A new meaning for "dead pixel"?

Gibbage

Limp Gawd
OK. This is a first for me. Been a PC tech for over 10 years, so I am not new at this :D

So I got my nice Dell FPW2005, and its FLAWLESS! Yay! No dead pixels. So I have been working with it for about 2 months now, no problem. Today, I noticed something..... Odd. Something.... Moving. I look close, and it looks like a dead pixel! Not black, just dark.... Then IT MOVED!! I try to brush it away from the screen, but nothing. I look VERY close, and its not on the surface of the monitor!!!

From the randomness of the movement, it can only be a bug. An Insect. A very SMALL one. Less then 1 pixel since it does not darken the complete pixel as it moves. It traveled from lower right, to lower left, and then up the left side till it reached the center and just STOPPED!

For some time, I was rooting the little bugger on. Hoping he would find his way OFF my damn screen. But no, he has stopped and has not moved for about 1 hour.... I fear he may be dead, and STUCK there!!!! UGH! On one of the RARE perfect Dell FPW2005's a BUG crawls in and SCREWS me.

The only thing I can guess at is that he is between the backlight and the LCD panel itself. So now I have a little dark spot. Is there anyone that can suggest what I can do about this? I doubt Dell would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

dellbug.jpg

Can you push it around? There is still a chance that it is an electronic defect. If you cant push it, call dell, they have a zero dead pixel policy and will replace it.

Maybe if you had shut your monitor off it wouldn't have killed him:)

dariob said:
Can you push it around? There is still a chance that it is an electronic defect. If you cant push it, call dell, they have a zero dead pixel policy and will replace it.

It wont be pushed. Tapping at it does nothing now. My only problem is that #1, I got it new off of E-bay and #2, its such a perfect monitor. I read through the 100+ pages on the FPW2005 thread and that monitors they get back are sometimes iffy at best.

Do you think Dell would be willing to help someone who did not buy directly from them? I asked the dude selling it first and he said its still covered under there warrantee. I know that when I worked at some PC stores, we would give 2nd hand owners (even new resellers) hard times unless they baught it directly from us. I have not delt with Dell's support at all.

I do have some LIMITED experance working on laptop displays. My concerns are that I open the case and the LCD glass is sealed onto the backlight. A lot of notebooks had shielding take around the edges (IBM was big about doing this to EVERYTHING!) and also that would void the warrantee if something big happened.

Ugh. STUPID BUG! If you die in there, I WILL KILL YOU! wait.....

So don't tell them that you didn't buy it directly from them. How would they know? Tell em you got it as a gift.

maybe its dust or something under the screen, i would just not worry about it since your 2005 has no other issues which is pretty rare

I've heard some of these new computers have RAID. Did you try spraying a little? :rolleyes:

Gibbage said:
I know that when I worked at some PC stores, we would give 2nd hand owners (even new resellers) hard times unless they baught it directly from us. I have not delt with Dell's support at all.
So you're one of them . . . and you're one of us now? :eek: I always wondered why some people became such a**holes in retail and forgot what it was like to be the customer.

To be constructive, some places take a position that a product less than a year old is so new that they are all in warranty, and they may not hassle you for a receipt. Just don't let on that you were ever one of them (well, one of 'the bad ones' at any rate).

whats the big deal..i go 2 chips im my CTR... dosnt bother me..but then again i jsut game on it.

This is exactly like the gray pixel I have on my 2405FPW. It is a pixel defect I believe. It's not dust or anything you can get off the coating - though dust can sometimes appear similar to that.

I'm getting mine exchanged because this gray pixel is in a spot I don't want to live with.

Riptide_NVN said:
This is exactly like the gray pixel I have on my 2405FPW. It is a pixel defect I believe. It's not dust or anything you can get off the coating - though dust can sometimes appear similar to that.

I'm getting mine exchanged because this gray pixel is in a spot I don't want to live with.

You did not read my post, did you? Dont dont walk around.

No I know it doesn't walk around but it looks very similar to mine in appearance. That's all I'm saying.

Is there anyone here who hasn't heard of Rip's pixel. :rolleyes: If you were new to the forum, you might think the 2405 had a pixel problem with the number of times it's been mentioned by him or in a reply to him in the threads I've reviewed. I'm calling Dell tomorrow to check on Rip's new panel. :p

I have been hitting the board pretty heavy since the 2405 was unleashed. Just havin' a little fun with ya, mate. Can I count on you to let me know how it turns out?

OW!!! He is on the move again! I turned off the monitor for about 1 hour. It was difficult to be without a PC for that long, but I went and picked on my wife to pass the time. So I come back, turn the monitor on, and he is still there in the same spot. So I start posting on another forum, and he runs accross my mouse as I was typing! HE IS ALIVE!!! He went too the dead center of the screen, but now I lost him. I cant find him.... I hope he found his way the HELL OFF MY MONITOR!!!

Did I ever tell you about the guy who set a bug-bomb off INSIDE his new Pentium PC because he thought a bug was INSIDE? Ya. Both the power supply fan and CPU cooler fan siezed from all the junk inside and fried his system. Kinda reminds me of this... But I would not be that stupid...

God I have a million "stupid user" story's. Yall have a forum for that?

P.S. I was not the asshole tech. I always tried to help the customers, even out of warrantee. But my employer was another story.

Maybe I should ask....

have you drank any strange kool-aid lately?

j/k :)

Ow man. I thought he came back, but it was just the digital photo I took.

dariob said:
So don't tell them that you didn't buy it directly from them. How would they know? Tell em you got it as a gift.

Cause when a product with a serial # is purchased from dell, it is linked to a dell account. - I.e. when Joe Smith buys monitor DFP2005W-124917153912 and then suzy blue calls up for support, they say "Wait, this isn't your monitor"

I worked for dell for 2 years.

First question we asked was "What is your service tag"

[or serial #]

"What is your name"

[Oh, sorry sir, that doesn't match. I cannot help you. Dell support is for registered owner only. If you need support, you will have to get the original owner to call in and transfer the item into your name]

"How would they know you didn't buy it" -- What, do you think they are a bunch of apes? - Come on.. there are these things called computers that keep large lists [we call them databases] of everything sold, and to whom.

I once had a bug crawling around the inside of my widescreen HDTV (CRT). It was there for just a day and then disappeared. I don't think a bug will stay inside there if there isn't any food around and it would seem unlikely it would die right on the screen.

bugs are dumb, they are attracted by light, and can't find their way out often. Best suggestion, turn off the moniter, and put a lamp facing some ventilation holes in the moniter. Hopefully the light will attract him out.

Look up at the light fixture, see the little dead bugs in there? Look at your window sill, see the little dead bugs on it.

All attracted to light and just sat there, until they dried up & died.

If he dies in there, you might be screwed.

After the bug dies it will likely dry up, fall apart and start decomposing. There is probably a good chance that after time it will "fall" from its perch on the lcd display, unless there is something holding it up.

Maybe try giving the screen a tap/jolt every once in a while and it might just fall down (and stop right in the middle of your screen :) )

Laforge said:
Cause when a product with a serial # is purchased from dell, it is linked to a dell account. - I.e. when Joe Smith buys monitor DFP2005W-124917153912 and then suzy blue calls up for support, they say "Wait, this isn't your monitor"

I worked for dell for 2 years.

First question we asked was "What is your service tag"

[or serial #]

"What is your name"

[Oh, sorry sir, that doesn't match. I cannot help you. Dell support is for registered owner only. If you need support, you will have to get the original owner to call in and transfer the item into your name]

"How would they know you didn't buy it" -- What, do you think they are a bunch of apes? - Come on.. there are these things called computers that keep large lists [we call them databases] of everything sold, and to whom.
They can call and transfer it? I was under the impression Dell ownership Warranty's were non-transferable.

Back