$800-1000 pc build

HAQattaq

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to get the best gaming PC for roughly 800-1000 bones.
So far I'm going with the e8400 + Asus P5Q combo deal at Newegg. I added a NVDA 260 in there since that is where I need to be with a 24 inch monitor. I plan to install Vista Ultimate and re-use my current optical drive.

I'm a bit stumped on the power supply and case. I like those modular PSUs but I'm not sure if they are in the budget and I do need something powerful enough for the 260. I also need a suggestion on a cheap case that the GPU can fit in. Quiet is also a plus!

I'm at $654 - 65 on rebates so around $589 so far..

2942735356_7e21222c5b_o.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions!

I will definitely be adding a aftermarket cooler. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm a bit stumped on the power supply and case. Those are the only two things that I have no idea about. My current case has 2 120mm fans built-in but there is no way that 260 will fit in there. So if you have any thoughts on a compatiable PSU and a cheap, quiet case that will house the 260, I'm all for it.

(and thanks for the memory tip. I'm sure the DDR2 1000 is beats DDR2 800 for the money assuming I'd get the rebate check)

I will definitely be adding a aftermarket cooler. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm a bit stumped on the power supply and case. Those are the only two things that I have no idea about. My current case has 2 120mm fans built-in but there is no way that 260 will fit in there. So if you have any thoughts on a compatiable PSU and a cheap, quiet case that will house the 260, I'm all for it.

What are your requirements for cable management, air flow, etc.? Because you can go real cheap with the case and have a really hot, crappy airflow and/or cable management... It might be quiet cuz all your parts overheated LOL!

In terms of PSU, what will your load be like? 8 case fans, 5 external harddrives and 3 internal with DVD drive and overclocked CPU And a 260? Gotta tell us. That makes a difference.

For that system, your typical Antec 300 and Corsair 550W would be fine. However, there might be some deals on some Antec Earthwatts PSUs... so search for some. Otherwise, Corsair PSUs are probably your best bet. Cases are personal preference. The Antec 300 or 900, CM Centurion 532/534, RC-590, RC-690, and Antec P180/P182 series are very popular.

What are your requirements for cable management, air flow, etc.? Because you can go real cheap with the case and have a really hot, crappy airflow and/or cable management... It might be quiet cuz all your parts overheated LOL!

I don't need bells and whistles. Just something that's is probably middle of the road that has decent cable management options, sufficient airflow, etc.. The PC will sit under an open desk. Something that makes sense and that you would feel comfortable with without going overboard. :) thx

I don't rely on mail-in rebates to determine what I buy, but that's another subject for another time.

The reason for the RAM recommendation is for overclocking; assuming that you have plans to do so, you could easily push the processor to a higher OC with faster RAM. (There is a limit, though; that's why I didn't recommend faster RAM.)

One case that we often recommend around here is the Cooler Master RC-690. It has plenty of space for most people's needs and it supports up to seven 120mm case fans. You can pair it up with a quality power supply like the Corsair VX550 or the Antec Earthwatts EA650. If you need additional 120mm case fans, pick up either the Yate Loon D12SL/D12SM-12 fans or the Scythe "Slipstream" series fans.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
With this setup, I would even consider a small form factor system case like the SG03 or SG02 or SG01 even. Especially if you're not overclocking. But yes, the 690 is solid. I'm using one right now, in fact. Beware that one of the case fan placements on the side don't work with the Xigmatek taking up so much space. However, you can place another front case fan at the bottom of those 3.5" bays to kind of make up for it... Just make point inwards for intake of air.

tiraides makes good recommendations for the PSU.

With this setup, I would even consider a small form factor system case like the SG03 or SG02 or SG01 even.

I wasn't even aware that a nvda260 would fit in a small form factor. Although, I don't want to chop something up just to mickey mouse my vid card in. Seems airflow would be questionable as well? Thanks though.

One case that we often recommend around here is the Cooler Master RC-690. It has plenty of space for most people's needs and it supports up to seven 120mm case fans. You can pair it up with a quality power supply like the Corsair VX550 or the Antec Earthwatts EA650. If you need additional 120mm case fans, pick up either the Yate Loon D12SL/D12SM-12 fans or the Scythe "Slipstream" series fans.

Thanks again. I'm definitely leaning towards the RC-690 and it looks like the Corsair VX550 has been suggested twice so that will probably be the winner. Awesome.

Thanks again. I'm definitely leaning towards the RC-690 and it looks like the Corsair VX550 has been suggested twice so that will probably be the winner. Awesome.

That's not to say that the Antec EA650 is a bad power supply -- right now, it has the better deal. That said, you can't go wrong with either one.

The CM690 is a great choice, and so is the Antec 300. Also, I second the recommendation of Corsair or select Antec PSUs.

It's important not to go too cheap on the case. Believe it or not, the case is actually a very important part of the whole build. It can make building a computer very difficult or very easy, can have a major impact on temps and cable-gami, can dictate upgrade options (or lack thereof)... Putting nice parts (like those you've chosen), into just any cheap case wouldn't be a wise choice. If you want budget, go budget all the way. If you want good parts, go good parts all the way. Don't mix.

Heh, every piece of a computer is important. However, I consider the case the least important, since you can make any cheap case work for you if you're creative enough (the good ol' sidepanel off always works for college students on a tight budget, lol). :p

Though, the OP has the budget and is on the right track for a good case... I just had leave my opinion regarding cases. ;) Expensive, good cases (Silverstone, Lian-Li, etc) are like luxury cars... you don't need them, but they're sure nice to have. A pinto (generic geeks.com for $5 w/ FS) will get you from point A to point B. Most people go for a midrange Honda/Toyota/whateverBrandCar (Centurion 5 or RC-590/690).

Eh, nvm. Yeah, the SFF Systems require a little modding to get the modern video cards to fit. You COULD get the Mini P180 which is between a tower and an SFF but it's a tad on the expensive side. However, it is an excellent case with solid airflow and built for quiet as well as occupying minimal real estate in your room or on your desk.

+1 for the 690, it's a great case and can be had for around $57 AR link

Be sure to get an aftermarket cooler, my e8400, S1283 and P5Q Pro were stable at 4.0GHz no reason why you can't get there :D

Back