A Picture I took 2016

What's funny is, that "shoot" reminded me why I'm an amatuer - shot a buncha landscapes in shutter priority.... Doh! Nearly everything was wide open. SMH. Things coulda been so much sharper. You'd think after 10 years of hobby, I'd remember the basics!

Picasa Web Albums - Brendan Bayne - June 19 Whidb...

Haha, I'm in Alaska right now and the only bear we found on the whole trip, I shot at 400mm and a shutter speed of 1/200. Ugh, blur-city. I was actually trying that time by looking at my aperture and ISO, just missed the SS.

Usually I'll shoot a full set of something and realize I forgot to change from ISO 6400 from the night before or something. Just gotta laugh and move on. Lots more pics to be made.

Thanks for the kind words on my first Air Show pics from the other day. Full set now up. Lot of work to cull and edit, I think a lot of em are a bit too blue, will see when printed. Think I get rid of most of the fuzz tho.
16-OC Air Show

16-OC-AirShow-0291
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

16-OC-AirShow-1306

16-OC-AirShow-1499

16-OC-AirShow-1729

16-OC-AirShow-1893

16-OC-AirShow-2107

16-OC-AirShow-2231

16-OC-AirShow-2517

16-OC-AirShow-2585

16-OC-AirShow-2588

16-OC-AirShow-2927

16-OC-AirShow-3168

16-OC-AirShow-3458

16-OC-AirShow-3649

Haha, I'm in Alaska right now and the only bear we found on the whole trip, I shot at 400mm and a shutter speed of 1/200. Ugh, blur-city. I was actually trying that time by looking at my aperture and ISO, just missed the SS.

Usually I'll shoot a full set of something and realize I forgot to change from ISO 6400 from the night before or something. Just gotta laugh and move on. Lots more pics to be made.

Yea been there done that. What I normally do is before I even walk out the door I grab the camera and throw on some generic settings for what I might be shooting. If it's super bright outside you could use aperture priority with ISO 100, F/8 and you'd probably end up with a shutter speed around 1/1000 I'm guessing. That should give you a few stops either way where the camera will automatically adjust. If you're against a darker background I just bump the ISO up to like 800 or 1600 as both of those have little effect on IQ. The main thing is just find a setting where the shutter is in the middle of the range so you can pick up the camera and click off a few shots without even thinking about settings. If you have time after that then you can start playing with the dials, but usually with wildlife you're just going to have to get a bit lucky just to get the shot in the first place.

BB Gun: I really like those landscape shots! That last one is well composed and has a great balance to it. So many times I see someone overdo the saturation, that one is spot on IMO.

Thanks for the kind words on my first Air Show pics from the other day. Full set now up. Lot of work to cull and edit, I think a lot of em are a bit too blue, will see when printed. Think I get rid of most of the fuzz tho.

Good exposure and comp on most of these. Tip, though, don't shoot prop planes at same shutter speed as jets, or you get frozen prop syndrome, as above. 1/320 is about the fastest you should shoot, and the slower the better. It's not easy due to having to track the aircraft much better, but it gets you good prop blur and background blur if there is background present. I'm now regularly shooting a 1/250 and have even pushed it as low as 1/125. Though that slow, parallax effect become visible within the length of the aircraft if they're close enough - where nose/cockpit is sharp but tail is motion blurred.

BB

BB Gun: I really like those landscape shots! That last one is well composed and has a great balance to it. So many times I see someone overdo the saturation, that one is spot on IMO.

Thanks, I dislike the over tone mapped and oversaturated pics as well, and strive to avoid it. However, I have yet to figure out how Daggah and a couple others here do what they do. Well saturated, sharp and contrasty without being too much of any.

BB

Last edited:
Good exposure and comp on most of these. Tip, though, don't shoot prop planes at same shutter speed as jets, or you get frozen prop syndrome, as above. 1/320 is about the fastest you should shoot, and the slower the better. It's not easy due to having to track the aircraft much better, but it gets you good prop blur and background blur if there is background present. I'm now regularly shooting a 1/250 and have even pushed it as low as 1/125. Though that slow, parallax effect become visible within the length of the aircraft if they're close enough - where nose/cockpit is sharp but tail is motion blurred.

BB

Thanks, will keep that in mind next time!

Thanks, will keep that in mind next time!

As I was learning, I took my "safe" 1/320 shot. Then I slowed it down on each subsequent pass looking for bigger "pie slices" of prop and better background or smoke blur (if any). These days, since I see the airplanes around here a LOT (which is a very cool and appreciated situation), I'm trying the more extreme speeds right up front.

Note that on bright sunny days, shooting at shutter priority, you're going to end up stopped way, way down, so make sure your sensor is clean. I've hit F20 on some shots which don't look so great as I think I hit the diffraction limit for that particular camera/lens combo, plus ALL THE DIRT! Alternatively, grab a circular polarizer or ND filter to cut down on the light coming in at those slow shutter speeds so you can stick to the usual f-7-ish to f-10-ish sweet spot of most lenses.

BB

20160623_GraniteReefDam.jpg

IMG_0098_Logo.jpg

JStamsek - is the second one a blended image? If not, what focal length/aperture? Thanks.

The second one is Canon 6D with the 17-40mm lens @ 40mm. F/14. 4 seconds. Not blended.

I've been toying with Capture One Pro instead of Lightroom and very much like what I'm seeing.

I'm pleasantly surprised by my Note 5 camera. Here are my favorite "cell phone" pics from the trip.

20160622_113630 by J Horton, on Flickr

20160623_074323 by J Horton, on Flickr
^I got out my 70D to duplicate this in better quality, but due to the lens size, I couldn't get the same reflections in the glass.

20160614_193643 by J Horton, on Flickr
^click for bigger res. Flickr won't display full size, so feel free to download for all the detail

20160613_111117 by J Horton, on Flickr

Back from Alaska, lots of pics coming as I have time to edit. Went straight for these though. What an amazing experience.

IMG_3537 by J Horton, on Flickr

Damn I'm jealous of this one! I'm not joking when I'd say I'd frame that and hang it on the wall.

This one is awesome.

Agreed. I skipped over it at first but went back and looked at the full size one. The smaller version doesn't do that picture justice. This one is as impressive as the eagle one simply because of the posing.

EDIT: Actually scratch that, the more I look at the moose picture, the more I like it. Probably even more than that amazing eagle one.

Last edited:
Made a late decision for a drive down to Crystal Mountain's summit restaurant. Made an even later decision to head up to Sunrise at Mount Rainier. Clouds didn't behave for us and we got to Sunrise a bit late. Tried to make the best of it.

2016_07_02-rainier-drive-1643.jpg

2016_07_02-rainier-drive-1652.jpg

2016_07_02-rainier-drive-1671.jpg

2016_07_02-rainier-drive-1709.jpg

2016_07_02-rainier-drive-1723.jpg

B&W, IMO. The color one looks good, but does not make the impact the B&W does.

I too prefer the black and white version, but can't help wondering if a non-HDR colour version might be even better.

Curious what method you fireworks shooters used. Did you use bulb mode and a hat, uncovering the lens when a firework went?

Bulb mode, and about 1 or 2 sec captures with a shutter release cable, on a tripod. And I mistakenly used a 12mm lens when a nice 24-70 would have done fine. No filter set the exposure comp to +1 iso 100 f18 or there abouts.

I took this image a few years ago with a d5100 and a 16-85 lens(great lens btw) 3.9sec shutter speed f11 and iso 100 at 18mm.
Fireworks by Domingo Washington, on Flickr

What Domingow said.

Bulb mode, NR off, ISO200, f11, manual focus set to infinity, and cable release.

Most are 1-2 seconds, with only a few of them a bit longer.

Back