8800 for CUDA, 5850 for Games?

woody75

Limp Gawd
I'm in the market for a new video card and will be replacing an 8800GT. I work as a software developer, mainly in C++, but just got started learning CUDA to use as a way to speed up my parallel code. Does anyone know if I can install the 8800 in one PCI-x slot and use it under Linux for code development and then use it for PhysX with a 5850 for gaming? It seems like it shouldn't be complicated but wanted to ask if anyone knows firsthand. I searched the forums and just found out it's possible to do the latter.

Also, does anyone know if ATi is working on a GPGPU tech (ATi Stream Tech maybe?) to use for parallel code development?

I don't know if it's still a pain, but at one point Nvidia's drivers locked out CUDA / PhysX support when they detected an ATI card in the system. Fairly sure there are hacks to get around this, but I haven't looked in to it myself.

Yes, ATI is working ona GPGPU tech, and yes, they're calling it Stream.

Thanks! Ideally I'd like to just replace the 8800GT. Using both in tandem would probably require more than my 550W Corsair PSU and I don't know if PhysX really adds anything anyway. I'll have to look into the Stream Tech a bit more. I had been considering a 5770 or 5830 over the 5850 due to cost but if I can use it for development, the extra money could be justified.

Fairly sure a 550w Corsair could handle both cards, but yes, I don't really know that PhysX adds anything worthwhile.

Back