7900xtx or 4080 super?

I didn't see anyone claim that Nvidia was way faster in Avatar; though it does appear to be about 15% faster there regardless. Stating that they're the same performance because upscaling/frame gen can put them at super high framerates is an odd argument; 'hey, just put them both on a 60hz display and they're exactly the same'! Depending on the game it can be anywhere from easy to hard to tell the difference between FSR and DLSS2 or AFMF and DLSS3 but that difference is almost always in favor of the Nvidia tech. Avatar has an issue where the UI doesn't update at the same rate as the rest of the image so you have weird artifacts around it with AFMF enabled. I don't think Avatar has DLSS3 so I don't think it can be directly compared; although that would be nice. Maybe one of those DLSS modders has managed to inject it?

CP2077 being 'boring after 15' hours is another odd argument. I thought we were talking about graphics tech? If we're going to shift the goalposts to it being about whether a game is fun or not one could argue that Avatar is just another boring copy-paste Ubisoft game...
Slamming CP2077 for being boring is a moronic edgelord take. The game is a fantastic RPG action game. At least 25% if the reason I'm motivated to buy a very good GPU is to play that game at 4k at max settings.

Slamming CP2077 for being boring is a moronic edgelord take. The game is a fantastic RPG action game. At least 25% if the reason I'm motivated to buy a very good GPU is to play that game at 4k at max settings.
The game is BORING AF

im sorry im not on the forum after being a member for over 14 years now to make people feel happy by agreeing with everything. Im old school. if a game is boring I will say it .. now back on topic I still think if RT is all you care about then by all means buy the leather jacket but if you want to get something different then buy red. The 7900xtx wont disappoint. Nor will the 4080s. It really boils down to one thing. RT... well lets add Cuda. Maybe you care about Cuda. There ya go Easy choice OP, Green or Red... or wait on Battlemage, I hear its supposed to be quite the GPU from Intel.

Oh yeah power... nVidia is far more power friendly than AMD. Amd will cost more in power. Ok there. 2pts for green 1 for red. Easy choice.

Since I own both nVidia and AMD I can use the features of whichever I want. My laptop is nvidia and my desktop is AMD. I like them both. They are both great hardware. But CP2077 is still boring - I dont care how any one feels get offended, see if I care. Game is 💩

Last edited:
The game is BORING AF

im sorry im not on the forum after being a member for over 14 years now to make people feel happy by agreeing with everything. Im old school. if a game is boring I will say it .. now back on topic I still think if RT is all you care about then by all means buy the leather jacket but if you want to get something different then buy red. The 7900xtx wont disappoint. Nor will the 4080s. It really boils down to one thing. RT... well lets add Cuda. Maybe you care about Cuda. There ya go Easy choice OP, Green or Red... or wait on Battlemage, I hear its supposed to be quite the GPU from Intel.

Oh yeah power... nVidia is far more power friendly than AMD. Amd will cost more in power. Ok there. 2pts for green 1 for red. Easy choice.

Since I own both nVidia and AMD I can use the features of whichever I want. My laptop is nvidia and my desktop is AMD. I like them both. They are both great hardware. But CP2077 is still boring - I dont care how any one feels get offended, see if I care. Game is 💩
I wasn't bored by it in the least and that was in the first 6 months of its release. I can't imagine how great it is now that it's been improved so significantly. An ideal mix between Dues Ex and GTA. And being on the forum for 14 years doesn't lend an opinion anymore weight when it comes to liking or not liking a game.

I wasn't bored by it in the least and that was in the first 6 months of its release. I can't imagine how great it is now that it's been improved so significantly. An ideal mix between Dues Ex and GTA. And being on the forum for 14 years doesn't lend an opinion anymore weight when it comes to liking or not liking a game.
14 years was not throwing weight around. It was stating that ive been here long enough and I have seen it all. Members come and members go. But the one that I have seen is that Hardforums didn't use to give AF what anyone cared about. Now everyone is offended by the mere thought of possibly even the most remote chance of being offended before an offense is even made and even that kind of pre-offense is offensive and offends them. Its ridiculous how squish this new generation of people are. I said I didn't like a game and immediately someone was offended. Even you were offended enough to rebuke me for offending you with an opinion that belongs to me.

As far as the game being improved - thats what I hear too. I only remember the game when it first came out and was plagued by every kind of issue and I was frustrated and never looked back. Maybe I could take another stab at it but its been so long now I dont even remember what to look for that has changed.

However, I really am trying to obey rules and keep this on topic. I initially recommended AMD because I am biased at this point in my life. I think a 7900xtx is a great card so far. It has more vram and is probably 99% as capable as the 4080S except maybe in ray tracing. And in buying AMD you help them financially so that the new Trillion dollar nvidia doesn't just shove shit down our throats for years instead of innovating. By supporting AMD and hell, even Intel, we are almost assuring that we get great competition.

Now im done replying and going back to encoding videos on my 3070ti while playing games on my 7900xtx. I love both the GPUs they are great. And the OP will love either or. And if there is any doubt at all then just get a 4080super. I am sure it will be fine until newer games need more VRAM and the card is a little starved but that is an assumption and weak prediction.

edit*** This looks hopefully. Maybe the game isn't pure poop, maybe a little less poopoo. I may reinstall it if this is just some of the latest reviews of the game being fixed:
1709259896636.png

Last edited:
14 years was not throwing weight around. It was stating that ive been here long enough and I have seen it all. Members come and members go. But the one that I have seen is that Hardforums didn't use to give AF what anyone cared about. Now everyone is offended by the mere thought of possibly even the most remote chance of being offended before an offense is even made and even that kind of pre-offense is offensive and offends them. Its ridiculous how squish this new generation of people are. I said I didn't like a game and immediately someone was offended. Even you were offended enough to rebuke me for offending you with an opinion that belongs to me.

As far as the game being improved - thats what I hear too. I only remember the game when it first came out and was plagued by every kind of issue and I was frustrated and never looked back. Maybe I could take another stab at it but its been so long now I dont even remember what to look for that has changed.

However, I really am trying to obey rules and keep this on topic. I initially recommended AMD because I am biased at this point in my life. I think a 7900xtx is a great card so far. It has more vram and is probably 99% as capable as the 4080S except maybe in ray tracing. And in buying AMD you help them financially so that the new Trillion dollar nvidia doesn't just shove shit down our throats for years instead of innovating. By supporting AMD and hell, even Intel, we are almost assuring that we get great competition.

Now im done replying and going back to encoding videos on my 3070ti while playing games on my 7900xtx. I love both the GPUs they are great. And the OP will love either or. And if there is any doubt at all then just get a 4080super. I am sure it will be fine until newer games need more VRAM and the card is a little starved but that is an assumption and weak prediction.

edit*** This looks hopefully. Maybe the game isn't pure poop, maybe a little less poopoo. I may reinstall it if this is just some of the latest reviews of the game being fixed:
View attachment 638679
You didn't offend me with your opinion I just pushed back bc it's a ridiculous thing to say about the game IMO

Appreciate your input on the GPUs however, which is the point of this thread

Well isn't that how nVidia works??
With DLSS and all that magic jazz

So why are you assuming nVidia is superior to AMD when nVidia was using fairy magic long before AMD?
DLSS is pretty amazing. And I never thought I would say that about an upscaler. But, it is more than just an upscaler. DLSS's Anti-aliasing is the best there is. You can run DLSS with input resolution=output resolution, so no upscaling but still get the AA (called DLAA), and get superior image quality and fast.

For reviews and benchmarks, I think it's fine if they start including DLSS and FSR in those results, but these affect picture quality, so that has to be included as well. I have seen no example where FSR looked better than DLSS, and few where it looked equal.
So sure, they can add a page with DLSS and FSR results, but they need to also do an image quality review with them.
...Is cp2077 better on nVidia - you betcha but the game is an abysmal pit of boredom after about 15 hours (personal opinion)...
Cyberpunk 2077 is the best game I have ever played... and I have played a lot of games.
To say it is boring and mean it, sounds like you never played it. If you ran it on an AMD gpu the experience was very likely less than optimal... Assuming you own the game. If you own the game you should play it on 3080 or better GPU.

To get it looking good: Turn off motion blur and Depth of Field. Turn off upscaling if your GPU is fast enough. If you use upscaling use Quality. Turn on HDR if your LCD supports. This is an amazing looking game.
But the game itself regardless of the graphics is one of the best there is.

My opinion on good games, so you can see it is in good company:
Amnesia the Dark Descent (+Rebirth sequel)
Cyberpunk 2077
Aliens vs Predator 2 (+expansions)(~2001)
No One Lives Forever (+expansions, sequel)
Half-Life series
System Shock 2, SS1 remake
S.t.a.l.k.e.r series
Portal series
Fallout 1,2,3,nv,4
Jedi Knight series
Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor
Witcher series
Doom series (old, new)
Quake I, II, III
Serious Sam series
Painkiller series

and before all of those were King's Quest V, Space Quest IV, some others.

Also many people are postulating that this is going to DESTROY FSR and DLSS and become the upscaler of choice because it's goes beyond prorietary methods of pixel magic and fairy spells to upscale.
I'll wait for results. In the meantime I use DLAA whenever possible. The AA built into DLSS is so good, that it can make DLSS Quality (upscaled+DLAA) look better than native res using any other AA tech. If DIrectSR cannot do that, I will not be using it. That DLAA tech I suspect is what makes DLSS look great, and is what AMD hasn't matched. For examples see my old post in HF Tech News on the Jedi Survivor DLSS mod from Puredark, I put many screenshots in there.

Last edited:
Kinda wild this is still going, as an owner of a 7900 XTX, if both are 1000 dollars you get the 4080s. I think the 7900 XTX should be 150-200 dollars cheaper. If you're budget is 800 and there's a 7900 XTX available at that price, just go for it. If your budget is a 999, you get a 4080s. I don't think 24 gb of Vram is going to matter at 4k as much as the RT performance.

Kinda wild this is still going, as an owner of a 7900 XTX, if both are 1000 dollars you get the 4080s. I think the 7900 XTX should be 150-200 dollars cheaper. If you're budget is 800 and there's a 7900 XTX available at that price, just go for it. If your budget is a 999, you get a 4080s. I don't think 24 gb of Vram is going to matter at 4k as much as the RT performance.

It's definitely wild AMD hasn't lowered the MSRP of the 7900XTX, or released a faster updated version. The card has been out a year and the $999 4080S is almost a couple months old now.

Just doing some reading online, and it even seems the 7900 XTX could be found late last year on sale for just over $800.

My last non Nvidia GPU was an ATI X800 and I would absolutely love to tinker with a 7900 XTX in a second pc. I just have no incentive to at these prices.

It's definitely wild AMD hasn't lowered the MSRP of the 7900XTX, or released a faster updated version. The card has been out a year and the $999 4080S is almost a couple months old now.

Just doing some reading online, and it even seems the 7900 XTX could be found late last year on sale for just over $800.

My last non Nvidia GPU was an ATI X800 and I would absolutely love to tinker with a 7900 XTX in a second pc. I just have no incentive to at these prices.
Yeah I don't know what they're thinking, I think there's a real chance AMD just didn't make that many of them. I've seen a bunch of sales on AIB models around the 800 mark but they're infrequent and sell out quickly. Mine was used so I paid 800ish for it. It's a solid card but that's really what it's worth in today's market.

Reactions: pavel
like this

AMD claimed rdna3 was good for up to 3ghz so a 7950 was basically expected to show up around this point but never did. Seen a few posts on forums from around summer last year with expectations for it to pop up around January, but nothing to date. :cautious:

The current lack of a 7950 doesn't necessarily mean rdna 3 can't scale to 3ghz.
Yeah, I had a stock 7900 XTX (Nitro+) that would hit 3GHz easy. AMD doesn't need a card with a new BIOS on it...they need something with 15% or so more muscle.

Yeah, I had a stock 7900 XTX (Nitro+) that would hit 3GHz easy. AMD doesn't need a card with a new BIOS on it...they need something with 15% or so more muscle.
Let's be honest here, AMD could release a card that hits 5GHz and still get their lunch taken in performance by an Nvidia GPU running "slower" and using much less power. So what does the GHz number even matter?

Let's be honest here, AMD could release a card that hits 5GHz and still get their lunch taken in performance by an Nvidia GPU running "slower" and using much less power. So what does the GHz number even matter?
It matters since the 7900 XTX at stock trades blows with the 4080/4080S and even beats the 4090 in a rare game or two. So if they pump it up 15% more that gets attention and can eat away at the $1000 level that NVIDIA has taken over with the 4080S.

7900XTX JUST BECUSDE OF THE CONNECTOR F THAT ENGINEERING SAMPLE OF A CONNECTOR

It matters since the 7900 XTX at stock trades blows with the 4080/4080S and even beats the 4090 in a rare game or two. So if they pump it up 15% more that gets attention and can eat away at the $1000 level that NVIDIA has taken over with the 4080S.
The only games the 7900xtx beat a 4090 were the games that were sponsored by AMD and rumored to be gimping performance on Nvidia. Had this been the other way around torches and pitchforks would have been seen from this forum, but since AMD can do no wrong, it was largely ignored. So besides those bullshit examples, please provide a source for a neutral game that a 7900xtx beats a 4090.

The only games the 7900xtx beat a 4090 were the games that were sponsored by AMD and rumored to be gimping performance on Nvidia. Had this been the other way around torches and pitchforks would have been seen from this forum, but since AMD can do no wrong, it was largely ignored. So besides those bullshit examples, please provide a source for a neutral game that a 7900xtx beats a 4090.
What I said is true. Not trying to start some kind of tit for tat. What you said was obviously not true - 5GHz RDNA3 would make a diff :)

Look at the differences as an aggregate - not bad for sub 3 GHz (it’s 4080S but 7900 XTX and 4090 are there)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-super-founders-edition/31.html

What I said is true. Not trying to start some kind of tit for tat. What you said was obviously not true - 5GHz RDNA3 would make a diff :)

Look at the differences as an aggregate - not bad for sub 3 GHz (it’s 4080S but 7900 XTX and 4090 are there)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-super-founders-edition/31.html
So no source on any game that the 7900xtx beats a 4090 that's not been sponsored and rumored to gimp nvidia in one way shape or form? Got it.

Here's a 7900 XT for 499, just buy this and turn your settings down a little. Really only 20-30 percent slower than a 7900 XTX Sapphire Pulse 7900 XT

Edit: Same model but 800 for an XTX 7900 XTX

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I always buy my graphics cards from GooooBlanket-us :p
You know it!

sichuanxueyewangchengkejiyouxiangongsi is the most trustworthy business name in graphics!

Here's a 7900 XT for 499, just buy this and turn your settings down a little. Really only 20-30 percent slower than a 7900 XTX Sapphire Pulse 7900 XT

Edit: Same model but 800 for an XTX 7900 XTX

Is it even 20-30%? I thought it was more like 10%?

EDIT: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-super-founders-edition/31.html
looks to be around 10-15% depending on resolution. I understand why everyone was butthurt about the $1k vs $900 at launch. FYI the 7900 XT seems to be the sleeper used card...real cheap prices at least versus the 7900 XTX which is holding value pretty well.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I can’t use AMD sponsored games - hm…how about Battlefield?

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-super-founders-edition/11.html

I’ve been trying to tell you that I don’t care but you keep at it. I am an AMD fanboy with a 4080S, 4070 Ti S, and a 4070S currently. It’s been really tough for me I can’t find AMD Adrenalin anywhere!
The engine designer for dice that created the frostbite engine had amd cards and liked them. So this engine is biased towards AMD, but I will give that it is not sponsored. Too bad frostbite engine games are all garbage anyways.

You care enough to keep posting and defending the worst take of this decade, that a 7900XTX is somehow able to be on par and/or beat a 4090. I have my criticisms about Nvidia, but holy shit that comment of yours is bat shit crazy.
Zero has quite possibly the most useless takes I've seen when it comes to these topics.
The second worst take of this decade. Nice try though.

The engine designer for dice that created the frostbite engine had amd cards and liked them. So this engine is biased towards AMD, but I will give that it is not sponsored. Too bad frostbite engine games are all garbage anyways.

You care enough to keep posting and defending the worst take of this decade, that a 7900XTX is somehow able to be on par and/or beat a 4090. I have my criticisms about Nvidia, but holy shit that comment of yours is bat shit crazy.

The second worst take of this decade. Nice try though.
You should read my original post. I am afraid you are overreacting.

https://hardforum.com/threads/7900xtx-or-4080-super.2032858/page-5#post-1045842042

I said ZERO controversial things, lol...

7900 XTX trades blows with the 4080/4080S - very close

7900 XTX beats the RTX 4090 in the rare game or two (AMD sponsored, whatever it is - but yes there are 1-2 games)

You should read my original post. I am afraid you are overreacting.

https://hardforum.com/threads/7900xtx-or-4080-super.2032858/page-5#post-1045842042

I said ZERO controversial things, lol...

7900 XTX trades blows with the 4080/4080S - very close

7900 XTX beats the RTX 4090 in the rare game or two (AMD sponsored, whatever it is - but yes there are 1-2 games)
Not overreacting at all. I'm simply stating the obvious. Saying that a rare game or two implies that there is nothing wrong with the game, when that's just not the case at all. Most, if not all of those games have been called out for this shenanigans but nothing ever came of it because it's cool to give AMD a pass. The fact that the only games a 7900XTX matches or "beats" a 4090 are games that are built to be bias to AMD and intentionally gimp Nvidia, full stop. If this is were the other way around this forum and many other places would be crying murder, but it's cool to hate on Nvidia and praise AMD so no one cries foul.

I always buy my graphics cards from GooooBlanket-us :p
lol what, is that a real seller?? What do they sell, sextoys??
You know it!

sichuanxueyewangchengkejiyouxiangongsi is the most trustworthy business name in graphics!
All kinds of shady resellers on Amazon. Anything with high rating, be sure to read some reviews. Resellers will put something simple up, lets say a butter tray. Put a card in every box for a $10 amazon giftcard for leaving a review, get a quick 1000 5 star reviews over a month, edit the item and item description from a butter tray to a sketch usb hub, and Amazon lets the existing reviews and rating stay. Scammy shit like that all over Amazon from 3rd party resellers.
GPU's on Amazon are almost always selling at an inflated price.

Last edited:
LOL my bad, I forget Amazon has as ton of shady stuff on it from time to time. You'll have to forgive me it's been a busy week with my basement flooding / washing machine dying. I'm tired, getting old and stupid.

Seems like the seller removed both cards :p

I wonder if GooooBlanket-us is a [H] reader

A game that even the top flagship cards can't do at 60fps (@ 4K)?

It might do that but at a much higher power consumption and higher temps. No one will agree with me, I suspect - but, that would be my guess why you won't see a 'refresh' - unless, there's some tweak they can do with the design and I dunno if they can.
From my reading, many ppl are doing repastes and using waterblocks or whatever on these cards - and it appears, they kinda need them.
I dunno if just running stock or even undervolting helps - but, when you see comparisons to 4080s and 4080 Supers - even when the 7900 xtx is 'beating it' in the games, they do at the expense of higher power consumption and temps. Pretty much every time.

The game is BORING AF

I am sorta confused here.

If both cards, outside of RT are the same, why wouldn't you buy the similar priced card that also offers an extra feature?

It seems you are suggesting AMD just "to buy something different".

Seems counterproductive to buy a GPU, similarly priced, with less features just "to be different".

I mean, you can do you and so whatever you want, but it's shitty advice.

I am sorta confused here.

If both cards, outside of RT are the same, why wouldn't you buy the similar priced card that also offers an extra feature?

It seems you are suggesting AMD just "to buy something different".

Seems counterproductive to buy a GPU, similarly priced, with less features just "to be different".

I mean, you can do you and so whatever you want, but it's shitty advice.
who gives a shit. Buy whatever you want.

Last edited:
Back