7900 GTX specs?

no its not, but both 7800's and X1800's have supported up to 1gig of memory as well, doesn't mean they'll release it (jeesus that'd be one expensive card)

Epic said that for Unreal 3 you want a video card with 1GB of memory.

when did they say that? during their tech demo they said it would come with a recommendation of 256, and a minimum of 128, with them suggesting 512 for best performance

kcthebrewer said:

And which top end 1GB gaming card will their testers be using to back this claim up?

Crysis have you seen it? Have you seen how many textures need to be rendered in it's long draw distance scenes? Do you think that will fit in 256mb's of space? Or 512? Unreal 3 will have such high res textures that 1gig is needed no matter if it's been tested or not. Also I believe there are cad cards with 1gig of memory on them.

Ok you haven't answered the question.....

Show which gaming card that uses 1GB to back the claim up.

All you've said is what you 'think'.....

And the shots/video you have seen are demo's of DX10 I beleive....it is unlikely that there will be a top end 256mb DX10 card, in any case it is of no relevance to Unreal 3....

Well this is disappointing... the 7800 GTX 512 is using faster memory than this thing... I was hoping for 32 pipes.

... not that it matters anyway cuz I can't afford this stuff anymore.

just because a game dosn't need it now dosn't mean you should be forced to either way off until later this year to buy your new video card or be stuck with only 256mb of ram because right now 512 or even 1gig isn't neccesary. Call Of Duty 2 and Battlefield 2 utilize 512mb of video ram and these arn't even close to being as cool as Unreal 3 or Crysis. I am pretty sure Epic knows how much memory it needs if you choose to use the best quality settings.

kcthebrewer said:

while you may 'want' it, the game will certainly be playable with 256MB.

Zinn said:
Well this is disappointing... the 7800 GTX 512 is using faster memory than this thing... I was hoping for 32 pipes.

... not that it matters anyway cuz I can't afford this stuff anymore.

maybe its a mistake? :confused:

drizzt81 said:
while you may 'want' it, the game will certainly be playable with 256MB.
COD 2 runs on 128mb of video ram dosn't mean it runs and looks it's best though on such a setup. Most people don't look for settings just to "run" the game they look for something that will run the game at best quality and will run future games aswell for a year or so.

Is that not what 2 gb of RAM on your motherboard is for? Its definately more efficient for your video card to house all textures etc on the card, but theres shouldnt be that big of a hit when it has too pull them from your RAM. a 512 mb card and 2 gb of memory should do the trick.

Because it's slower to store it in the system ram and also your system ram is storing lots of other information. Hell between 200-300mb of it is used for windows alone. So when you have 3gig's+ of information going through your ram video card and other stuff being bogged down by only 256mb of video ram is something to think about.

Yea but its kinda scary, cause a 512 videocard is going for 600+ could you imagine what a videocard that has a GIG of onboard memory would cost? It would be like 800 dollars :(

yea but if you can get a 7800 GTX with 256 for 400 but for this sake lets say 500. a 512 version is 600 bucks. so with that an extra 256 is 100 dollars. So an extra 512 is 100 + 100 = 200. so 600 + 200 = 800. Just my train of thought on the situation.

Back