Advice on Thinkpad purchase..

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
I've owned many laptops but I've heard very good things about thinkpad for their overall design, durability, reliability.. Keyboards, Etc.

I was looking for a very balanced machine, just running windows 7, don't need a ultra book for anything. What would just be a good, robust all around balanced thinkpad? One with a DVD drive still, upgradable HDD/RAM. I heard the T series would be good, and there's also a edge series.

I think I'd like to consider a 14" screen.

Also purchasing them off lenovos site seems kinda pricey. I was thinking of maybe snagging a refurb off ebay for a cheaper price, maybe grabbing a 2011 or 2012 model with a 900p display for a cheaper price.

What would be some good models to look into and a good place to buy a thinkpad?

T series should meet your needs as long as you don't need more raw power. Pretty balanced machines with a lot of different options with regard to cpu, hd, screen res, etc. Then you will want something like the W540. Hard to get specific on models without some more details on your use cases.

I purchased an x230t brand new from the Lenovo Outlet and got an amazing deal last spring. Would highly recommend outlet. Deals are hit and miss, so you will have to be patient. I know it took awhile to find a new x230t at the price I got it. Might not have that issue looking for T or W series, as the x230t was not on outlet often.

Good luck!

I'm just going for a strong robust computer to handle most basic tasks and just make them trivial in the process, web / email / office, some HD video, some very light photo editing and burning DVD/CDs. Definitely want to get one with a 900p display.

Would ebay be a good place to consider with refurbs as well? I've seen some good ones listed with attractive prices , just want to make sure I'm not running into anything bad though.

Lenovo has an outlet site that will occasionally run some decent specials. I want to say they come with a decent manufacturer warranty as well, but check the fine print on that.

Lenovo has an outlet site that will occasionally run some decent specials. I want to say they come with a decent manufacturer warranty as well, but check the fine print on that.

Mine came with standard manuf wty. Only caveat that I am aware of is that they will not offer extended wty on outlet items. If you would want to extend, you would need to utilize squaretrade, etc.

Have you considered other manufacturers or do you need to stick to Lenovo. I am just saying as I have MSI currently, and the last one I had was a 14" model of theirs. The have a ton of model options and there are custom shops who sell custom versions for those who wish to control the options. The build quality is great as well and the hold up to my abuse which is a win for me.

Back