After 15 Years, eBay Plans to Cut Off PayPal as Its Main Payments Processor

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
eBay has announced that is abandoning long-time partner PayPal for Adyen, a Dutch payments company that counts Uber, Netflix, and Spotify among its clientele. The change is supposed to give eBay more control over payments and reduce costs for sellers. Buyers will also be granted more checkout options.

After the existing eBay-PayPal agreement ends in 2020, PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers on eBay, but it won’t be prominently featured ahead of debit and credit card options as it is today. PayPal will cease to process card payments for eBay at that time. PayPal’s stock dropped as much as 12 percent on the news in after-market trading.

Reality check: Sellers will end up being charged more in the long run. Also there will be less protection now that PayPal is not going to be the most advertised option. eBay is as incompetent as Microsoft, the main differences is MS offers services and products that have become industry standard whereas eBay instead relies on sellers. One day eBay will screw over too many sellers and their platform will loose everything and they'll be too dumb to realize it.

I gave up long ago on e-bay even with the protections they provide it was too much hassle too many con-people selling. I did get my OLED TV from an e-bay seller, but used a regular credit card and instant buy. It was fun early on got some good deals, but those went away and people started bidding up things past regular retail price...auctions make people crazy.

Paypal has made it to the top of my most hated companys list so honestly anything that helps push them out is fine by me.

Reality check: Sellers will end up being charged more in the long run. Also there will be less protection now that PayPal is not going to be the most advertised option. eBay is as incompetent as Microsoft, the main differences is MS offers services and products that have become industry standard whereas eBay instead relies on sellers. One day eBay will screw over too many sellers and their platform will loose everything and they'll be too dumb to realize it.

I dont belive its possible to offer much less seller pretection then paypal curently does. in its curent state it seams equally risky to just ship items out and hope they pay later.

The only two types of items that I go to EBay for are OEM laptop parts and SFP+ Intel cards and cables -- very cheap and reliable out of China. Otherwise no longer useful.

I used a PayPal account years ago to sell some books and stuff and they were a real rip off and would only allow you a small amount of money to go to your bank over time.

I don't know what sort of hellish website y'all been using, but I use ebay all the time and I've never had a problem, as a buyer or a seller.

I've had an issue here or there on both ends. Not nearly the level required to stop using, though.

Yeah, not thrilled about this news, but ebay and paypal have been getting more and more seller-hostile over the last 10 years or so.

I think I do about equal amounts selling and buying there, and as a buyer, I appreciate that ebay/paypal generally just sides with me. But I also get annoyed in cases where, for instance, "the seller is no longer registered on ebay", the item was never marked shipped, but I still have to "wait a month until the last expected delivery date before you can open a case."

On the flipside, as a seller, it annoys me that there's no way to change return reasons when a buyer opens a request for "not as described" or "broken" when there's clearly no issue, because doing this allows them to avoid paying my restock fee. And if ebay is willing to give a seller "no longer registered on ebay" the benefit of the doubt when an item isn't even marked as shipped, why are they so unwilling to let an established seller with a nearly 20 year old account charge a restock fee when a buyer has admitted they didn't actually read the description and just assumed a part was compatible?

Fact is, the platform is so big that for all the complaining sellers do, if they want to get their items "available" to as large a market as possible, they can't ignore ebay.

Unfortunately what started out as a platform for a bunch of individuals to buy and sell their stuff has turned into a marketplace dominated by businesses, whether big or small. Those of us just trying to clear crap off of our shelves can keep using it or not, but no one will really notice if we stop. :(

I'll keep using it, just because if I really need to clear stuff out, ebay is far more effective than bumping posts in a trade forum and hoping someone sees it. The problems I've had are rare. Maddening when they happen, but rare enough that it's still worth my time.

About the only things I get there anymore is stuff from China, used console games, and occasional repair parts.

I made so much weekend party money selling bootleg live concert CDrs on eBay back in undergrad. That was before PayPal, and I only took Western Union and USPS money orders. Man, I miss the turn of the millenium internet.

Great, I was already very uneasy when I had to order something from ebay. Last time I tried ordering something it fell trough, thankfully I got my money back. But that's just dumb luck The seller advertised 1 week shipping, but after they withdrew the amount from my card, nothing happened for two weeks, they didn't ship anything. When I inquired wtf is going on the seller claimed there were problems with their suppliers.
Anyway long story short: I don't trust ebay, and without paypal I won't even try ordering there. Well maybe items under $10 at most so that it doesn't hurt much when I don't actually get them.

I've already shifted most of My buying to Amazon, some items I'll still get from ebay, though I will never use ebays new replacement for PayPal, 2020 or not, Adyen, spits on ground, never...

I pretty much only use ebay for random parts I need for various projects.. and the odd Chinese audio products (t-amps..etc)

i am about done with ebay

everything from china i buy is always 4 months of shipping.

1-2 weeks to here and 3 and half months of customs.

as far as buying from the states their agreement with pitney bowes adds on a whole new level of fuck you with international shipping charges that boggle the mind.

as far as buying from the states their agreement with pitney bowes adds on a whole new level of fuck you with international shipping charges that boggle the mind.

As a seller, that global shipping program is fucked. They screw the buyers over, take forever, charge too much, then the seller gets the negative feedback because of ebays bullshit shipping program. I refuse to use it because I can lose my top seller rating and then pay even more for selling fees for fuckups out of my control.

Never been a fan of paypal, but this sounds like ebay trying to muscle a deal out of paypal. Hard to believe they are gong to something called Adyen. I'm getting old and not really up with the times, but I haven't even heard of Adyen. At the end of the day, it's all about saving money... but not our money as an end user.

Never been a fan of paypal, but this sounds like ebay trying to muscle a deal out of paypal. Hard to believe they are gong to something called Adyen. I'm getting old and not really up with the times, but I haven't even heard of Adyen. At the end of the day, it's all about saving money... but not our money as an end user.

I think it's also indicative of a move to encourage international selling. I sell a lot of old hardware on there and only do so domestically, even though I get tons of good offers from people especially in South America and Eastern Europe. PayPal just isn't up to the task, but Adyen is more experienced with international commerce.

I thought eBay and Paypal were one in the same as far as ownership?

Used to be. Paypal got spun off a few years ago with an agreement to keep working with Ebay until some magic future time. That time is getting close, thus the announcement.

Never had a problem with buying anything off Ebay. Last few purchases just used a normal CC through Paypal.

I've started making two listings for things I have multiple of. One with eBay's global shipping program and one with standard international shipping. Apparently the global shipping program is cheaper for the buyer as I have yet to have one international sale for the one with the standard international shipping listing.

That being said, shipping internationally from the USA is crazy expensive.. but not really any more than shipping from Canada to the USA.

The reason shipping from China is so cheap is that they are still under a special shipping agreement that was put in place decades ago in order to help them build international trade.

Go ahead and compare shipping from Japan... it is a huge difference in price... like 20x+ more to ship from Japan than from China.

I don't know what sort of hellish website y'all been using, but I use ebay all the time and I've never had a problem, as a buyer or a seller.
When ebay first started, I payed for a book and never received it. First of my online purchases for that matter. First and last from ebay. Not worth the potential headache imo.

When ebay first started, I payed for a book and never received it. First of my online purchases for that matter. First and last from ebay. Not worth the potential headache imo.
And I have had 100% of positive experiences with Ebay. Sure free shipped stuff from China sometimes take time but that's for granted.

As a seller, that global shipping program is fucked. They screw the buyers over, take forever, charge too much, then the seller gets the negative feedback because of ebays bullshit shipping program. I refuse to use it because I can lose my top seller rating and then pay even more for selling fees for fuckups out of my control.

I don't sell or buy overseas any more because of garbage like this. I got burned once and never looked back.

I do check eBay out when I'm buying stuff - you can sometimes get a better deal (although shipping is usually at least going to take a week).

I used to sell stuff on ebay, but then I get screwed over. I sold a guy some stuff and he claimed none of it worked. I had tested everything (and even included screen shots of it working). The dude never contacted me. He complained to Ebay that I sold him broken stuff. Ebay immediately sided with the buyer. I basically had no recourse. As a result, ebay can fuck off.

Hell, I bought a few things from the [H]ardForum last year and was having getting a motherboard to start up. I contacted the guy that sold it to me - we emailed back and forth a few times. We got it working. The guy was probably going to refund me had it not worked. That's how you do it.

This is kind of fake news. The agreement goes both ways. Nothing changes for PayPals branded payment processing. The unbranded transaction processing will change. However, this releases paypal from several anti competition clauses in their previous contract with ebay. Its really a win for paypal in the long run. Tying paypals future to ebay is a mistake and they know it.

They have really screwed over sellers in the name of buyers protection over the years leaving the sellers no recourse. Paypal has done some very shady stuff when it comes to hanging on to money. With being a seller it comes down to luck. Most people are honest, if someone wants to scam you though ebay is going to help them.

If you buy and sell many things, paypal can be a pain in the ass. I've had bad experiences as a seller .The buyer said he never received the item , got his money and I lost (plus the asshole left me negative feedback to boot). I stopped selling for this reason.

I still buy bits and bobs (spare corporate PC/laptop parts mostly) on Ebay but I gave up selling about 10 years ago as I could see where it was headed. I never got scammed selling but I think it was only a matter of time.

It's a shame as I just have masses of old PC/laptop junk I could sell that's built up from running a PC support business for 9 years.

I now just go through it all every year and toss out the oldest most obsolete in the trash.

That's funny PayPal fees (while still very high) are pennies compared to ebay's own fees

I've used Ebay and my crafty wife loves it as she gets stuff not normally easily for sale like crafting materials and such. Without Pay Pal though I'm not sure I'd use Ebay. Granted PAypal isn't going away but just not going to be the main payment option and whatever that means for buyers and sellers I guess we shall see.

Back