Amazon 20GB cloud service 69 cents for the year PRICE ERROR?

Interesting. I just saw their 5GB free promo and signed up, then saw this, paid $.69 and it upped me to 20GB. Thanks OP.

It works for me. Just any album works, so yeah. the cheapest one

i got the glee song -_-

I "Bought" it, and told it to upload to cloudplayer (which I have not used before; it popped up the license agreement and so forth) but I don't see anything about a free 20gb upgrade. I tried manually going to the upgrade section to see if it would prompt it there, but it wanted the $20.

Unless I am missing the part where it gives you the upgrade, I don't think the free album works.

For those that already have it; How does the site usually present the free 20gb upgrade option to you after you've bought an album?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For those that have already it; How does the site usually present the free 20gb upgrade option to you after you've bought an album?

It doesn't, you have to go to your account settings and look at your cloud drive manually. I just bought the Drowning Pool track and it gave me the 20GB cloud drive.

Also I don't believe it's a price error because it clearly states that it's a "trial" and that it will expire a year from the day you make the purchase.

The reason i think its a pricing error is because its supposed to be for albums, and i doubt they wanted people buying one track albums (i think thats what we're doing here).

i might be wrong though.

I like that amazon mp3's don't count towards the limit so any mp3 you buy will have a back up. Only lame thing is that it isn't retroactive as far as I can tell all my amazon bought mp3 before this count towards the limit.

Just got the Drowning Pool track as well and I have the 20GB cloud drive until 3/29/12. Nice.

my first album purchase in years. This update actaully makes amazon match my opinion of what a music store *should* be now...

Is there a file size/type limit. I have a bunch of tax stuff etc. in encrypted virtual drives of about 1 Gb. Can I upload those?

Is there a file size/type limit. I have a bunch of tax stuff etc. in encrypted virtual drives of about 1 Gb. Can I upload those?

I would imagine you could simply change the extension to .mp3 and it would work. Just dont try to play it.

Does anyone know what the normal cost for this is? ~$0.50 for a year is nice, but I'd like to know what the year over year cost would be, and I'm having trouble finding that.

*Edit to Add* Found it. Yearly cost for 20 Gigs is $20.

I just bought an album for $12 that included some bonus tracks. I put it directly to the cloud.

This is awesome.

This is what iTunes should have been. (And will be).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

The file size limit is 2GB per file. Doesn't matter what it's called.

Seems basically useless in my case:

- no ogg or flac support
- no android or non-MS windows/Mac upload of files
- no upload of other than .mp3 or .aac files

So- you can store files you've bought with Amazon on amazon and download them later or stream them to Android. It's not like a 20GB drop box. Seems relatively worthless to me.

So- you can store files you've bought with Amazon on amazon and download them later or stream them to Android. It's not like a 20GB drop box. Seems relatively worthless to me.

Huh, so its not just general mass storage? Well that sucks. I dislike my Zune 80GB for the exact same reason (can only store certain files and not anything you want).

Seems basically useless in my case:

- no ogg or flac support
- no android or non-MS windows/Mac upload of files

You obviously didn't actually look at the service. There doesn't appear to be any file type restrictions.

Amazon Cloud Drive is your hard-drive in the cloud. Securely store your music, videos, photos, and documents online and access them from anywhere.

All you need is a web browser to upload, download and access your files from any computer. Back up your files to ensure that your music, photos and personal documents are available to you wherever you go.
Where did you see the mp3 or aac limit?

I believe they have a Cloud Player and General Cloud Storage.

The player probably only works with Amazon MP3. The general storage seems to take anything.

I just uploaded some excel and word documents to the cloud. I just uploaded a bunch of .jpg, .bmp, and .png files as well. It give you a file structure similar to windows. Documents, music, videos, etc. It pulls the files out really fast too for access later.

I love this new product. Consider me a fanboy. Especially since it was basically FREE for the first year.

someone see if this works. i cant try since i already have 20gb

FYI, if you have a 20GB+ plan already, you will receive a $20 credit (effectively giving you a free additional year if you are at 20GB now). That's what it says in the offer details, anyway.

FYI, if you have a 20GB+ plan already, you will receive a $20 credit (effectively giving you a free additional year if you are at 20GB now). That's what it says in the offer details, anyway.

I added the free album my account and did not receive a message regarding a $20 credit. Thing is though, I didn't subscribe with a monthly/yearly to the 20GB service. I bought a $5 album and got the trial for free. So, I doubt the $20 credit applies to my situation.

You obviously didn't actually look at the service. There doesn't appear to be any file type restrictions.

Where did you see the mp3 or aac limit?

I believe they have a Cloud Player and General Cloud Storage.

The player probably only works with Amazon MP3. The general storage seems to take anything.

Well, that's what I get for not reading. :eek:

This looks awesome after all, and the file size limit appears to be much better than Windows Live Skydrive (50MB vs 2GB).

Says the deal is good through December 2011. I don't have a need for this now, as far as I can tell. I'll keep this in mind before the deal expires. Thanks OP.

Great, past Amazon MP3 purchases are not backed up unless you do it manually and waste space. Thank you Amazon.com.

Just got the 20GB, and you can, in fact, upload anything you want. This MIGHT wind up being a replacement for my 4GB thumb drive. Will have to use it more and see.

Does anyone know if theres a Dropbox-like application that lets you sync to Amazon's cloud storage? Also, is it possible to link to items you have stored?

I'll stick with dropbox. Got 20GB on my free acct :)

Dropbox uses Amazon S3 storage anyways.

Dont see how this is a big deal considering Microsoft has had free 20gb Skydrive accounts for years now,,,

Thanks for alerting me to yet more free music (e.g. an entire Sister Hazel album and some group called Quarterfly)

Dont see how this is a big deal considering Microsoft has had free 20gb Skydrive accounts for years now,,,

The one big difference is that this Amazon account allows you to stream your MP3 collection via web browser or Android app.

Skydrive has a file size limit of 50MB. Amazon's has a file size limit of 2GB. I consider that to be a big deal compared to Skydrive.

disclosure statement for Amazon Cloud Drive:

You give us the right to access, retain, use and disclose your account information and Your Files

We may also restrict your access to the Service if we determine that your use of the Service violates this Agreement or substantially exceeds normal use by other users

In other words, True Crypt is your friend when using the Amazon Cloud Drive

Worked for me! 19.5GB free after uploading some stuff (and after buying that .70c Glee album)

Can anyone comment on upload speed? Obviously your connection may be limiting, but what speeds have you seen?

Back