
- People should make the choice, the uproar you're hearing is people making a choice one way or the other, both for and against Amazon's decision.
So "How Dare Amazon move into Google's space"!

That being said I just picked up a Nexus Player from Walmart for $49.99, and unhooked my Fire TV, as I'm sure I can get $50 bucks for the heap of s***. However the remote build quality of the Fire TV is a tad better, but the function, responsiveness, and overall capability is pretty much the same so far. I can also voice search YouTube now so that's a plus for me.
Cool story bro. Too bad few others have as well.

Children blurt stuff out and then run away so they have the last word but real life if often more important and an internet argument but aggrandizing yourself for it just silly.

Just another note, both Amazon and Google are hush about their relationship. the lack of smoking gun evidence for an opinion that opposes yours is not proof of yours.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since all three companies arent retailers like Amazon who is clearly an anti competitive company i better return that iphone 6s i bought on apple.com and chromecast i bought at google.com.

Wake me when apple.com or google.com carry a fire tv.

Children blurt stuff out and then run away so they have the last word but real life if often more important and an internet argument but aggrandizing yourself for it just silly.
Just another note, both Amazon and Google are hush about their relationship. the lack of smoking gun evidence for an opinion that opposes yours is not proof of yours.

I'm still here, and am I using the internet incorrectly? I forgot that [H] = 100% serious all the time...

KetFFDi.jpg

I went with the Fire TV just to give Amazon a shot, and they have a pretty solid device, their business practices are just more questionable than others as of late... It's also my right as a consumer to determine what is and is not questionable to me.

At any rate I thought that I was fairly clear on things being my opinion. Please forgive me if I wasn't clear, I promise to try harder next time.

We have lost our privacy and now we will lose our choice. When does this shit stop!

You have a choice, go buy the devices from somewhere else, no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to shop at Amazon.

Video Game Consoles are being allowed why?

Try "Reading" the article and you would see why? Also other people have noted it already...because "streaming works" on those devices.

And this might be the fall of Amazon's store. They are too picky about what they sell these days. I want a store where I can get everything.

But... what's the point if you never plan on buying it? If I want a Apple TV i'll go to Apple, If I want a Chromecast I'll go to Google store etc..

Back