Alphabet's Market Cap Tops Apple's

HardOCP News

[H] News
When it comes to market capitalization, Google has just topped Apple to become the world’s largest publicly-traded company. For those of you keeping track at home, this is the second time since the beginning of February that Alphabet has snagged the lead from Apple.

Alphabet's market cap overtook Apple's on Thursday morning. The Google parent's market cap was about $498.56 billion, compared with $496.69 billion for Apple. Shares of Apple hit a fresh 52-week intraday low of $89.89 in the session as they dipped below $90 per share for the first time since June 2014.

and Alphabet continues to be a ridiculously overvalued one trick wonder. Just like in February, it won't last.

and Alphabet continues to be a ridiculously overvalued one trick wonder. Just like in February, it won't last.
Exactly which one trick are they a wonder of? The Google search engine? Android? Google fiber? Self driving cars? Advertising?

Kinda funny that Google paid Apple 1 Billion dollars to be the default search engine on Apple.

Exactly which one trick are they a wonder of? The Google search engine? Android? Google fiber? Self driving cars? Advertising?

Search engine and advertising. They don't make jack squat on the rest of their businesses. Sure they are good products, but from a profit perspective they are worthless.

Anyways, as an apple stock holder I don't like to see them down, but I'll just keep collecting my dividend and not panic sell or anything stupid. They aren't going anywhere and they are already valued very low for the tech sector. IMO they are entering oversold territory. Good news is if the rest of the market tanks, I don't see them following. Not sure what news will/could come out to get them going back up though.

Advertising (their revenue generated from spying, profiling, and targeting), up since Android users aren't "anonymized" and can be even more lucrative targets.
Google makes 90% of their revenue from Advertising, they have largely failed at every attempt to diversify their revenue.
It sure gives an idea just how big the incentive is for their privacy invading practices. It makes the laws they break and the competitors products they hack their way around seem almost reasonable in context. The incentive to misbehave is just too great.

Not anymore.. the market goes back again....

wonder whats the point of these kind of news. Stock flip flop so much that this kind of news will just come out every other week...

Search engine and advertising. They don't make jack squat on the rest of their businesses. Sure they are good products, but from a profit perspective they are worthless.

Anyways, as an apple stock holder I don't like to see them down, but I'll just keep collecting my dividend and not panic sell or anything stupid. They aren't going anywhere and they are already valued very low for the tech sector. IMO they are entering oversold territory. Good news is if the rest of the market tanks, I don't see them following. Not sure what news will/could come out to get them going back up though.

Android allows them to push advertising to mobile platforms. YouTube is now a bigger advertising platform than TV for advertisers' prime demographic. From a profit perspective they are far from worthless. They allow Google/Alphabet to control the platforms they're pushing advertising to from end to end.

Google Fiber mostly exists to push other providers to offer higher speeds and do away with caps which would be massively beneficial to YouTube and other video providers which will benefit Google's advertising in the long run but I don't see them staying in that business forever. It's a market they entered because they felt they had to. The self-driving car project is kind of left field but it also happens to be a pet project of one of their founders that may or may not turn into something non-advertising related (one would hope) down the road. Investors expect companies to be constantly pushing into new markets.

and it didn't even survive the day. Apple was ahead at market close (if only barely)

Back