8800 stock cooling???

ocbaud

Supreme [H]ardness
got a quick question. i recently bought an EVGA 8800gts 640mb card.

from my understanding, its a double slot card so it can exhaust the air out the back of the system through the grille?

why is it that most of the air leaves the card through the cut out slits on the bottom of the cooler right before the exhaust grille?

the slits on the cooler:
http://www.sdn.com.pl/photo/m_evga8800.jpg

now, i covered up the slits for about 5 minutes with some paper and all the hot air started blowing out the back like i thought it should.

can anyone explain to me why the card is designed the way it is? it just seems odd to me.

oh, and one thing i like is the decently quite fan :D my old one on my x800gto fireblade was LOUD.

No clue why it is designed that way but it must be for a reason. Perhaps the fan/design used can't exhaust all the air out of the back fast enough so it needs some where to go in the mean time? I am surprised you aren't seeing higher temps from covering up those slits. Most see worse results doing so. Your best bet is to uncover those slits and put a PCI exhaust slot blower right under the card to collect the heat that escapes those slits and have it exhausted right out of the system as well as from the video card. You should see a good 5c drop in temps from that doing.

There are probably only a few reasons to have those slots - either they allow heat to escape the card faster, or possibly they can allow cooler air to be drawn in and over the heatsink when it really heats up. Either way, I doubt the Nvidia engineers were "guessing" when they designed it...

No clue why it is designed that way but it must be for a reason. Perhaps the fan/design used can't exhaust all the air out of the back fast enough so it needs some where to go in the mean time? I am surprised you aren't seeing higher temps from covering up those slits. Most see worse results doing so. Your best bet is to uncover those slits and put a PCI exhaust slot blower right under the card to collect the heat that escapes those slits and have it exhausted right out of the system as well as from the video card. You should see a good 5c drop in temps from that doing.

I bought a PCI blower, that pulls cooler air in from the back of the PC and blows it into the fan of the GTS, works pretty well.

Antec makes it, forgot the links.

i think i have read where people have taped over them, has anyone tried this ? i woulder if it hurts or helps??

On my old 8800 GTS 320mb I taped the slots. I got about 5c better. The problem is that the hot air comes out of those slots, and works its way back to the GPU fan.

On my old 8800 GTS 320mb I taped the slots. I got about 5c better. The problem is that the hot air comes out of those slots, and works its way back to the GPU fan.

cool i will give it a try

thnx

thats what i was thinking.

i know the shader computer?? is located under those slots, so possibly they are there to help cooling if that?

I put an Antec super cyclone slot fan (takes up 2 slots but has a bigger blower) below the 8000 GTS. It has a 3-position switch which I normally leave on the slowest setting and it is nearly silent. For playing games I can switch it to a higher speed to draw more heat out of that area.

Mac[X-D];1031537389 said:
i think i have read where people have taped over them, has anyone tried this ? i woulder if it hurts or helps??

There have been a few mods in previous threads.

1: Cover taking off - higher temps.
2: Taking a piece of cardboard/paper and making it a makeshift vent into the 3rd pci slot on the case. - Better temps.. moderate change.
3: Electric tape over the cover vents - Big change in temp. +10c in the case of the thread. Very bad.
4: Redoing the thermal paste - better temps. Usually about 5c drop.
5: Adding a fan blowing cool fresh air from outside the case - best mod so far. usually a 5-10c drop in temp.
6: Taking the case off of the cooler and adding an 80mm fan. - Not much of a difference if anything it looks stupid.
7: Making a "fan bar" and rig it to blow air over the card - I don't remember much.. but it wasn't bad. Moderate temp change.

All in all, I am very happy with the cooler. It reminds me of the old AC coolers back in the 9800 and 6800 days. Very efficient and quiet enough for me.

Back