8800 GTS vs 8800 GT

SHIBALSL1CKZ

Weaksauce
I just built myself a system with a 8800 GTS card. People have been talking about 8800GT as the better card, but is it really that much better of a card?

It's better than the 320MB version of the GTS, and I believe right on par, if not, somewhat passing the 640MB version of the GTS, so it's somewhar in between the GTS and GTX

It's better than the 320MB version of the GTS, and I believe right on par, if not, somewhat passing the 640MB version of the GTS, so it's somewhar in between the GTS and GTX

if its better than the 320mb its better than the 640mb,has both them cards perform the same,up to 1680x1050 res,id say wait for something better,the 8800gt is only around 9fps better,than the gts.

Outperforms my 8800GTS 640.

DSC03316.jpg

I used to think that too but the gts640 is pretty much on par with GT once clocked to 600 or so, not really hard to achieve.

if its better than the 320mb its better than the 640mb,has both them cards perform the same,up to 1680x1050 res,id say wait for something better,the 8800gt is only around 9fps better,than the gts.

Lol 9 fps? even if people play at 1024x768? The GT is much faster than the GTS, it is just a little slower than the GTX

bench marks ive seen,between the gts and gt,all have around 9 to 10 fps more with the gt,that was at 1680x1050 res,on crysis, gears of war.

bench marks ive seen,between the gts and gt,all have around 9 to 10 fps more with the gt,that was at 1680x1050 res,on crysis, gears of war.

You need to look at this then. Saying the 8800GT is only around 9fps faster is misleading because it depends on games and resolution, imo the 8800GT is closer to 8800GTX than to 8800GTS.

I just built myself a system with a 8800 GTS card. People have been talking about 8800GT as the better card, but is it really that much better of a card?

The GT is truly the better card overall, at this point. Not only does it have a performance advantage over the GTS 640, but it also packs features, that the GTS does not, like hardware video decoding. When you consider its price, nothing can really challenge it @ $200-$250.
However, the GTS 640 is still a monster card. At higher resolutions (above 1600x1200), it may surpass the GT, in some situations, due to its larger amount of memory and wider memory bus.
If you were still thinking about buying a card, then I would recommend the GT, but since you already own the GTS 640, keep it.

My GT is roughly 30% quicker than my GTS 320MB. 3DMark06 is 3000+ higher with a GT (both cards at stock)

In real world gaming, I can run games with a lot more detail. For example I can now run Crysis at 1280 x 1024 with 2x AA and all settings set to high. With a GTS I was running medium detail with no AA (the difference between medium and high is a massive improvement IMHO) Half-life 2 Episode Two I can totally max out, before I was running low levels of AA and AF, 16AA and 16AF looks lovely, whilst providing consistently smooth framerates at all times.

There are other factors to consider too, the GT uses less power than a GTS. But the cooler is weak and noisy in comparison to the GTS cooler. You'll probably need to replace the stock cooler on the GT is you want to overclock it.

My advice would be to OC the bejesus out of your GTS for the time being and wait to see if the revised GTS cards appearing soon blow the GT out of the water. Or if you really need an upgrade card now, sell it on eBay and cut your losses (like I did, I'm impatient!!) :rolleyes:

I used to think that too but the gts640 is pretty much on par with GT once clocked to 600 or so, not really hard to achieve.

The GT is the better card, even overclocking GTS the GT slightly wins as seen in many reviews GT vs GTS OC versions.

And of course the GT is a decent overclocker, so it will still be ahead by about the same amount, both cards at max overclock.

There is really no debate here, very easy to find a few dozen reviews to show the GT is the overall winner.

The performance increase at high resolutions is pretty marginal. Moreover the cooling on the GT is hit or miss - if you end up with a card where the fan spins higher than 29 percent it's a bit loud apparently.

There's no good reason to buy a GTS instead of a GT, obviously, but there's no compelling reason to buy a GT if you already have a GTS 640, either, unless you're big on the hardware video decoding.

It's quite a bit faster in real world.....in that it can take Crysis from choppy-not much fun to playable.

It DID make a large difference in my "old" games like CoD2, Q4, I can literally max out everything and keep fast frames.

To me, the upgrade from my 640mb GTS WAS worth it, since I only paid $75 difference.

I decided to sell my GTS 640 while it still had some resell value left (sold it Sunday on ebay) and my EVGA Superclocked GT should show up today. After all shipping and ebay and paypal fees and everything I'm out $23 and get to deal with gaming on my old rig for 3 evenings.

Now, due to the EVGA step-up program my new card will hold 100% of it's value for 90 days, and after that I'd be willing to bet (in fact I am!) that the GT will sell better than the GTS 640.

All that said, if I hadn't thought that I could sell the GTS 640 for about the same price as the GT I'd have stuck with my GTS.

yes
8800gts 320 < 8800gts640 < 8800gt < 8800gtx < 8800 ultra

but for HIGH RES and FULL fsaa or aniso
then 8800gts 320 < 8800gt < 8800gts 640 < 8800gtx < 8800 ultra

You need to look at this then. Saying the 8800GT is only around 9fps faster is misleading because it depends on games and resolution, imo the 8800GT is closer to 8800GTX than to 8800GTS.

Did you read your own link?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800_gt_performance/page17.asp

The GT can fall below the 8800gts 640mb depending on settings. Also they always compare it to a stock (500mhz) GTS when every GTS I've seen can get at least 600mhz with A3 ones getting over 630mhz core. Thats with stock cooling.

9fps can be the difference between smooth gameplay and choppy crap, when you are talking minimums of say, 21fps vs. 30fps :p

I think you are experiencing some placebo effect The Rapture...

There is no way your GTS wasn't already smooth maxed out in Quake 4 or for the love of God CoD2, which is ancient.

Same with episode 2 - I already run that 16xAA/16xAF at 19x12 and I need to enable v-sync to keep the thing from tearing up because it always runs above 60 FPS.

I'm keeping my GTS 640 so that when the new GTS comes out I can get another "old" one for really cheap and go SLI.

I certainly wouldn't want to SLI the GTs since their coolers are already bad, then you have to buy double the aftermarket heatsinks, and you still aren't exhausting the heat out of your case. When you consider all that hassle and extra cost for minimal performance improvement the price advantage disappears.

I was considering a GT, but the heat and noise issues may lead me to pickup a used GTS for SLi

I think you are experiencing some placebo effect The Rapture...

There is no way your GTS wasn't already smooth maxed out in Quake 4 or for the love of God CoD2, which is ancient.

Nope, something with my package did not work well with the GTS. With Q4 if I set AA to 4x with everything else maxed, it was....choppy. Same with CoD2. Choppy, like a ginsu knife. It was not pure fps related, it was...well...choppy. And with vsync on with the GTS, no more tearing, now I had smooth chop.

This card is simply faster (of course it is) and I have found nothing that the GTS ran as well as this GT.

Back