Advice on headphones for gaming + rap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omerta

[H]ard|Gawd
I want good headphones for gaming and rap music...people on head-fi are suggesting $1000 dollar plus headphones, so I'm wondering if people here might have any more sane suggestions?

The Sennheiser HD555s are a good place to start, I believe around $100. If you can find the HD580s (discontinued) online, they would be a fantastic deal. The Senns are open-air and circumaural, so you can wear them for hours without feeling discomfort.

I'd grab a pair of DT770-80s, personally. Deep bass for hip hop + excellent soundstage for gaming...can't go wrong. They go for ~$150 on ebay.

i got hd555 and if you want really nice ones you can get sennheiser hd 595 or 650s. 595s are around 150 online and 650 a bit more. However... they're VERY VERY comfortable

I'd grab a pair of DT770-80s, personally. Deep bass for hip hop + excellent soundstage for gaming...can't go wrong. They go for ~$150 on ebay.

i own the DT770-80 as well and i absolutely love them. tons of bass. htomega striker -> SPDIF -> yamaha RX-V365 -> BD770-80

Really hard to go wrong with the Beyerdynamic DT770-Pro/80-ohm models.

If you are looking for something even cheaper check out the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 (They are the same). They go for around $70 and can be found at places like Fry's electronics.

I just bought these in guitar center for 169 but they charged me 14$ for tax :(

I am just wondering if I need a DAC or Amp to make my music sound better. (I am using them for the same usage as OP but I am listening to dubstep)

I just bought these in guitar center for 169 but they charged me 14$ for tax :(

I am just wondering if I need a DAC or Amp to make my music sound better. (I am using them for the same usage as OP but I am listening to dubstep)

which cans are you referring to?

DT770-80 is probably what im gonna go with...maybe a senn 650 if I can find a deal for one on head-fi

check out ebay for good deals on brand new DT770-80s. i got mine for $150 last fall.

as a side note, i've never used the senn 650s, but i hear that they don't have as much bass as the DT770-80s. however, i hear that the 650s have a better overall soundstage. i'm still 100% satisfied with the DT-770-80s. :) btw - head-fi will drive one nuts after a while. :)

The sennheiser 650 are really not bass cans in any way compared to the DT770's. I had a chance to try a pair of 650s after listening to my DT770's for a while and my impression was "WTF MIDRANGE" compared to the DT770s that is practically all you hear and it is rather in-your-face. They are really not ideal for rap or rock to say the least. I'm sure they sound great listening to female vocals and classical music. The Sennheiser 650's had even less bass than my DT990' which are open cans...

The sennheiser 650 are really not bass cans in any way compared to the DT770's. I had a chance to try a pair of 650s after listening to my DT770's for a while and my impression was "WTF MIDRANGE" compared to the DT770s that is practically all you hear and it is rather in-your-face. They are really not ideal for rap or rock to say the least. I'm sure they sound great listening to female vocals and classical music. The Sennheiser 650's had even less bass than my DT990' which are open cans..

650s are actually overly-bassy, IMO, but you need to be feeding them adequate current through a decent amp to really unlock their potential.

650s are actually overly-bassy, IMO, but you need to be feeding them adequate current through a decent amp to really unlock their potential.

Well in my case I was driving them with a Little-Dot II++ tube headphone amplifier that is rated up to 600ohms and has 300mw power output (at 300ohms). That is something like 10 times more powerful than an iPod (for example).

Well in my case I was driving them with a Little-Dot II++ tube headphone amplifier that is rated up to 600ohms and has 300mw power output (at 300ohms). That is something like 10 times more powerful than an iPod (for example).

The only time I've ever heard 650s was out of a RSA Apache and a high end DAC, not sure of model. The 650s were balanced XLR, too. I thought the 650s were just too bassy for the type of headphone they are...to my ears, the 600s were much more neutral and enjoyable to listen to.

Some that are never mentioned are the Equation RP-22x.I mean if you can swing the Beyerdynamics then go for those.But the Equations are supposed to be a good cheaper substitute.

sweet man. hope you like them. :)

Thanks man. But I was wondering if I would get a better quality if I got a dac and/or amp. Right now I am just using onboard hd audio. Again I have hd555 and dt770pro-80(soon).

For rap, I wouldn't reconmend HD555's.

Instead look for something closed to give you a nice detailed punch in bass.

There are:

Audio Technica A700
Beyer DT770
Shure 440,840
Denon D1001

Any of them will do better than HD555's for rap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back