A little bit of Fast help pls, regarding a 260.

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
I am about to buy a gtx 260. It is an MSI one, it's product code is MSI N260GTX-T2D896.

Since the e-store does not say if it is 216 model or not, is there any way I can know that from the product number ?

If anyone could answer fast enough so that I can make my order and get it shipped in time today it would be nice, so that I could have it by tomorrow...

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT : Also, If it turns out to be not the 216 version, is it worth getting an xfx one with far cry 2 bundled in for 266e (the msi one goes for 225e) or a sapphire 4870 1gb for 220e ? I'm lost since I just found a buyer for my 8800gtx and I'm trying to decide fast what my next card will be so...

That MSI card is the 192SP version, not the 216SP version.

I recommend getting the XFX GTX260 since it has a lifetime warranty and XFX has better customer support than Sapphire

Thanks, I guess that takes out one of my choices.

So now between the xfx and the 4870 1gb, is it true that the 260 can achieve so much better overclocking that it leaves 4870 behind by a large margin?

Any owners could confirm that?

What about AA? If I take one or the other, will I be missing much in performance? I game at a 19'' monitor atm but I am planning to upgrade, so I will be gaming at 1680x1050 soon.

Sorry for the nature of my questions, I bet this is not the most original thread in the forums.

Thanks, I guess that takes out one of my choices.

So now between the xfx and the 4870 1gb, is it true that the 260 can achieve so much better overclocking that it leaves 4870 behind by a large margin?

Any owners could confirm that?

What about AA? If I take one or the other, will I be missing much in performance? I game at a 19'' monitor atm but I am planning to upgrade, so I will be gaming at 1680x1050 soon.

Sorry for the nature of my questions, I bet this is not the most original thread in the forums.

I recommend looking at benchmarks and the games you play. The two cards are such a close match. Some titles win on the ATI card, while others do better on the nVidia card. And if you're considering a future multi-card setup, remember that at least for now, (and actually for a while) SLI scales with more titles, and is a tad more reliable, even though the titles that do scale in CF seem to scale better in CF than in SLI. What motherboard do you have? Are you using the one in your build? That one's SLI isn't it? If so, the ESA software might be nice. One monitoring program to control the graphics card and motherboard...

Actually my m/b is crossfire, but since it is a P35 one, it probably is crossfire enabled only in theory, since practically it will run at 16x/4x. So that leaves me with no multi-gpu solution unless I choose to get a new m/b (not unlikely).

I have about one more hour to decide if it will be the 260 216 or the 4870 1gb... and yes, my gaming pc is the one in my sig.

I recommend looking at benchmarks and the games you play. The two cards are such a close match. Some titles win on the ATI card, while others do better on the nVidia card.

QFT. The performance between the HD4870 1GB and the GTX260 216/192 is pretty much a tossup. It really does depend on which game you're playing. Though you might also want to look at the customer support and warranty offered by the manufacturers of those video cards as well.

Thank you all for your help :D After searching a bit they managed to find me an XFX without the far cry 2 bundle (I am not interested in it, I'd rather keep the money) for 230e, shipping costs included. So I ordered it, and by tommorow evening it should be here.

:D I hope it lives a long happy life inside my carefully decorated cozy pc case :p

Thank you all for your help :D After searching a bit they managed to find me an XFX without the far cry 2 bundle (I am not interested in it, I'd rather keep the money) for 230e, shipping costs included. So I ordered it, and by tommorow evening it should be here.

:D I hope it lives a long happy life inside my carefully decorated cozy pc case :p

My 260 overclocks like CRAZY. You will have fun, and good tech support if you ever need it. You know, they say XFX is going to start making ATI stuff now too .... :D

Good company to buy from.

My 260 overclocks like CRAZY. You will have fun, and good tech support if you ever need it. You know, they say XFX is going to start making ATI stuff now too .... :D

Good company to buy from.

Could you possibly put some numbers next to the crazy overclockability?

That MSI card is the 192SP version, not the 216SP version.

I recommend getting the XFX GTX260 since it has a lifetime warranty and XFX has better customer support than Sapphire

except XFX recently defected to AMD and will no longer be making nvidia cards casting the lifetime part of that warranty into question...

Back