9800 Pro overclocks?

the setting in the bios is different. the card itself regulates voltage. ive heard that increasing your agp voltage does almost nothing for overclocking, except increase heat.

acascianelli said:
the setting in the bios is different. the card itself regulates voltage. ive heard that increasing your agp voltage does almost nothing for overclocking, except increase heat.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've been away for so long that I'm having to relearn certain things :).

ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256 Bios flashed to 9800XT and Modded for better cooling (Thermaltake Volcano 10+ on the GPU, big ramsinks and smaller ones on the power mosfets).

I am stable at 450/450 with no artifacts in doom3 (1024x768x32, High detail, 8xAF, NoAA)

Andrew87 said:
Is that 100% correct? I think mine's set at 1.5V in the BIOS. People told me not to touch that because it has it's own power source when I used to be a regular on the boards (months ago). Maybe that's why my overclock is so poor, either that or something to do with my powersupply, I've always suspected it, the 12.8V on the 12V rail has always been a bit suspicious.
AGP Voltage != Radeon Voltage. It does't matter what it is set at in your motherboard BIOS, the GPU runs indepedent of that.

Rizen said:
AGP Voltage != Radeon Voltage. It does't matter what it is set at in your motherboard BIOS, the GPU runs indepedent of that.

I know (acascianelli refreshed my memory on that ;)). But for any other people who've been away or for any newbies to the forum with no programming experience != means not equal too. While I appreciate the warning Rizen, I could have easily thought != was a typo and you meant AGP is equal to the 9800 voltage, and any people new to the boards may think the same. Just thought I'd say that so noone makes that mistake. It'd be a good excuse to upgrade if someone did fry their card like that but we can't all afford too :(. One day maybe the 6800GT will be within my reach :cool:.

Andrew87 said:
I know (acascianelli refreshed my memory on that ;)). But for any other people who've been away or for any newbies to the forum with no programming experience != means not equal too. While I appreciate the warning Rizen, I could have easily thought != was a typo and you meant AGP is equal to the 9800 voltage, and any people new to the boards may think the same. Just thought I'd say that so noone makes that mistake. It'd be a good excuse to upgrade if someone did fry their card like that but we can't all afford too :(. One day maybe the 6800GT will be within my reach :cool:.
Sorry, haha! I figured around these parts it would be common knowledge, or at least people could infer the meaning from my post.

As for AGP voltage, I've cranked it to 1.8v for a while doing RAM tests.. no real short term harm AFAIK, since it doesn't affect the voltages on the GPU or memory. I wouldn't recommend it though since it seems to have little effect on anything.

my card was running at roughly 410/370 everything stock, and running at 1.6v (?) then i slapped a waterblock and ramsinks on it and voltmodded the core to 1.8v and now i can hit 450/365 (lower memory for some reason, it also artifacts in doom3 now unless i step core down to 440)

I might up the voltage some more and see what happens, anyone ever try over 1.9v?

shit Wrydone can i have some of that memory? Mine wont budge even with ramsinks and higher voltage :mad:

R350 w/ vga silencer/tweakmonster ramsinks @ 445/375 using atitool. Can go to 460/380 with no visual artifacting.

Rizen said:
Sorry, haha! I figured around these parts it would be common knowledge, or at least people could infer the meaning from my post.

No prob, I've just been away a while and my minds still a bit rusty. I just realised my last post came across as a bit snobbish, sorry about that; I've had such a boring day doing nothing but I guess that's what MSN is for, bitch at people about how bored I am :D.

The worst thing about my card is it uses Samsung 2.2 or 2.5 (something like that) memory, has an r350 core and I fitted a VGA Silencer and AS5 to it - the result? Possibly the worst overclock on these forums - now that's value for money :rolleyes:. Still happy with it though, just a shame it takes 2 PCI slots.

Andrew87 said:
The worst thing about my card is it uses Samsung 2.2 or 2.5 (something like that) memory, has an r350 core and I fitted a VGA Silencer and AS5 to it - the result? Possibly the worst overclock on these forums - now that's value for money :rolleyes:. Still happy with it though, just a shame it takes 2 PCI slots.

Be a little happier, the vga silencer does dump out extra heat sitting in the case. :)

I have a sapphire 9800pro @462/728 (bios mod to xt) no artifacts with ati tool. and watercooled. I might volt mod it but havnt decided as of yet if it would be worth the risk.

BBA 9800Pro
so far: 412/360
havent taken HSF off yet to determine core

i have my r350 core @ 460 with artifacts only in doom3, if i drop it down to 450ish those go away and its 100% stable

just wish i got some better memory, im stuck at 365 for the memory, and voltmodding that just makes it worse

Mine runs everything except doom3 @ 475mhz core and 374 Ram. Flashed with gigacube bios...watercooled and ramsinks on the memory.

R350 256bit 128MB ATI card

I play doom3 all day at 450mhz

With the Pro bios, my 128MB R360 9800Pro did 450/380 in ATItool. I haven't tested with the XT bios I flashed, but I get a lot of white dots at that speed in Doom3. Dots go away at 445/380.

And the GPU doesn't get much warmer than 34C. :D

Yule Bryner said:
Has anybody ever seen any increase in overclocking or stability with ramsinks?
Nope, but ramsinks help the temps when you have a fan blowing over them. My ram was red hot without them, and I need my card to last a bit longer.

I've got an MSI RX9800 Pro that I have been able to OC to 420/750 without artifacts. I usually just do XT speeds for benchies and games sometimes. At XT speeds, I get a little over 6600 in 03.

BTW, these are the cards that are downclocked XTs, aka, "Radeon 9800XXL".

Max with some artifacts R350 on water: 450/400 (samsung ram)

24X7 430/380

Well i've got a Gecube 9800pro Platinum, which thankfully came built on an R360core :)

Great overclocker, however, the stock hsf was utterly crap. So i bought the Zalman VGA heatpipe cooler with fan, and now im getting 430/780 constantly with no artifacts whatsoever. Coupled with the rest of my system, and it hits just over 7k in 3DMark03. 7057 to be precise.

:)

this may be a dumb ? but what program is used to tell the temp of your vid card or is this a mod with a temp sensor

R350 there is no way to tell core temp.

R360's BBA afaik came with a sensor or at least with it turned on.

HaVoC said:
R350 there is no way to tell core temp.

R360's BBA afaik came with a sensor or at least with it turned on.

I just installed the new atitool 0.0.22 and it had a temp setting (said I have a r350) and shows temp now at 435/390 of 75/52 and has gone upwards of 76/52 withe the 2D view on.... is this accurate?

Currently at 410/360, stock heatsink with no ramsinks, ram gets pretty hot though. Here's hoping it doesn't blow up or something :p.

Back