7970 Eyefinity in BF3 compared to my old 6950

eqpablon

n00b
I recieved my 3rd monitor for my eyefinity (5040x1050) setup before I received my 7970, so I've been playing BF3 in eyefinity using just the 1 HIS6950 for the past week.

To get playable frame rates on the 6950 I had to turn all settings to low, and turn off AA and AO. I didn't graph my FPS, so this is anecdotal. I played a lot of B2K and Caspian Border on 64 man servers. The lowest my FPS dipped was 25ish, and it peaked in the low 40's. The average was just above 30fps. I could still fly well at that fps, but it was really hard to run and gun.

With the 7970 in the rig I upped the IQ to medium, and was getting frame rates from the upper 60's to low 90's averaging around 75 fps. I've since since turned the Texture and Mesh quality to Ultra and my FPS still stays around 70fps.

BF3 is definitely playable in Eyefinity on a single 7970, but to get decent frame rates it appears you'll have to settle for a mix of Medium/Ultra graphics settings. Rig specs are in my sig.

I hope this info was somewhat helpful to those with 6950's thinking about upgrading to a single 7970 for eyefinity in BF3 :)

you should have bought another hd 6950 plus a small gtx 460 for physics. Les money , much more powerful with nvidia physics.!!!!

you should have bought another hd 6950 plus a small gtx 460 for physics. Les money , much more powerful with nvidia physics.!!!!

what? yeah...and draw 400 more watts of power...bf3 doesnt support physx if my memory is serving me correctly.

troll much?

I recieved my 3rd monitor for my eyefinity (5040x1050) setup before I received my 7970, so I've been playing BF3 in eyefinity using just the 1 HIS6950 for the past week.

To get playable frame rates on the 6950 I had to turn all settings to low, and turn off AA and AO. I didn't graph my FPS, so this is anecdotal. I played a lot of B2K and Caspian Border on 64 man servers. The lowest my FPS dipped was 25ish, and it peaked in the low 40's. The average was just above 30fps. I could still fly well at that fps, but it was really hard to run and gun.

With the 7970 in the rig I upped the IQ to medium, and was getting frame rates from the upper 60's to low 90's averaging around 75 fps. I've since since turned the Texture and Mesh quality to Ultra and my FPS still stays around 70fps.

BF3 is definitely playable in Eyefinity on a single 7970, but to get decent frame rates it appears you'll have to settle for a mix of Medium/Ultra graphics settings. Rig specs are in my sig.

I hope this info was somewhat helpful to those with 6950's thinking about upgrading to a single 7970 for eyefinity in BF3 :)

I agree :) I disabled CFX and ran for a bit using a single card, I couldn't really tell I was running a single card most of the time.

To be honest I did think about this; however Haste266's point about power draw is what kept me from doing it. I only have an Antec HCG 620 PSU, and I thought adding another 6950 would have been pushing it too far.

In order to CFX the 6950 I would have needed an upgraded PSU. With that additional cost the 7970 was actually cheaper, plus I can now sell my 6950 and recoup some of my money :)

I play 16 man SQ/TDM, and a 7970 gets between 30 and 54 fps with everything ultra, MSAA Off, and FXAA High at 6080x1200. Perfectly playable.

I play 16 man SQ/TDM, and a 7970 gets between 30 and 54 fps with everything ultra, MSAA Off, and FXAA High at 6080x1200. Perfectly playable.

Nice! I'm thinking I should turn FXAA up to high, and turn on HBAO and see where my frames go.

To be honest I did think about this; however Haste266's point about power draw is what kept me from doing it. I only have an Antec HCG 620 PSU, and I thought adding another 6950 would have been pushing it too far.

In order to CFX the 6950 I would have needed an upgraded PSU. With that additional cost the 7970 was actually cheaper, plus I can now sell my 6950 and recoup some of my money :)

Also on that note, I had 2 6970s and BF3 was not smooth @ eyefinity resolutions probably due to micro-stutter, the 7970 was the right choice IMO.

Back